Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is Your Droolworthy Telescope?

I've always been a huge fan of Planewave CDK and RC telescopes and I was just browsing their website tonight and came across this picture that I just had to share with you. It features a 1 metre and two 600 mm aperture telescopes installed in Chile.

What is your droolworthy telescope?

obstech.jpg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

@doublevodka I can see why you like this. It has very clean lines and looks like a telescope. I feel it is reminiscent of the seaside telescopes that you used to shove coins in to use. I can only describe it as looking like a Dobsonian pier.

Definitely an air of seaside telescope there, I hadn't thought of the dob thing, but that makes sense!

• Like 1

I couldn’t make much improvement on your original post, big aperture, long FL quality scopes on quality mounts in an enviable location. I know you can access all of this remotely (if you have deep pockets) but the trouble is I do like to be next to the rig when it is doing it’s stuff.

At some point in the future when I’m too old to keep changing my rig around, I might sell most of my existing set up and just get a Planewave. It’s a crazy notion, but no more so than owning a vintage car.

• Mandy D changed the title to What is Your Droolworthy Telescope?

"Droolworthy" is largely governed by one's interest.  A large SCT is probably the best telescope for outreach, my main interest.  A 16" SCT for this purpose would be my "drewlworthy" telescope if I hadn't already got two of them!           🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

As a planetary observer, a 250mm apo is hard to beat.

A cool $60000 even in the US.  By the time it has been shipped and duties paid in the UK it would be a £80k scope and you'd need a large obs and a tall pier to mount it in.   What a scope that would be.   Yuri makes four of them per year on average he told me.

I have the TEC140 which is also amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doublevodka said:

This - https://vaonis.com/hyperia/en/ although it will definitely split opinion on here, I like the design, the way it's fully integrated, and the fact it can be installed outside with no observatory.

Plus it just looks smart in this shot

make-home-2

Wow, I'd dismissed these Vaonis things as toys !

This one looks amazing, £45 k though Mmmmmmm

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Forget those planewave telescopes!

Look at that roll back observatory!

And I thought I was finished building observatories!

Yes! Yes! Yes! That was one of the things I was looking at. That and the awesome landscape it is set in. I'm almost tempted to make my observatory to that same design, only a touch smaller.

I still want the Planewave, but the observatory is droolworthy, too.

Edited by Mandy D
Dang typos!

1 minute ago, Mandy D said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! That was one of the things I was looking at. That and the awesome landscape it is set in. I' almost tempted to make my observatory to that same design, only a touch smaller.

I still want the Planewave, but the observatory is droolworthy, too.

3 things droolworthy in that picture - planewave equipment, rollback obsy and the lovely skies. We could get the first two here but definitely not the last 🙂

• Like 1

I agree with Mr Spock. A 250mm apochromat would be the ultimate observatory set-up. It would have to have a nice observatory building and dome to complement it though! My first choice would be a 250mm Takahashi on a Tak equatorial.

2023-09-1812_48_27.thumb.jpg.c5c68267e5033880fcc946677aa14caf.jpg

and just to give a sense of scale:

2023-09-1812_47_33.jpg.70426c3b5fdd168f1831dc83de8500a7.jpg

A close second would be an observatory set-up like this

2023-08-0909_38_20.thumb.jpg.fc3eb883ab967dac8611ce1cfc3927ed.jpg

I like Takahashi!!!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

...and just to give a sense of scale:

2023-09-1812_47_33.jpg.70426c3b5fdd168f1831dc83de8500a7.jpg

No need for a paid-membership at the local gym. Just have a workout and pumping iron at the observatory with those declination weights. 😉😜

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, AstroKriss said:

I'm pretty chuffed with my current setup pictured) but what im drooling over at the moment is between an C11 Edge HD SCT, and or a large 120mm Triplet Refractor...... (might need to sell a kidney to get either).

image.thumb.jpeg.df5304aee2859ecea4e7c98e55c1cd4e.jpeg

That's a nice setup.