NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

2 hours ago, johnturley said:

I've just ordered one from FLO for my shortly to be acquired Tak 100 DZ, looks like this particular bag  will be the best fit, wondered whether it might be a bit on the big size with it being designed for 900 mm fl scopes.

John 

There is a gap with the DC but if you kept a diagonal in place there would be little room for the scope to move. Should work well with the DZ.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, johnturley said:

I've just ordered one from FLO for my shortly to be acquired Tak 100 DZ, looks like this particular bag  will be the best fit, wondered whether it might be a bit on the big size with it being designed for 900 mm fl scopes.

John 

I found that the Oklop bag for the EQ6 tripod to be the perfect size for 100 - 102 refractors. Fits my Starfield very well.

• Like 3

So, my all- sky camera project is finally getting some traction.

The enclosure kit, c/w dome, heater and ASI camera cradle has arrived from Dew Control Ltd. Looks like good stuff.

The project is still held up by the rate at which Raspberry Pi 5's are being produced, because I'm waiting for one of those to free up my Pi 4 for this project.

Anyway, this can sit here like test card, probably until early next year as a place holder for future deliveries..

20231109_143242.jpg.d478e7f9469185520ced5cdf3852c66f.jpg

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Paul M said:

The enclosure kit, c/w dome, heater and ASI camera cradle has arrived from Dew Control Ltd. Looks like good stuff.

The project is still held up by the rate at which Raspberry Pi 5's are being produced, because I'm waiting for one of those to free up my Pi 4 for this project.

Anyway, this can sit here like test card, probably until early next year as a place holder for future deliveries..

how are you going to keep the plastic dome clean?

33 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I'm looking at all the resistors on that heater PCB and wondering why they didn't just use copper track instead of a bunch of expensive resistors. It's only 2.8 W and a PCB track of the correct width and length for the desired supply voltage could easily be accommodated.

11 minutes ago, uhb1966 said:

how are you going to keep the plastic dome clean?

I'll keep it in the box! 😁

But seriously, I'm hoping for it to be low maintenance as it will, hopefully, be sited 70 miles away from home in Rural Cumbria. Providing that dew isn't a problem, the dome will reach an equilibrium of everyday grime and the odd bird poop. Copious rain will do the cleaning and I guess the dome will eventually tarnish and weather to the point of needing a replacement.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

I'm looking at all the resistors on that heater PCB and wondering why they didn't just use copper track instead of a bunch of expensive resistors. It's only 2.8 W and a PCB track of the correct width and length for the desired supply voltage could easily be accommodated.

Good point. I guess it makes the operating current more repeatable on a production run. Etching such a fine copper track would be more problematic?

Anyway, was planning on using PoE for this project and have ordered Poe injector and splitter. But the splitter is 5v out for the Pi supply, and this heater is 12v. So more thinking needed. Maybe it'd be adequate on 5v because the Pi makes plenty of it's own heat.

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

Good point. I guess it makes the operating current more repeatable on a production run. Etching such a fine copper track would be more problematic?

Anyway, was planning on using PoE for this project and have ordered Poe injector and splitter. But the splitter is 5v out for the Pi supply, and this heater is 12v. So more thinking needed. Maybe it'd be adequate on 5v because the Pi makes plenty of it's own heat.

Track width on production PCBs is carefully controlled, well within 10%. It wouldn't need to be that fine, if you make it a long convoluted run. I've seen it done many times, same with inductors.

At 5 V, you will only be getting 500 mW of heating, but like you say, the Pi is going to provide a lot more heat that will do the job.

• Like 2

A few bits arrived this morning:

SCT > T2 adaptor for my Skymax 102, a couple of eyecups (ostensibly for microscopes) which I'm hoping might fit on the 10mm BCO and provide a slightly better experience in comfort and shielding from stray light.

20231110_115026.thumb.jpg.0d8fc875ae58948084c5e53074bfb032.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, badhex said:

a couple of eyecups (ostensibly for microscopes) which I'm hoping might fit on the 10mm BCO and provide a slightly better experience in comfort and shielding from stray light

Great idea - but do you think the BCO has enough eye relief to take it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bumper day for me! A couple of sales of bits I don't need (thanks @Mr Spock and @adyj1) plus refund for a couple of truly dreadful rail journeys (thanks EMR) have allowed me the purchase of a lovely new StellaLyra 30mm UFF to add to my burgeoning low power EP collection (24mm, 30mm, 35mm, 40mm, 41mm) 😂

20231110_124540.thumb.jpg.23c4db0083cd0ae6f79becf791dd872b.jpg

20231110_151640.thumb.jpg.4f422c3e61cca6e3eef66433803215ee.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, badhex said:

Bumper day for me! A couple of sales of bits I don't need (thanks @Mr Spock and @adyj1) plus refund for a couple of truly dreadful rail journeys (thanks EMR) have allowed me the purchase of a lovely new StellaLyra 30mm UFF to add to my burgeoning low power EP collection (24mm, 30mm, 35mm, 40mm, 41mm) 😂

20231110_124540.thumb.jpg.23c4db0083cd0ae6f79becf791dd872b.jpg

20231110_151640.thumb.jpg.4f422c3e61cca6e3eef66433803215ee.jpg

Ooooh, what is it about a lovely bit of coated green glass?

• Haha 1