Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

so, Artemis test flight AKA Should Launch Someday, 16-Nov-2022

DaveL59

54 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

there was a sense of adventure, risk, courage, intelligence, ingenuity, purpose and true team work..

Indeed, it's a toss up between Apollo 11 and Apollo 13 for which was the greatest moment in manned spaceflight in my mind.

There was certainly much milk spilt on the way to the first man on the Moon but on the day it went rather smoothly. I mean, all those second's worth of fuel remaing on the descent. Vulgar excess!

I've probably watched every second of footage there is about Apllo 13's eventful abort. It had all your above list items in abundance. Those guys! What a story! 

And I could watch Gene Krantz administer his white waistcoted duties forever :)

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Brings a tear to my eye... a tear of shame... in 1969 they put a man on the moon... 69!!!... there was a sense of adventure, risk, courage, intelligence, ingenuity, purpose and true team work... today.. they can't even get the thing of the launch pad... I guess thats what greed, red tape and a broken education system delivers.

What a sad age we live in... Oh but they'll colonise Mars and have Moon bases by 2027... come on....  

I recall further up the thread, Apollo 1 mentioned... Cutting costs, shoddy work and haste saw three guys posessing, "a sense of adventure, risk, courage, intelligence, ingenuity, purpose and true team work" all die horribly. Apollo 13 was a massive save, but the situation could have been avoided. Let us not forget the Shuttle disasters. I'd rather NASA take their time and get it right.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Indeed, it's a toss up between Apollo 11 and Apollo 13 for which was the greatest moment in manned spaceflight in my mind.

There was certainly much milk spilt on the way to the first man on the Moon but on the day it went rather smoothly. I mean, all those second's worth of fuel remaing on the descent. Vulgar excess!

I've probably watched every second of footage there is about Apllo 13's eventful abort. It had all your above list items in abundance. Those guys! What a story! 

And I could watch Gene Krantz administer his white waistcoted duties forever :)

Yeah, thats one time in history that wont be repeated for a LONG time... if ever again.

• Like 2

While NASA gathers its ducks and gets them in a row... Here is how it was done back in the day. 3 men heading into human history. People may well return to the Moon, not sure why, other than to road test the technology, but they'll never beat this:

• Like 3

It's a massive complex oxidizing bomba so I for one are pleased to see they are making sure they don't press launch until the system checks are good

But Boeing, oh Boeing. Once the best, then the takeover of McD, then the 5th column of beancounters reverse assimilation, table thumping PMs and bottom line before Engineering.

I used to choose flights that used 777s. Now I avoid flights using the 737 Max 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 900SL said:

It's a massive complex oxidizing bomba so I for one are pleased to see they are making sure they don't press launch until the system checks are good

But Boeing, oh Boeing. Once the best, then the takeover of McD, then the 5th column of beancounters reverse assimilation, table thumping PMs and bottom line before Engineering.

I'm wondering when some "genius" will decide that we need to launch green... Batteries to take off... then switch to wind power at stage 2, finally utilise solar power for the orbit... artemis 2?   

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I'm wondering when some "genius" will decide that we need to launch green... Batteries to take off... then switch to wind power at stage 2, finally utilise solar power for the orbit... artemis 2?   

They already do that....There are batteries in the launch vehicle to power it and then they go to solar panels once they are up.   No wind power though 8^P

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Are they going to start building more of these reusable/throw away shuttle engines? 

I think they only have enough old shuttle engines to last till Artemis 3. So they may decide on building more or something different. 

Lee 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

I think they only have enough old shuttle engines to last till Artemis 3. So they may decide on building more or something different.

I know where they could get some Raptor engines, and the don't have dodgy sensors.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Lee 

that'd complicate things if they change tech surely as they'd have to re-certify the launch vehicle all over again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

that'd complicate things if they change tech surely as they'd have to re-certify the launch vehicle all over again.

Yep I agree, I just think and heard that's what they have on the spare parts shelf shuttle engine wise, they may probably build more, but who knows and when it'll be atm. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Laurieast said:

Are they going to start building more of these reusable/throw away shuttle engines? 

Throw aways yes... already there... "re" usable.. not so much... so far looks to be a not even once usage deal....

Still saying they want to repair it on the pad. No way to test it in the VAB.

Other issues too though. They have a certification that is only good for 25 days at a time then must have recertification. 

If I'm understanding correctly, it has to do with flight termination. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Still saying they want to repair it on the pad. No way to test it in the VAB.

Other issues too though. They have a certification that is only good for 25 days at a time then must have recertification. 

If I'm understanding correctly, it has to do with flight termination. 

that's how I read it too. They may be able to get an extension but how long it can stay on the pad becomes an issue in terms of safety. Also the inadvertent over-pressure may have caused other issues which would need a roll back to check over. Either way is looking more like October now I guess.

Last status reported 09-Sept is they've replaced the seals and umbilicals and reassembling the umbilical plates at the pad, inspection over the weekend and a tanking exercise perhaps from 17-Sept to test the repairs. Once they've analysed the data they'll look at next launch attempt windows.

In other news, Capstone spacecraft has gone into safe mode and they're working to resolve

CAPSTONE – Artemis (nasa.gov)

On 06/09/2022 at 11:22, Mr Spock said:

I hear NASA has just placed an order for a few cans of this:

Miracle-Seal-Thumb-Updated.png.92285e865b80dbd6c4765128acfcc0c5.png

Being that Artemis is in the US, and having been bombarded by the following TV commercials a few years back, I'd recommend Flex Seal or Flex Tape for the job: 😁

Edited by Louis D
  • Haha 1

My dad gave me some of this spray on sealer for leaks some time ago, suckered in I think by a TV or home shopping catalogue. When I moved in here there was a valve on the heating that was dripping so he handed me this can with "this'll sort it". Didn't work at all,  just as I'd expected even with several tries using up half the can. Stuff like that you really do have to swap the failing part out or replace the seals if its a serviceable item which this wasn't. 

Self amalgamating tape tho, now that might help if you can get a long enough roll to wind a decent number of turns around the tank. Will disrupt the airflow in flight a bit tho I expect but if they can up the boost by 5% that oughta cover it 😉 

On 06/09/2022 at 00:57, 900SL said:

Sounds about right.  A neighbor was some kind of engineering director for Boeing and she bailed out soon after they moved HQ to Chicago.  She said things were going down the tubes fast.

I love 737s, but for my peace of mind I've not been on a Max.

• Like 1