Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Practical Astronomy Show. Kettering. March 11th 2023

Here's a short video taken in the afternoon when things were quieter. There were definitely more people there this year than last, so hopefully it was a success for the exhibitors. 

Some of our small huddle can be seen at the end by the bar, nattering away😊. Sorry for the poor quality, my phone is dying and due for change very soon🥴🤦..

It was just a shame that the freak March storm a day or two before the event prevented people from travelling.

Here's to next year and proper spring-like weather!

Dave

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Here's a short video taken in the afternoon when things were quieter. There were definitely more people there this year than last, so hopefully it was a success for the exhibitors. 

Some of our small huddle can be seen at the end by the bar, nattering away😊. Sorry for the poor quality, my phone is dying and due for change very soon🥴🤦..

It was just a shame that the freak March storm a day or two before the event prevented people from travelling.

Here's to next year and proper spring-like weather!

Dave

Looks like your phone lens is steamed up Dave. Anticipation over all those expected Taks?

Sorry hear none present, tho.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I think your wife is very perceptive. I looked around me at the PAS today and it struck me that there is a sort of ‘look’ to amateur astronomers. Let’s be frank. The  mean (as in average) is middle-aged, grey haired

Grey haired? A luxury for some….

😊

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

As I'm a member of The Webb Society, which may come as a surprise to other members of the Webb Society, I thought it only right to buy a beanie hat.

Last of the big spenders!

2023-03-1118_56_24.thumb.jpg.02b1fed607501ddd66cc789616412860.jpg

And that was all you bought Mike, really?  I wish I could have been there to help you spend more money 🙂.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, paulastro said:

I don't think we should 'speak' to any members of SGL who attend the show and don't post at least one image!

OK Paul here we go.
Apologies for the poor photo. A dual mount bar assembly. A freebie torch, freebie drinks coaster and some boooks.
Not shown are long chats with Astrotruk, Rowan, and more about my potential future purchases.
Interesting talks as well.
I got two copies of 'The Story Of The Heavens' by Robert S. Ball. The 1890 hardback version  (see the Saturn drawing) and the modern paperback.
Aonther of his books. The Earths Beginning, from 1903.
Picked up the new 'Orion' book at a good price. Signed by the Hunter, and one the contributors.

I declined the 6Kg rock to add to the garden rockery. At bit expensive compared to the stuff at local garden centre.
Fortunately MSG Meteorites were not charging for photos.

IMG_8083.JPG

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-11 at 12.59.52.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

OK Paul here we go.
Apologies for the poor photo. A dual mount bar assembly. A freebie torch, freebie drinks coaster and some boooks.
Not shown are long chats with Astrotruk, Rowan, and more about my potential future purchases.
I got two copies of 'The Story Of The Heavens' by Robert S. Ball. The 1890 hardback version  (see the Saturn drawing) and the modern paperback.
Picked up the new 'Orion' book at a good price. Signed by the Hunter, and one the contributors.

I declined the 6Kg rock to add to the garden rockery. At bit expensive compared to the stuff at local garden centre.

IMG_8083.JPG

Many thanks, you're back on my Christmas card list.

Nice book finds.  I'm glad you mentioned the meteorite.  When I first glanced at your pic, I thought it was someone's brain!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Indeed hair is a luxury indeed, that video was catching my bald patch rather well, thanks Dave!

The best of it is, Alan, that bald patch wasn't there you til you started debating with yourself whether to splash out on that Delos!🤦😂

Edited by F15Rules
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

The best of it is, Alan, that bald patch wasn't there you til you started debating with yourself whether to splash out on that Delos!🤦😂

If only that were really true Dave, sadly that divot has been missing for about 17 years, and the front receeding fringe was before that...
Clearly I inherited my Fathers folicle geenes.
Soon the patch and the fringe will meet.

And the Delos debate was far easier to resolve than the 4" scope one that continues.

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 1

Just now, Alan White said:

If only that were really true Dave, sadly that divot has been missing for about 17 years, and the front receeding fringe was before that...
Clearly I inherited my Fathers folicle geenes.
Soon the patch and the fringe will meet.

And the Delos debate was far easier to resolve than the 4" scope one that continues.

Hang on a minute, that might explain why @mikeDnight has that ?hairline?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Welcome to the Old Astigmatics Club!

A friendly group of visual fanatics who got together at PAS Kettering for a good old chinwag, in which we discovered that most of us are astigmatic!🤦😂

So ignore anything we say in future about eyepieces not being "sharp to the edge"!🥴😋

Two (yes Two!) Maxbright IIs and a Delos may or may not have been purchased today...😋🤔

IMG_20230311_144703460.thumb.jpg.6cffb1390a0e82572adcbbf64853362b.jpg

A good bunch of lads having a good time at a great and FREE Astro show.. here's to next year👍👍

IMG_20230311_135006172.thumb.jpg.e99f9d53b953cf3a766df22f3a70d406.jpg

From Left to right..

Dave (F15Rules), Mike (MikeDNight), Keith, Alan (Alan White), John (Telescope40), and Steve (Saganite)..

This is an awesome picture! Great to put faces to some of folks I've been speaking to through SGL for years, you all look like you're having way too much fun.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, markse68 said:

Spotted this photo from the show on fb- anyone know what mount it is? 

DAA275AC-E36C-413D-801C-F27750CDA489.jpeg

Though it's difficult to tell, I bet this mount is a behemoth meant to carry much more weight than it is carrying in this image.

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

It's a TRIBBLE!

Kirk_surrounded_by_Tribbles.jpg

If its good enough for the great William Shatner, its good enough for me. Only in my case it was my friends wife who shoved a feather duster down the back of my shirt. Could have been worse I suppose!

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

The best way to hide a bald patch is to shave the rest off.    😀

I used to like going to the barber's, until one Saturday morning when Harry the barber showed me the back of my head through a mirror. I was mortified at the sight of a balding patch. I asked if I could have a discount, but Harry said  he charged for the search. (I was only 25) :crybaby2:  I later learned that those who lose their hair from the front are good thinkers, while those losing it from the back are good lovers. And that those who lose both front and back think they are good lovers. Guess which I was! :rolleyes2:

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

OK Paul here we go.

IMG_8083.JPG

Whoa! cow Patties go for a hefty price across the pond! I have to start collecting them at local farms!

• Haha 2