Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camping

ScouseSpaceCadet

Summer has returned and one of the advantages of working part time is occasionally having three days off during the week, so off I've popped off for two nights in North Wales. The sky has cleared as forecast, the beers are flowing and I'm hoping for some pre peak Perseid meteor action. I've also brought the 10x50s too. Fingers crossed I can stop drinking the cold beers (The Coleman cooler box is ace), not fall asleep and enjoy the rural sky. 😀

A nice big pitch all to myself.

20230809_1904003.thumb.jpg.4ebb2365c8993595117739c2518e833a.jpg

Crystal clear! Too good to be true? 🙄

20230809_200225.thumb.jpg.162322d1c838c30447f80032c288459e.jpg

Hic... 🥳🧐🤩

20230809_1956142.thumb.jpg.0f7211ae72f33f0b78318efe50a0429c.jpg

Does anyone else forget something every time? I forgot my pillow... 🙄😴

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
Speelingg
  • Like 17

Just now, CCD-Freak said:

I kike the name of that BEvERage.  Doubt I can find it on this side of the pond.

I may have to settle for some of this.  8^P

alienamberale1.jpg

Hah that looks like good stuff. I've finished the Old Peculier now. Just eight cans of very cold and equally palatable Doombar to go.  I don't actually drink very often these days but when I do it has to be a good pint. I'm having a breather with a diet Tango Fruit Twist. 😀 ...and the sky is still clear... 😱

2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:Does anyone else forgot something every time? I forgot my pillow... 

Yes. Once I forgot the tripod. That was a 200 mile round trip but the forecast and skies were too good not to spend the time and petrol.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Superb, have a great time and some clear skies. 🙂

I've just tucked myself in... 😴. The clouds rolled over about 2200 but after 2300 I was treated to several clear patches. It's not too bad now but I need a kip.

1 definite meteor at zenith. 2 corner of your eye flashes.

Several familiar targets ticked off with the 10x50s and dozens more I need to look up!

Topped off with a nice waning crescent moon.

My second night the forecast might be a wet one so I'm glad I stayed out. Now I just need to ignore the animal noises and get to sleep! 🙄😄

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

We had five nights recently not five miles from there, at my partner's brother's house. I had a travel scope with me but it was five nights of cloud! Lovely area though. If you like walking I would recommend the Offa's Dyke Path, or part thereof, it's quite long! If not, that cold beer looks an excellent alternative!

Malcolm 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CCD-Freak said:

I can get New Castle Brown Ale over here and it is one of my favorites. 

2570-NEWCASTLE-BROWN-ALE.png

I do enjoy a Boddingtons from time to time myself 

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Commonly referred to as “Nukes” when I was a lad🙂.

Newcastle Brown Ale is known as "Dog" in the northeast which is taken from the phrase "Going to see a man about a dog", any excuse to go for a beer!

• Haha 3

I saw the picture and thought, nice and then the next thought was ah my back,

just takes the thought of sleeping in a tent on the ground and my whole body complains! 

Oh and Doombar in favour of Old Peculiar for me thanks, but to be honest prefer Cider these days.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I saw the picture and thought, nice and then the next thought was ah my back,

just takes the thought of sleeping in a tent on the ground and my whole body complains! 

Oh and Doombar in favour of Old Peculiar for me thanks, but to be honest prefer Cider these days.

My Trekology UL140 mattress is very comfortable. It's the old knees that are still sore a few days later due to the crawling around. At dedicated astro camps the 6ft tall, 4 person tent comes out along with a Vango Grande Camp Bed.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2023 at 21:12, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Summer has returned and one of the advantages of working part time is occasionally having three days off during the week, so off I've popped off for two nights in North Wales. The sky has cleared as forecast, the beers are flowing and I'm hoping for some pre peak Perseid meteor action. I've also brought the 10x50s too. Fingers crossed I can stop drinking the cold beers (The Coleman cooler box is ace), not fall asleep and enjoy the rural sky. 😀

A nice big pitch all to myself.

20230809_1904003.thumb.jpg.4ebb2365c8993595117739c2518e833a.jpg

Crystal clear! Too good to be true? 🙄

20230809_200225.thumb.jpg.162322d1c838c30447f80032c288459e.jpg

Hic... 🥳🧐🤩

20230809_1956142.thumb.jpg.0f7211ae72f33f0b78318efe50a0429c.jpg

Does anyone else forget something every time? I forgot my pillow... 🙄😴

aside from the Theakstone's, the impressive thing (genuine) is how you got the picnic table with bench seats into the back of the Skoda! ;) 

• Haha 2

If you want a really comfortable bed look at those in  fishing tackle shops or the fishing department of somewhere like Go-Outdoors.  They're way better than any camping bed, that anglers moved on from decades ago.

Those without a famous name are surprisingly inexpensive because of high volume.  Many also convert into chairs.  The only downsides are that they're a little heavier and bulkier.

• Like 2

It's great fun camping under good skies. I live in a light polluted valley which is often misty. I'm planning to go to dark sky locations this year and had a test run in my small motorhome. The full moon didn't help with the timelapse but everything worked out OK. I've now got a couple of scopes ready to go with a guided mount.

Pete

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Second Time Around said:

If you want a really comfortable bed look at those in  fishing tackle shops or the fishing department of somewhere like Go-Outdoors.  They're way better than any camping bed, that anglers moved on from decades ago.

Those without a famous name are surprisingly inexpensive because of high volume.  Many also convert into chairs.  The only downsides are that they're a little heavier and bulkier.

Without a doubt this. I just bought one, intending to use it for watching the meteor shower etc., not successful for that but it is comfier than my real bed and very warm with the, 5 season sleeping bag. 8 legs is better than six too. :smiley:

Carp fishing bed chair, Tracker RLX 8. Expensive but very, very good.

• Like 1