Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TAK has landed. Rather lost for words !!!

4 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello all.  Many thanks for the comments. Itching for a 2nd light now but forecast only seems to show tomorrow night might well be a go ??!!   A few events happening around Jupiter but thinking I might have to focus up on Saturn first and expecting a wow moment.  Sure Jupe won't have a frown if it's next in the queue. 

Clear skies everyone.    John 🤩  

Very nice purchase John. And it looks very well cared for considering its age. A true heirloom scope.

Yes, tomorrow night try it on Jupiter. Theres a double transit event : Europa and Ganymede. Around 21:30hrs i think.

I'm impressed the AZ100 can handle it with no counterweight.

Also impressed that you can binoview with it with the HW. Not many scopes have the back focus to do that. I take it you are using a GPC ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Although the FS128 is quite a large scope, it's relatively light at just 7.5kg (16.5 pounds), and c 9kg with finder, 2" diagonal etc, so it's much easier to handle (sorry Jeremy) than you might think.

Mine is on a Tak EM2 equatorial mount ( think Vixen GPDX size) with a sturdy solid wood tripod, and properly balanced is a delight to use, and settles within 1-2 seconds. The AZ100 will therefore handle it with ease👍.

Dave

IMG_20221022_154326815_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

I'm not surprised.  I sometimes observe with a 14 pound Newtonian on one side of my DSV-2B with nothing on the other side, and it is just as smooth and stable as it is with an 8 pound scope.  Both it and the Rowan mount are made by master craftsmen from top quality materials.  I would suspect the AZ100 could easily handle twice that load.  It's more similar to the DSV-3 than mine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Very nice purchase John. And it looks very well cared for considering its age. A true heirloom scope.

Yes, tomorrow night try it on Jupiter. Theres a double transit event : Europa and Ganymede. Around 21:30hrs i think.

Also impressed that you can binoview with it with the HW. Not many scopes have the back focus to do that. I take it you are using a GPC ?

Hello.  Yes. The Rowan doesn't seem to notice it's there. Spoke to the Rowan team at IAS a couple of weeks ago and they said a C/W isn't required in alot of cases.  More emphasis on the "front to back" balance of the OTA. It does help with "settle" time when focusing. 

1.6 GPC being used with the Altair HW 

John 

• Like 3

On 25/10/2022 at 12:44, Telescope40 said:

Afternoon all.  Yes. I'm a Takahashi owner.  FS 128.  Still coming to terms with this.  A rather big shout out needs to go firstly to Dave @F15Rules as he started the saga last Friday by posting re an advert from the old Flea of the Bay. Had no intentions of going along this route at all as quite " scope happy" till I saw this but as the scope was a scant 25 miles from me, the cogs started to whirr.  If it had been a long trip I would not have even blinked. 

Got in touch with Dave via a DM, as he is a very happy owner of the same scope, and after a few messages and a nice chat on Saturday evening, with some excellent advice, I went to look on Sunday. 

The scope had a couple of points of note but in the flesh they were rather unfounded. Cosmetically was sound. Its a 23 yr old scope. I gave it a little lattitude.  On a field test from the sellers house the optics looked as sharp as sharp. Please note, I count my expertise as rather limited. There is a minor dew spot on the lens but ideas are in place to correct this in due course, if needed. Not convinced it will. Was being sold on behalf of a local astronomer's widow who's husband had passed recently. 

In with the purchase I managed to bag the original Tak 7x50 finderscope and bracket plus a brand new Baader 72 mm visual back.   Some negotiating.  Job done.  Drove home rather shellshocked. 

Once home I gave the OTA a nice buff over and it came up nicely.  Fitted the finderscope. Found an illuminator in my astro  "spares" box that fits the finder.   A Voila !!

First light, daytime, rather novel, was an hour ago with the solar eclipse. Fitted to my Rowan AZ100, very solid I might add and an Altair Herschel wedge in use, I found myself jugging EP's every couple of minutes. Happy to confirm my Maxbright BV's work with the wedge. A nice bonus. Found that a "little bit less was more" re magnification. Just EPIC !! 

Serial number of the scope is 99025 with Dave @F15Rules noting is only a few away from his example - 99008.  Curious to know how many other owners of this particular TAK are with SGL guys / gals. 

Thx for reading. Here are some photos and I make no excuse for posting. 

Happy astronomer - John  

8C122CCF-B937-4AA4-9068-2F27A959AA0F.thumb.jpeg.1eb94269a9fb0c5e7937219e2351e46b.jpeg20B45673-1AE6-4A3B-87B0-7E59C8605041.thumb.jpeg.9a5454b300ea73c841b8f4656b8da879.jpeg97A9B363-BA90-45DC-86A7-D0B823287A27.thumb.jpeg.ce35a6cd6abbc5896496d2d53ed2725c.jpeg07ED591B-653B-4F62-BF44-41DB65872262.thumb.jpeg.25129fb54840e9ca64b45254b8f1a0e9.jpeg

A7B8E7CC-0D02-44E0-9510-D12BFEE6206F.jpeg

D59E0CDC-0065-4BEC-9E00-D0B8FB38778C.jpeg

C7A86464-94EB-41A7-9FE7-0920F25B6B8F.jpeg

75CAD244-A775-4E25-81B5-E63EB44F62AA.jpeg

EB9EEC2A-18EA-4F4E-925E-1448903D8CE8.jpeg

16D52EF7-D03B-41BA-8819-43977474C84B.jpeg

7D49C8F0-CC6C-43F9-8C67-8CC8E25B0D58.jpeg

53B499BC-CDD9-4C44-B990-66B980014554.jpeg

94E56497-0CB8-447D-9AB3-9067916EB998.jpeg

That is a lovely set up I was looking at the Tak on Ebay I looked at the dew spot and it didn't look that bad I thought to myself should be easily cleaned up. But I then saw a !0" Celestron starsense as I have 3 Refractors I thought I would go for that.

Cracking scope have to tell us what first light is like under dark skies.

Just a quick question the mount how accurate is it at finding objects and can you input SAO numbers thanks.

Paul

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

That is a lovely set up I was looking at the Tak on Ebay I looked at the dew spot and it didn't look that bad I thought to myself should be easily cleaned up. But I then saw a !0" Celestron starsense as I have 3 Refractors I thought I would go for that.

Just a quick question the mount how accurate is it at finding objects and can you input SAO numbers thanks.

Paul

Hello Paul.  Thanks for your post.  The dew spot doesn't seem to be an issue.  I've had first light, daytime, for the solar eclipse.  The view was excellent giving some superb views of the Moon's edge and AR's that were well placed on the day.  A nightime first light is in the lap of the gods as usual.  Ahem. 

I may well still have the scope looked at by Mr ES Reid next year and have the scope " serviced" so to speak. 

Hope the Starsense purchase ??  works out for you.  The Rowan is as accurate as it gets I would say if your alignment procedure is sound.  Very easy to get on with. Unsure if it takes SAO numbers as never gone down that route. 

Regards    John 

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/10/2022 at 09:00, wookie1965 said:

Paul

Hi Paul,

im not sure I’m giving you the right answer to the right question but nexus (shipped with the Rowan mount optionally) has The SAO catalogue on board.

cheers

• Like 1

Time for an update guys.  First light has just taken place. Had a chance earlier in the week as was clear but a tad on the windy side -  I stayed put. 

Clear tonight with minimal wind.  Gas giants as targets.  Set up. Had already aligned the Tak focuser and all was well. Right in the crosshairs. 😀

Saturn. Cyclops to start.  Sharp sharp sharp. Slowly increased mag from my 19 Pan x54, up thru the gears and ended up with my ES 8.8 in a Tal 2 barlow at x236.  Stunned how well the image was especially in the real steady moments.  Brightness I hadn't come across either.  Very happy with the focuser. Seems to snap into focus very nicely.  Prob ably best mag was with ES 11mm with the barlow - 188x

Switched to my Baader Maxbright II binoviewers.  I've have 3 sets of EP's.   25 /15 / 11 mm.   The views went up another notch or 3.  Must have been viewing somewhere in the mid 200X's by the time I'd done. I've never exactly calculated for sure.   The Maxbrights are great. The scope will let me binoview - I've just nicely got enough in focus. Use x 1.6 corrector.  The individual eyepiece adjusters just help to get that critical focus.  Saturn was giving up a couple of cloud bands and Cassini was clear.  

OK.  Jupiter time.  Same process. Cyclops first then get the BV's fired up.  Detail I don't think I've ever seen.  Even thought I could make out the sizes of the moons - Ganymede maybe just giving me a hint of an orb.  Need to try again on that one.  GRS not far from mid transit. 

Helping with the view with my Rowan was that Jupe was only slowly tracking across my field of view - getting a good look for a nice 40-50 seconds at a time.  

Some light cloud has started to roll in and work in the morning so in we come. 

Anyway suffice to say the scope is all I wished on this first light.  Many more to come.  May invest in a slightly more powerful glass path corrector.  Gives me even more options. 

Thanks for reading if you have.    John

• Like 5