Focal length: 25mm
Eye relief: 18mm
Apparent field of view; 48°
Lens construction: 4 elements in 2 groups
Size: φ39×71mm
Mass: 140g

• Thanks 2

From the Starbase website:

The TPL series is a standard eyepiece that is the successor to the Abbe series and the LE series, which has been discontinued. We have repeatedly verified various types of eyepieces and completed Takahashi's original Pro-Cell type eyepiece, which is the best in this class. Using high refractive low dispersion glass, the chromatic aberration in the center is about half of the Abbe series, about 2/3 of the LE series, and an optical design that can deliver the image quality of the objective lens to the eye as it is. In addition, a multi-layer coating that transmits more than 99% of the entire surface of the lens in the entire visible light range, and a high-quality matte coating is applied to the hardware configuration that is resistant to stray light, so you can enjoy watching the starry sky with a high contrast view. It is a high-performance eyepiece made in Japan that can bring out the performance of high-performance objective lenses.

The extremely sharp image is connected from the center of the field of view to half, and the aberration and image surface curvature are suppressed so that the deformation of the surrounding image is also small. The star image in the periphery is designed to swell to a natural shape, so it is compatible with high-quality borough lenses and realizes a flat field to every corner of the field of view.

The TPL-12.5, TPL-18, and TPL-25 to be released this time inherit the style of the conventional Takahashi 31.7 eyepiece, and are made with ease of use in mind, such as the same focus design and the adoption of a foldable rubber look.

IMG_5179.jpeg

• Like 3

So, excellent on axis, terrible off-axis?  They're probably intended for driven mounts and planetary observations done on-axis.  Probably a poor choice for a large, f/4, undriven Dobsonian.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I would like to see a diagram of the lens arrangements, a lot of the specs seem comparable with ortho/plossl design but the price tag on these seems rather high in comparison. 

The proof in the pudding will be someone with a good eye getting behind them but there are a few already out there (tak starbase, masuyama, baader) who are producing glass seemingly similar to these.

That said, Takahashi are known for producing quality gear and this alone will probably ensure the market for these.

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Focal lengths aren't of much use. At those I'd need a wide field eyepiece. 48° is a step backwards.

I tend to agree, you have a great range of glass in that area, FL & design already, so these wouldn't offer anything new unless the glass is something amazing.

However, there are often reviews on here where there are claims of increased contract, more detail etc from a certain eyepiece from provider x. But I do wonder if sometimes (some of) these reviews are tainted with wishful results on the back of significant cash outlays to (in the back of peoples minds) justify money spent when the truth is there is little, if any improvement in results!

It doesn't really matter though in all honesty. If your purchase gives you pleasure, who are any of us to knock it. Enjoy it, buy new eyepiece and whatever else takes your fancy, you can't take it with you!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

And best of all…….no undercuts 🤩

~

Our community have much to thank Al Nagler for with all the great products his company brought to market over the years.

However, I curse him every time an eyepiece snags during extraction.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Nakedgun said:

~

Our community have much to thank Al Nagler for with all the great products his company brought to market over the years.

However, I curse him every time an eyepiece snags during extraction.

But David Nagler insisted I was wrong suggesting such a thing, flat refused to believe me that the undercuts were an issue….

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

But David Nagler insisted I was wrong suggesting such a thing, flat refused to believe me that the undercuts were an issue….

~

He may run the company, but, dad is still around.

• Like 1

The title of this thread is pure clickbait, the reality is somewhat underwhelming. Is there really a market for what seems like a plossl variant when there are plenty of good equivalents already available at much lower cost?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

The title of this thread is pure clickbait, the reality is somewhat underwhelming. Is there really a market for what seems like a plossl variant when there are plenty of good equivalents already available at much lower cost?

Clearly a yes, they would not expend time and resource otherwise, it say Tak on the side, it will sell.

• Like 1