Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar eclipse this Tuesday

markse68

I invited a couple of neighbours over and in the event it was mostly cloudy, through which we were able to get naked-eye glimpses, but the only time I was able to use my Perlenbacher-cardboard Solar Film mask was by holding it in front of binoculars for a few seconds when a cloud-gap appeared, nowhere enough time to get the scope aligned to the Sun. Still, it was better than nothing and the neighbours were very grateful to have been shown it else they'd have only read about it online.

Magnus

• Like 2

Very surprised to see a clear blue sky this morning, as the forecast had been for cloud all day.

Quickly set up the small refractor to track, and did some visual observing and then some imaging.

We'd ordered a set of eclipse glasses from Neill at GoStargazing, so went over to our local supermarket carpark and caught people as they were going in and out.

About 30 people in total, most of whom had no idea it was happening, and were mostly very delighted.

Might even have a new person for our astronomy society as a result. 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 6

It's not much but these are mine. Dang solar observing shows up all the dirt on the eyepieces. ETX 105, Meade 32 mm Plossl, iPhone SE 2022 handheld.

Made a filter for my Meade ETX 105 from my remaining Baader solar film and make the classic mistake with the stuff but had to use it anyway, and had an offcut left to make an "eclipse goggle" with. Had a lot of trouble finding the Sun with the scope with it being visible for just fleeting moments sometimes, until I dug out an old inclinometer to set the altitude - it was imprecise but still helped me find it. Conditions were better for the second half of the eclipse and I was able to watch through last contact. Shoulda used my Heritage 76 instead, much easier to find things with that.

Visually the edge of the Moon was clearly irregular, and on the Sun itself two large sunspots and four smaller ones at 46x, and upping the power to 74x revealed a few more tiny ones mostly companions to the larger. I had to set up in the rear so no chance to show it to neighbours, and my family saw it naked eye but I couldn't really keep them outside while I faffed around with the scope.

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

Edited by allworlds
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Mandy D said:

EW14 welding filter?

No, it was with a Herschel Wedge using a Baader Continuum filter which is a narrowband 540nm filter which turns the sun green, but also enhances faculae and granulation.