Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Practical Astronomy Show. Kettering. March 11th 2023

When I was last there, the traders set up on Friday. So provided main roads are passable during the day Friday, the show will presumably go on.
As for visitors, wait until a bit nearer the time before deciding.
The UK weather has been known to change for better or worse at short notice.

In winter I always have (bad for teeth) snacks, water, warm clothes, waterproof coat, boots etc in the car.
When significant snow and ice are forecast I supplement the winter kit with sand and shovel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Snow is forecast for where I am :sad2:

Where are you?  I'm in West Yorkshire and the snow here is due to finish Friday afternoon, snow warnings every day from 7th to 10th none on 11th.

Anyway, it will be what it will be.  I expect one of the organisers will put a post on SGL if it's cancelled.

If you travel on main roads it could be fine.  Not so good for me though.  The first eight miles is over high moorland along a narrow road where you can't easily see the edges of the road if there's any snow. Still hopeful of making it though 😊.

47 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Where are you? 

I'm up in the hills near Sheffield. Forecast for Saturday is snow at ground level, so, up here will be bad. It keeps changing though. If the main roads are clear I'll be able to get out.

Forecast for Kettering is 5° and rain, so the show itself should be fine.

• Like 1

This Amber weather warning has just been issued, I'm in the Amber bit 😱.  At over 850 feet altitude I think it might be optimistic to think it will all have cleared away by about 5.30 Sat morning when I need to set out.

Screenshot_20230308_155255_PhotoEditor.thumb.jpg.8e618660d14e2553ba0d78ec00328545.jpg

Screenshot_20230308_160337_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.d49c1f33080b3ed4af8879bab2e22117.jpg

Edited by paulastro

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

This Amber weather warning has just been issued, I'm in the Amber bit 😱.  At over 850 feet altitude I think it might be optimistic to think it will all have cleared away by about 5.30 Sat morning when I need to set out.

Screenshot_20230308_155255_PhotoEditor.thumb.jpg.8e618660d14e2553ba0d78ec00328545.jpg

Screenshot_20230308_160337_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.d49c1f33080b3ed4af8879bab2e22117.jpg

Yellow snow is always bad, but Amber snow is worse!  Let's hope it's white and not so deep!!

• Like 2

This is what it was like around 8am here looking out of the kitchen window - that's a foot of snow on top of the bird bath. 

20230310_075646.thumb.jpg.2f373fa9e107e17f32eb82bde307559c.jpg

It's started to melt, but this afternoon it starts to  get colder again. When I have to set off around 5.30am tomorrow, it's forecast to be -7C. It depends on how much snow remains as to if I'll make it.

• Like 4

I’m in two minds as to whether to go. It’s not the nicest of journeys from SW of Oxford on a Saturday, let alone in dodgy weather.  My thinking though is that since IAS sounds a tad iffy  for later in the year, this might be the only show for 2023. 

I last attended in 2019. I could not get there for 2022. There were offers from some. But not all.
I remember a 'today only' £100 off a Daystar scope that I didn't want!
But if I had been in the market for one, it definitely covered the fuel bill.

To me the important part is to have a proper look and hold things. Just how big and heavy is an EQ6? It looks the same size as EQ3 on the web page!
Have a proper two way conversation with sellers about their products. See new ideas. Talk to fellow stargazers. Put faces to names.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I get time I’ll be popping in to have a look around. Be nice to meet some people with the same interests as me.  

For those who are travelling far, there is no snow around Kettering area now so the roads should be clear at this end. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Are there usually good offers/discounts for buyers of new equipment at this show?

I would not be going for talks but wondered if any savings on prices would be enough to cover the petrol costs.

There will be reductions on some items from soms vendors..  Received this in an email this morning.

Screenshot_20230310_211434_Email.thumb.jpg.37409bc5aea5ffd235a2497617fe6aaa.jpg

Sadly I wont make it, need a new thermostat I have ordered it thought it would be here today so I could of fitted it but I have been let down.

If it comes tomorrow going take me at least an hour fi it and then a 2.5 hr drive I wont make it.😭

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Sadly I wont make it, need a new thermostat I have ordered it thought it would be here today so I could of fitted it but I have been let down.

If it comes tomorrow going take me at least an hour fi it and then a 2.5 hr drive I wont make it.😭

That's a shame Paul.  We will have to have a meet up at the next one.

• Like 1