NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

19 minutes ago, Elp said:

Are the two sets of mounting screws (M3 or M4 size I think) on your Z61 near the focus tube being used? I've got two mini dovetail saddles there, I used to use one for a mini 30mm guidescope, the other for the asiair. They sort of balance each other out for Dec balance.

No not being used and a neat idea 👍.

39 minutes ago, Elp said:

Having owned both SA and WO one, I'd recommend the WO, I was in the same position and baulked at the added cost and got the SA one first. Many people have used the SA very well, I got annoyed with it. Now I can PA within 2 minutes sometimes, usually within 5 to less than 30 a/s, closest I ever got before stopping was 4 a/s.

Synscan pro app, are you installing v1.19 or another version? I've used this successfully on Android 11 and 12. Any prior version just turned off (crashed/minimised itself) immediately upon loading.

I have just downloaded the app for iOS on the website. It unfortunately doesn’t say which version it is. I’m not sure why it’s worked for my other device , I did a quick Google and people have had similar problems I will try and have another look.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Olli said:

I have just downloaded the app for iOS on the website. It unfortunately doesn’t say which version it is. I’m not sure why it’s worked for my other device , I did a quick Google and people have had similar problems I will try and have another look.

Is the Android version fully up to date?  There was a bug with the previous version that would cause it to crash.  Turning off the 'use location sensor' in settings/location would stop it crashing.  Just need to manually input your location

10 hours ago, herne said:

I'm also experimenting with how to attach my ASI air to the mount or scope, rather than leaving it lying loose on the tripod spacer plate, with associated trailing cables.  There seems to be sufficient room on the end of my Z61's dovetail, mounting it underneath.  A little awkward to get at the hex bolt, but not impossible.  I also have a load of metal L brackets from a DIY shop which may be useful - kind of like @AstroNebulee's DSLR L bracket but much more home made.  Something to try out and will post a pic once cobbled together.

Because my setup has been designed to be light and "cheap" (as if...) I found it difficult to mount the Asiair on the dovetail bar with the optional clamp as it collided with the mount. In the end I've cobbled together some bits and mounted it vertically with the mini wifi router. I've also mounted 2 Talentcell power bricks on the mount itself as it seems that the mount and the Asiair should have separate power sources, the whole lot weighs in at 2.7Kg, I'm not sure what influence the power bricks have on balancing. As mentioned earlier I've followed Andrea Minoea on YT for the final balance process and it seems OK. Just waiting for first light with this!

20220424_085732_DxO.jpg.a09e8f622b7a1b7f19544505090d719e.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Because my setup has been designed to be light and "cheap" (as if...) I found it difficult to mount the Asiair on the dovetail bar with the optional clamp as it collided with the mount. In the end I've cobbled together some bits and mounted it vertically with the mini wifi router. I've also mounted 2 Talentcell power bricks on the mount itself as it seems that the mount and the Asiair should have separate power sources, the whole lot weighs in at 2.7Kg, I'm not sure what influence the power bricks have on balancing. As mentioned earlier I've followed Andrea Minoea on YT for the final balance process and it seems OK. Just waiting for first light with this!

Very nice and interesting to see where you’ve managed to fit the asi air and Wi-Fi router.  The 533mc Pro is on my shopping list so good to see it included.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, herne said:

Connecting it to a more suitable power supply works nicely.

That's great it works much better on a newer power supply, hopefully uou can get the asiair mounted somewhere underneath the dovetail as I found it the best way for me to keep everything nicely balanced. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

I've been busy concentrating on my main pier mounted setup that my little GTi has been a bit neglected. @geeklee I stripped it all down last weekend and loosened up the retaining ring that made it too stiff. Swings free as a bird now 👍 Also meshed the gears up and regreased while I was at it.

I pulled the finger out today and finally made a homebrew counterweight. A few rough calculations, scope at 3kg and approx 150mm from fulcrum needs around 1.8kg counterweight at around 250mm from fulcrum. So a concrete cylinder of around 100mm diameter at 100mm deep is about bang on the money. I may need a slightly longer bar but will see what it's like tomorrow. 

20220423_151831.jpg

20220423_151848.jpg

20220423_155824.jpg

Loving the homemade counterweight. Hope the strip down, regrease and meshing does the trick, I've yet to try my adjustments yet. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Olli said:

This thread has been extremely helpful. I just have a couple of questions, hopefully hasn’t been asked. I am looking at a Eq wedge for the mount and have seen the star adventurer or the wo mount which is nearly double the price. What mount would you recommend out the two? Also when trying to set up SynScan on my phone the app constantly  crashes when searching for the scope.  I have managed to set it up on my iPad but would prefer to use the phone I tried downloading it from the website but still no joy.

It all depends on the wedge really. I used the sw sa one and have the WO one now. There's nothing wrong with the SA one atall just a bit clunky, the Dec adjustment can be a bit corse. You can fine tune much easier on the WO and it's much beefier too. I love using it. I didn't mind using the SA wedge at all, I only upgraded as I sold my sa 2i to fund other things. 

Edited by AstroNebulee

2 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

It's looking fantastic Laurence, I've enjoyed watching you build your 'cheap' az gti set up 😉. I would say upgrade to the adm vixen saddle though, so much more secure and clamps along the dovetail nicely and not on the single screw point. Just an idea 👍, can't wait to hear your first light report😊

• Like 1

Placed the order for the AZ-GT. it might need some tweaking to get it to 3mins guided with PE less than a 1”. Will be used with WO wedge, AZ extension tube, Redcat51, Asiair Plus, ASI533MC, WO Uniguide + ASI290MM mini. Total weight, 3.25kgr (including cables).

Have bought a Manfrotto carrier bag, that will fit everything and with total weight less than 10kgr (including 2 kgr weights) 

50473E08-C8D7-4082-AAC6-B7A794E01B8A.jpeg

7C824A49-F6B8-43A9-9A5E-6E33C221C9D5.jpeg

592FD742-A546-4155-A0C7-EBBA417275FE.jpeg

559E1E1F-C4B5-4769-937A-305D5107ACD9.jpeg

7F20C504-F0C0-4A1E-BE96-615C8AFB892D.jpeg

• Like 4

Playing around this morning, settled on this set up for ASI Air positioning (and perhaps helps a little with balance too):

spacer.png

I swapped out the dovetail back to the one that came with the Z61 as there is better spacing.  Getting an Allen key between the scope and bar to tighten the hex bolt holding the AAP is a little tight but just doable.  Here's a close up:

spacer.png

I'm glad I did have a play around as I also noticed the small hex bolts on the base plate next to the bubble level had come a little loose so needed tightening.  And while on the subject of the eq wedge, by default it comes with a large plastic head on the adjusting and locking bolts, one of which can get in the way while slewing.  Replacing it with a regular hex bolt (once tightened it rarely if ever needs adjusting) helps:

spacer.png

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, George Sinanis said:

Placed the order for the AZ-GT. it might need some tweaking to get it to 3mins guided with PE less than a 1”. Will be used with WO wedge, AZ extension tube, Redcat51, Asiair Plus, ASI533MC, WO Uniguide + ASI290MM mini. Total weight, 3.25kgr (including cables).

Have bought a Manfrotto carrier bag, that will fit everything and with total weight less than 10kgr (including 2 kgr weights) 

50473E08-C8D7-4082-AAC6-B7A794E01B8A.jpeg

7C824A49-F6B8-43A9-9A5E-6E33C221C9D5.jpeg

592FD742-A546-4155-A0C7-EBBA417275FE.jpeg

559E1E1F-C4B5-4769-937A-305D5107ACD9.jpeg

7F20C504-F0C0-4A1E-BE96-615C8AFB892D.jpeg

Very nice indeed George 👍. I'd be interested to see how it balances with your guidescope and AAP there. Let us know how you get on when your az gti arrives 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, herne said:

Playing around this morning, settled on this set up for ASI Air positioning (and perhaps helps a little with balance too):

spacer.png

I swapped out the dovetail back to the one that came with the Z61 as there is better spacing.  Getting an Allen key between the scope and bar to tighten the hex bolt holding the AAP is a little tight but just doable.  Here's a close up:

spacer.png

I'm glad I did have a play around as I also noticed the small hex bolts on the base plate next to the bubble level had come a little loose so needed tightening.  And while on the subject of the eq wedge, by default it comes with a large plastic head on the adjusting and locking bolts, one of which can get in the way while slewing.  Replacing it with a regular hex bolt (once tightened it rarely if ever needs adjusting) helps:

spacer.png

Very nice, I'm loving seeing all the az gti set ups this morning. The AAP is perfect in this position. It'll definitely help with balance as it's all inline now. Regarding the replacement of the plastic headed bolt for the saddle plate is a definite when pairing with az gti and sa wedge. 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

Very nice indeed George 👍. I'd be interested to see how it balances with your guidescope and AAP there. Let us know how you get on when your az gti arrives 😊

Having the same thought tbh……it balances pretty ok with the Star Adventurer…..a bit off at dec but, nothing major. When I get the az-gt I will report back definitely. If it does not work, I will move the Asiair under the front of the dovetail.

Edited by George Sinanis
  • Like 1

1 no. custom Birds Custard almost 2kg counterweight. I cast a nut into the bottom so it can screw up or down for fine tuning.

20220424_121625.thumb.jpg.e6bc394eec708274930189a323616842.jpg

20220424_121641.thumb.jpg.8305b7ebf18f31a1db72bfe0437ebd57.jpg

As I suspected the bar is just a tad short so will pick up a length from B&Q and cut down to around 400mm or so. Apart from that I just need to set it up to work with Stellarmate and we're away 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

1 no. custom Birds Custard almost 2kg counterweight. I cast a nut into the bottom so it can screw up or down for fine tuning.

20220424_121625.thumb.jpg.e6bc394eec708274930189a323616842.jpg

20220424_121641.thumb.jpg.8305b7ebf18f31a1db72bfe0437ebd57.jpg

As I suspected the bar is just a tad short so will pick up a length from B&Q and cut down to around 400mm or so. Apart from that I just need to set it up to work with Stellarmate and we're away 

It's looking great David. One thought. I noticed that the centre of the scope set up is off to one side and not in line with the centre of the tripod pillar. I'm only saying this as mine was in a very similar position and I had a lot of trouble adjusting my dec bolts when doing PA as it was quite hard to get any adjustment. I know yours is a lighter set up than my 72ed. Just maybe worth considering adding a longer dovetail to the scope set up and moving it in the direction of the red arrow to bring it more towards the centre. 👍

Screenshot_20220424_135611.jpg

IMG_20220306_125843.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

It's looking great David. One thought. I noticed that the centre of the scope set up is off to one side and not in line with the centre of the tripod pillar. I'm only saying this as mine was in a very similar position and I had a lot of trouble adjusting my dec bolts when doing PA as it was quite hard to get any adjustment. I know yours is a lighter set up than my 72ed. Just maybe worth considering adding a longer dovetail to the scope set up and moving it in the direction of the red arrow to bring it more towards the centre. 👍

Screenshot_20220424_135611.jpg

IMG_20220306_125843.jpg

Just looking at how you attach the azgti to your WO eq wedge.  It looks like a regular dovetail (Astro Essentials?) but how is that connected to the azgti?  Just a single bolt into the base or something different?  Does the head of the bolt get in the way of the wedge’s saddle or is that inside the recess groove underneath the dovetail?  It also looks like you have a nut and bolt at the top of the dovetail - does that serve a purpose as well?

A WO wedge is on my shopping list (as are an ADM saddle, a sturdier tripod and new camera) so interested in how things connect.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, herne said:

Just looking at how you attach the azgti to your WO eq wedge.  It looks like a regular dovetail (Astro Essentials?) but how is that connected to the azgti?  Just a single bolt into the base or something different?  Does the head of the bolt get in the way of the wedge’s saddle or is that inside the recess groove underneath the dovetail?  It also looks like you have a nut and bolt at the top of the dovetail - does that serve a purpose as well?

A WO wedge is on my shopping list (as are an ADM saddle, a sturdier tripod and new camera) so interested in how things connect.

Yes I use a normal astro essentials dovetail bar here from FLO 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html

I've used a bolt up through the groove so the head is recessed and out of the way (using a thread adapter to secure to the az gti as it a different size). I have since reconfigured the safety stop bolt at the end of the dovetail bar so it's flat headed on the top and not foul the mount and a couple of nuts below to act as a safety stop if it slides. 

Also a strip of hockey stick tape on the dovetail bar and underside of the az gti grips it perfectly and no need of a bolt in the dimple on the az gti to stop any rotation of mount on the bar. 

IMG_20220317_190520.jpg

IMG_20220424_185252.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

Yes I use a normal astro essentials dovetail bar here from FLO 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html

I've used a bolt up through the groove so the head is recessed and out of the way (using a thread adapter to secure to the az gti as it a different size). I have since reconfigured the safety stop bolt at the end of the dovetail bar so it's flat headed on the top and not foul the mount and a couple of nuts below to act as a safety stop if it slides. 

Also a strip of hockey stick tape on the dovetail bar and underside of the az gti grips it perfectly and no need of a bolt in the dimple on the az gti to stop any rotation of mount on the bar. 

IMG_20220317_190520.jpg

IMG_20220424_185252.jpg

Very neat 👍.

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

New AZ GTi owner here just trying to get started and this thread looks like a good place to get some help 🙂.

My aim is to use a wired connection to my laptop and do AP using SharpCap, PHD2, and CDC.  I have bought the Lynx Astro EQDIR cable for AZ GTi and I’ve already used this to update the MCFirmwareLoader to access EQ mode.  My problem is that I seem unable to get my windows 10 Laptop to connect to the mount through the windows SynScan Pro app.  Each time I press connect it asks me to enter location, which I dutifully do, but then it just asks for it again when I press Connect. I can validate that the connection is ok as the EQ Firmware update has worked ok (I can tell this when I connect via iPad) so it looks like it’s just the Windows SynScan App that’s the problem.

Any hints/tips much appreciated.

Andrew

• Like 3

Very pleased to report I’ve managed to sort it.  Remembered a similar issue with Firecapture that was resolved through not saving the App in the Program Files folder.  Something to do with Read/Write permissions I think.  Anyway, once I’d saved the SynScan Pro app to desktop rather than Program Files, all worked fine 👍.

• Like 4

Well, my attempted first light came to nothing yesterday when I discovered that I'd forgotten how to effectively operate my WO wedge, after 2 hours I gave up and re-acquainted myself with the operation of the wedge this morning. I also set up too close to the house so my second position in Asiair plate solving was pointed at the kitchen😅.

Onwards and upwards..........

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

Well, my attempted first light came to nothing yesterday when I discovered that I'd forgotten how to effectively operate my WO wedge, after 2 hours I gave up and re-acquainted myself with the operation of the wedge this morning. I also set up too close to the house so my second position in Asiair plate solving was pointed at the kitchen😅.

Onwards and upwards.........

Hopefully your next attempt will be flawless and work perfectly Laurence. We're you trying to plate solve the 'whirlpool'..... washing machine in your kitchen 😉

• Haha 1

Hello guys, back in the game. My 183mc pro camera arrived today. I had to change vendor for first time in years, covid apparently still causing delays but I couldn't wait.

Should get my uv/ir cut filter tomorrow but if conditions are ok I will do some broadband subs tonight of the IRIS and if time allows the Soul nebula.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Next little project - powering 2 dew heater straps.  How are people doing this?

At present I plug my 2, which have USB cables, directly into a mains extension lead (it has USB ports built in).  I do have a little battery pack but that drains after about 2 hours of use, so no good.

Other than getting a larger battery pack and mounting it somewhere on the tripod or AZ-gti, is there a way of powering the dew heaters direct from one of the ASI Air's power output ports?  I guess ideally a male DC to female USB cable, preferably with a Y splitter to couple with 2 USB plugs into a single outlet, but I can't find anything like that without combining multiple cables, which is just getting messy.  I'm sure there's a simple solution but clearly much too simple for me!