Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 2023 Challenge 9 - The Earth and the Moon

Earth bound objects with the moon in the background are very popular with photographers.  Here is your chance excel!  It could be a long focal length shot showing a big moon against some foreground object or you might prefer something wider field.  It should be a single shot so no animations for this challenge.  Composite images combining separate images of the moon and foreground are also excluded.  

If anything is unclear please don't hesitate to message me.

Start date 1st October 2023

End date 31st December 2023

No entries will be accepted after this date.

As previously the winner and runners up will receive an SGL challenge mug showing their image along with a virtual medal-of-honour for their SGL signature.

Please post entries directly into this thread

To keep the thread manageable for the judges please do not post comments about entries, emoji reactions are welcome of course.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please make a fresh post within the thread.
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

• Like 1

I have been asked about whether images derived from more than one exposure are acceptable.  It is quite acceptable to use multiple images of the same field of view for focus stacking, HDR and noise reduction.  The composite images which aren't acceptable are images of different focal lengths and fields of view.  Typically this would involve combining a long focal length lunar image with a wide field foreground.  

• Like 1

A previous point made was the suggestion of not allowing multiple entries in from the same person though how you'd distinguish from multiple accounts (if people really wanted to do so) would be another matter. This would level the playing field for those with such things as other life commitments and I think should be open to amendment.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my go at 'Earth and Moon', which came as a bit of surprise to me as I have had the benefit of rain, fog and clouds for many autumnal nights in Lowestoft.

So tonight, I went to the shop on our street to buy a packet of crumpets to cheer myself up and noticed that the full Moon was more or less visible between clouds.  So I walked with some purpose back to our house and retrieved my Canon DSLR 600d and a standard Canon EOS zoom lens from their case.  Now the Moon was rising above the shop and our house is about 400 metres from the shop, so I thought to myself, just about on for a 'Big Moon' photo with my zoom at about f=200mm. My image was made with just two RAW exposures. Two because to see the clouds, trees and telegraph pole the image of the Moon was completely blown out and was much improved by overlaying  and blending the Moon correctly exposed  and showing a bit of detail  - all done with the same camera , lens and handheld on the same night.  I hope this is within the rules!

The image was processed and cropped using Affinity Photo2 and denoised using the freeware AstroClean.  I have spent much of the day working on a watercolour landscape painting and thought the ever present clouds worked in this image in a painterly watercolour way. Never thought I would be extolling the benefits of clouds for astrophotography!

Moon 29_10_2023 Rising over One Stop small.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Here's an image I captured this morning.

I was just packing up to leave for work when I saw the morning sky, clouds clearing and the Moon up high. Quickly grabbed the camera for this shot, which made me 5 minutes late for work 🙄

Canon 77D + 70-300L at 70mm, handheld using in-camera HDR.

image.thumb.jpeg.b28f01502a9385296902fd9d4dfcdec0.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to capture these loving couple yesterday with the moon in the background.

I think it would had been a great picture if I had managed to focus it properly 😅. Unfortunately, the moon was quite high in the sky so I had to do a deep squat to get the birds into the frame, and it was quite difficult to get a good picture in such an unstable posture.

I would have given it another shot, but the birds were probably annoyed by having their privacy invaded and decided to take off, so I will have to stick with that.

Picture taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70.

Picture.JPG

• Like 10

I took this with my mobile phone tonight, just in the spirit of taking part. 20231123_185421.thumb.jpg.3b77eb42e02431e33378665a3b28c648.jpg

I think it qualifies as the moon is in it along with my garden trees

Edited by JOC
  • Like 5

Taken with the 5 pixel tablet camera that we have. The photo may look blurry but did what I can.  The moon is westward in the photo here in the evening. This was when we went for the beach end of last month. 

Camera- Huawei Media pad T3 10 camera (5 pixel).

Thanks!

NikolaiIMG_20231124_144057.thumb.jpg.f10327f4d93f6a4cdec1daa2a6865ff0.jpg

• Like 2

Out on an afternoon walk today and I grabbed a few phone shots of the Moon in different poses.

This one shows a good spot for an observatory.

Positives are: plenty of electricity for a modern imaging rig!

Negatives: ugly great power poles to the immediate north and south!

This is overlooking the Eden Valley, the Warcop Range in the distance and Appleby hidden in the valley bellow.

20231125_154847.thumb.jpg.529f2cce7d70714cc1390e65fece9c61.jpg

• Like 5

Tonight we had a double halo caused by high atitude ice crystals, so by squatting on the ground I managed to get a tree in the bottom of the photo which I hope is sufficiently Earthly for the challenge. That's Jupiter to the right of the Moon.

Nikon D610 with VR 70-200mm F2.8G lens at 70mm, f2.8, 1/25s, ISO1600.

DSC_2044.thumb.JPG.e6604d223ede7d256d102e00f11fa877.JPG

• Like 6