Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Practical Astronomy Show. Kettering. March 11th 2023

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

Does anyone know if there is a list of traders attending the show anywhere?  I don't use Facebook, and the link on the PAS 2023 website has the list for 2022!  

If you click on the link in the first post, doesn't it show the vendors for the 2023 show?

8 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

If you click on the link in the first post, doesn't it show the vendors for the 2023 show?

No.  If you read on the link the date on it is for 2022, its 2023 now Mike.  The list is for last year's show.  Press on the three horizontal lines on the top right of the page and look at the link 'Who's at the Show?'. As I said in a previous post I'm not on Facebook which is why I'm asking!

Edited by paulastro
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

No.  If you read on the link the date on it is for 2022, its 2023 now Mike.  The list is for last year's show.  Press on the three horizontal lines on the top right of the page and look at the link 'Who's at the Show?'. As I said in a previous post I'm not on Facebook which is why I'm asking!

Oh well. May be noone will be there. That should save me a bob or two! 

• Haha 2

not really. the margins are small in the astronomy business. Unfortunately most people use social media now so that is where the people focus their efforts on advertising so those that choose not to go there are going to be disadvantaged. This is the way of the world now.

36 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Not providing information in advance seems to be a recurrent feature of astro shows.
The organisers know all they have to say is 'astro show at place and date' and the masses will mass🤣

Last year PAS had the list of attendees on the link I pointed to in my previous post - unfortunately it hasn't been updated for this year!  It was also advertised in one of the mags - I think it was S@N.

45 minutes ago, icpn said:

not really. the margins are small in the astronomy business. Unfortunately most people use social media now so that is where the people focus their efforts on advertising so those that choose not to go there are going to be disadvantaged. This is the way of the world now.

Though every vendor doesn't have across the board discounts.  Some of them may have discounts on a few items - at least a few did last year.   Some vendors had the odd items for sale at different prices.

Also, sometimes a vendor has items for sale that they haven't got available on line.  I bought an eyepiece last year that I was after,  which no one I had contacted said they had in stock.  At the show, one of the vendors I had contacted had two for sale on their display - very soon there was only one!  😊

PS If you are after a particular item and you can't see it, it pays to ask.  All the stock they have brought is not necessarily on display.

Edited by paulastro
PS
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Elp said:

Do you get many deals at such an event?

The first one I attended at Kettering there was little in the way of deals. You could however play Jenga with the Takahashi display stack on the RotherValley Optics stall. That was fun! I suppose the good thing about it is that you get some hands on with some really nice kit before you decide not to buy.

The best bit for me was meeting garryblueboy and JeremyS. That made it worth the 1000 mile drive!! :biggrin::unsure:

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@mikeDnight you live closer to Kettering than I thought 😉

I like the Jenga thoughts, similar ones crossed my head at the IAS and the same companies stand.....
I didnt though, I resisted, I heard my Mums voice saying 'Behave Boy'.

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Astro_Nic said:

This sounds like a great trip out.....worth going?  Although I don't really know anyone on here so I'll be the one on their own pretending I know what I'm doing!

Just put a little name badge on and ....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Astro_Nic said:

This sounds like a great trip out.....worth going?  Although I don't really know anyone on here so I'll be the one on their own pretending I know what I'm doing!

An advantage of being incognito is that you can ask daft questions and get away with it🤣

Seriously - it is definitely worth a visit. Not far for you to travel and a chance to see and hold all sorts of stuff.
Maybe even attend one of the lectures.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

The best bit for me was meeting garryblueboy and JeremyS. That made it worth the 1000 mile drive!! :biggrin::unsure:

Why did you drive there via Paris, to meet JeremyS,  Mike? Couldn't you get a handle on the correct route???🤪😂😂

Dave

• Haha 3

Well people bad luck has struck again car is getting hot just blowing hot air with the temperature needle not moving.

I think its the thermostat but after paying £160 for a pair of tyres and  a cable that informs me my brakes are getting low Vauxhall only £75 I'm skint. I get paid on the 18th so I am going have to wait until then any long journeys are off in case its the head gasket I hope not means throwing another £1000 at a 18yr old car.

Edited by wookie1965
  • Sad 7

14 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

We now have heavy snow forecast for early hours Saturday. If that happens then this will be a no-go 😭

Do you mean that you won't be able to go?  Or that the event will be cancelled?