Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomical society approval!

Wanderers

My local society told me that if I want to attend I get 3 meetings and then the committee decide on my suitability. 

I'm 63 and well past that!

Is that normal? If so it's easy to see how people get put off. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Wanderers said:

My local society told me that if I want to attend I get 3 meetings and then the committee decide on my suitability. 

I wouldn’t be doing with any of that, they should be grateful to have you! The clubs I’ve joined (or have run) let prospective members try them out for size for a few months before deciding if they want to join. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Wanderers said:

These days I find all clubs a hassle. I don't need them to enjoy my astronomy!

Besides, I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member... :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

It does seem a bit officious. But then again there may be a reason why the club has adopted that policy;  maybe they have been mucked about before by members. If it's the only club in reasonable travelling distance for yourself then why not go along and see what it is actually like, remember you will also be assessing them to see if they fit your needs.  It works both ways. 

Jim 

• Like 5

Sounds reasonable if they're a combined outfit with the local Lodge...

In all seriousness, I'm a member of an astronomical society in Devon.  I live in Kent but my Dad is a member too, so I have hung around a few times.  No questions asked about my membership.

Ultimately the society's membership policy is entirely up to them provided it doesn't fall foul of discrimination laws - but they may find it hard to maintain a membership if they have onerous requirements.

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus
  • Like 2

You could try them and you can decide if they meet your standards. If not you can tell them that on this occasion they have not been successful!

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

Nothing like that applies to my astro society. We welcome new members. No vetting or approval process. 

No Vulcans though, obviously 😉

Edited by John
  • Haha 5

All of our regular DDAS meetings are open to the public although the meeting fee is £3 for visitors rather £1 for members. If eventually they want to become a member then fair enough, if not then they are still welcome to attend when it suits them.

• Like 3

I am the treasurer of a society whose mission statement includes being free (we work on donations and fundraising activity only) and for everyone so anybody who has an interest can show up.

Perhaps they had a bad experience in the past and have become more selective. As others have said, it is a two way process so you could still check them out and see if they fit you too. Would be a shame to miss out completely if they are the only local society available.

• Like 3

The only club that ever asked me tests of admission was a Magic club 😅

I too have been very involved in committees/mods groups for both clubs and online forums, and I understand that it can be annoying when all you do as part of those committees is dealing with new comers who treat clubs like a paying service, instead of a community. But I don't think that adding a clause like the one you mention is the right way to deal with it - and the few times that I saw it at work it backfired spectacularly leading old members to leave too. I personally would not put up with it if I was looking to join a club, but only because of my past experiences with people who would think of such rules in clubs - it's a knee jerk reaction, more than a reasoned argument.

• Like 3

I wasn't hugely enamoured with the astronomy club that I went along to for a couple of meetings.  The first one I went to in order to see what it was all about they didn't even have a telescope at and weren't that interested in the fact that I had taken my brand new scope and wanted to find out how to use it.  Then I went for a evening when they were supposed to be actively viewing and that turned out to be a couple of people with scopes in someone's back garden and I had to lug all my equipment down a narrow path into a back garden and still no-one was interested in helping me out with my kit and how to set it up and wanting to chat about what I was seeing and helping a newcomer get interested so I gave up on the notion that astronomy clubs were a good thing.  Their loss IMO considering the land I could have offered them away from the town they were in for overnight viewing possibilities.   I prefer membership of SGL - far more enthusiasm and advice than ever got in front of 'real astronomy club members'.  If I were the OP I don't think I'd bother with that attitude to club membership.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, tomato said:

What are they going to do to establish if you are suitable to join over the three meetings, trial by combat, or see if you can collimate an RC in under 3 minutes?

Perhaps they just check you’ve got elbow patches on your jacket and sufficient hair growing out of your ears?

The latter criteria being a good reason for male dominance of such clubs 🤪🤣

• Haha 6

Name and shame the group.  As one of the founding members of the Letchworth and District A.S one of our constitutional conditions was that we welcomed everyone, young and old and from all walks of life to join.  We naturally included rules and procedures to remove someone's membership should that person become disruptive, abusive or brought the group into disrepute, but we never vetted applicants. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Wanderers said:

I don’t think that’s normal…

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Stu said:

Perhaps they just check you’ve got elbow patches on your jacket and sufficient hair growing out of your ears?

The latter criteria being a good reason for male dominance of such clubs 🤪🤣

Elbow patches - check

Nasal hair resting on top lip - check

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Ags said:

Run a thousand miles, then run some more.

More seriously, as a member of a minority grouping, I would never consider joining that society. I have enough qualms about joining even the most open societies.

• Like 4

Maybe go to the the 3 meetings, be the best potential member they have ever had then when they offer you membership turn them down and explain that you don't find their application process fair and who are they and what are their qualifications and what are their criteria to decide if you are 'suitable'?

• Like 3