Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi paint

42 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Ed Ting bought a blue Takahashi and after a month or two it drove him nuts. He ended up getting it repainted to the standard Takahashi colours.

Tak switched to the blue with the 2nd run of the FC100-DL's. Mine is from the 1st run so it's black.

Personally I prefer the black but I guess I am biased 🙄

• Like 1

When I first got my 102 there were a couple of tiny chips in the paint, I ordered the tiniest bottle of Tak paint from Tak America which after shipping and exchange rate cost me more than a gallon of premium wall paint, ridiculous.

6 hours ago, John said:

Tak switched to the blue with the 2nd run of the FC100-DL's. Mine is from the 1st run so it's black.

With a full blue or black tube? I thought that the previous owner may have painted it blue. Ed had trouble removing the lens cell due to being stuck in place with paint.

Edited by bosun21

6 hours ago, John said:

Here is the video showing a photograph of the blue Takahashi. The section starts around 6m 30 secs.

5 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Ferrari red isn't so bad... :biggrin:

D5H_0960Rd.jpg.c8185958e7977c189c81742c961e15f5.jpg

Eeeek!

Looks like you have a Baader 37mm Click Lock extension tube attached, is this required to reach focus with the Baader Diagonal, also do you get good wide field views with the Vixen 42mm LVW.

John 

7 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Looks like you have a Baader 37mm Click Lock extension tube attached, is this required to reach focus with the Baader Diagonal, also do you get good wide field views with the Vixen 42mm LVW.

It's the standard Tak fit click-lock https://www.baader-planetarium.co.uk/shop/baader-2-m72a-clicklock-clamp-for-takahashi-telescopes/

The 42mm LVW gives 3.7° - gives great views!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sunshine said:

When I first got my 102 there were a couple of tiny chips in the paint, I ordered the tiniest bottle of Tak paint from Tak America which after shipping and exchange rate cost me more than a gallon of premium wall paint, ridiculous.

Didn’t they descibe it as “reassuringly expensive “? 😊

• Haha 3

If you were to ask me about the cosmetic condition of any of my telescopes, I'm happy to say that I can give an absolutely precise answer in every case, without leaving my desk. The answer is, 'Dunno., I don't look at them, I look through them.'

As for this,

22 hours ago, John said:

It didn't stop William Optics having a go 😲

image.png.7bb1c84da834d65a8bb4beef810e8a0a.png

...vomitworthy. How embarrasing is that?

Olly

• Haha 3

On 10/11/2023 at 19:29, Marvin Jenkins said:

I am not the oldest member on this site by a long long shot but I clearly remember this question coming up in 2019 maybe.

I distinctly remember the thread being shut down as some members “got hand bags at dawn” about owning a Tak and then getting cheap on paint.

I don’t care one way or the other but it does make me giggle. What should be be taken more seriously is the term “handbags at dawn” which I suspect many people across the pond and farther afield may find confusing.

It basically describes a fight outside a pub (bar) or disco tech (nightclub) between drunken ladies hitting each other with handbags.

The truth which I have witnessed in Skegness (don’t ask) is actually far more violent and traumatic.

M.   I just use the single letter in moments of stress.

I think it was me who posted some pictures of cheap paint I used to paint a Tak clamshell from the new colour to the old. The thread was closed. I think the paint cost me less than £2 per bottle. It has lasted well.

Tamiya Colour XF21 

Edited by Cleetus

6 hours ago, JeremyS said:

And reported to RSPCT. 
Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Taks.

I've had just the one Tak, a Sky90.  I had to cut an inch off the main tube to get a focus with binoviewers and drilled three new holes in it.  Used it only for solar, my first night time view through it was shortly after I'd sold it, quite impressive for such a small aperture.      🙂  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded the Dulux app for iPhone. It (allegedly) can use the phone camera to match a particular colour.  I don't know how it handles colour temperature of the lights! in any case most paints exhibit metamerism anyway (they look different under different lighting).

That said the Dulux app thinks Tak green is "Dulux warm straw" and the local hardware store has a Dulux mixing machine. They probably won't sell anything less than a gallon though.

I'll have to check that Tamiya paint..

Edited by orly_andico
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...