Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I have decided to sleep out tonight in the bed chair and bag.
I cannot believe it is completely clear for the peak of this shower, my first time.

I have my EQ5 with DSLR and kit lense out to try and capture some of the action. The Mk1 eyeball for the thrills and a pair of binos for any lulls. Very happy and nice and warm.

MarvIMG_2082.thumb.jpeg.23316f023e5e2e071e2b9a988331d753.jpeg

• Like 14

That looks awesome, hope it's a cracking shower for you.

That was my plan too and the forecast was holding up and then suddenly yesterday all the forecasts changed and now wall to wall cloud until Wednesday next week.😭

• Like 1

Was out around midnight scanning through Cygnus with the 2.1x42 constellation binoculars and a bright Perseid fired through the field of view towards Deneb, fleetingly leaving a trail. Hope the clouds stay away for 12/13 night.

2 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

If you only see 1, it's the time out there that matters!

I have found that laying back in a comfortable chair and sleeping bag is a very relaxing thing to do!

Another way to clear your thoughts and reboot your mind!

I know exacting what you mean. To be looking up without straining my neck and just taking most of the night to soak it up.

I saw close together starling chain heading east like a line cars bumper to bumper. A really good coloured bolid at 22:41 but didn’t have the camera running that early.

I saw a grand total of about 20 which is not a lot at all and no big bright ones. Caught three on the camera but they were very small. I dream of a real 100zhr shower one day.

Marv

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I saw a grand total of about 20 which is not a lot at all and no big bright ones. Caught three on the camera but they were very small. I dream of a real 100zhr shower one day.

Marv

My dream, 

The leonids peak on my birthday. I might have 1 more chance if I live long enough. I'm 67 now.

I want to witness a storm!

• Like 2

I had a few looks in the early hours of today while working a night shift. Lots of cloud had moved in but there were big gaps here and there. Didn't see a thing.

My work site is currently a huge construction zone. Temporary floodlights abound, so limited dark adaptation also.

Hopefully there will be some big gaps in the clouds during tonight's shift. 

I've always been disappointed by the Perseid's. I'd say my success rate isn't much above the sporadic meteor rate!!

Bring on the Gemenid's, a proper meteor shower :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I had a few looks in the early hours of today while working a night shift. Lots of cloud had moved in but there were big gaps here and there. Didn't see a thing.

My work site is currently a huge construction zone. Temporary floodlights abound, so limited dark adaptation also.

Hopefully there will be some big gaps in the clouds during tonight's shift. 

I've always been disappointed by the Perseid's. I'd say my success rate isn't much above the sporadic meteor rate!!

Bring on the Gemenid's, a proper meteor shower :)

I think that meteor rates from the Perseids have declined in recent years, and its no longer the rich shower that it used to, I can remember there were good rates one year in the 1990's.

John 

• Like 1

The skies cleared last night and I sat out from around 11.00 till about 1.00 with my constellation binoculars. Perseus was rising in the NE over the houses but my view was restricted to the east through to south and up to the zenith. It was nice scanning around Cassiopeia, Cepheus and Cygnus with the little 2.1x42's and maybe because of this I could have missed a few Perseids. In the end I only witnessed two meteors in two hours, one a bright Perseid which passed through the fov of the binoculars whilst looking at Deneb, which was startling and the other a faint sporadic through Delphinus. The clouds of today are trying to clear right now so I'll set the alarm for 2.00am and hopefully get out again for another try.

Cloudy now but there was a clear patch for a good half hour or so earlier around midnight. A dozen Perseids in 30 minutes and a couple were really bright and long, stretching the whole diagonal across the Square of Pegasus and leaving trails.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

I have managed quite a few and a couple of very bright greenish ones tonight.

Was this between midnight and one am?

A lot of cloud around in the south and midlands now. 

The north east may have been better, the Aurora was photographed from east Yorkshire. 

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, scotty1 said:

Was this between midnight and one am?

A lot of cloud around in the south and midlands now. 

The north east may have been better, the Aurora was photographed from east Yorkshire. 

Yes midnight the first one and then around 1 or so the second. First was NE and second W.

Yes passing clouds too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1