Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

I used to use a USB y splitter powering my 2 dew straps though via a talentcell battery pack and not through the AAP 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133587579957?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=LqJLnACaRFC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Fo3Iht4XRKy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Now I use this mains powered USB hubs via amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B099MLL1FG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_F5QXHPZYG3CSQ9N2FYY7

IMG_20220425_172416.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

Do you use a cooled camera, only ask cos my 183 pro has 2x USB plugs on back that could be utilised.

I actually have a home made, 6" dew shield I put onto the imaging scope, I do need a tape for my guide tbf.

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Do you use a cooled camera, only ask cos my 183 pro has 2x USB plugs on back that could be utilised.

I actually have a home made, 6" dew shield I put onto the imaging scope, I do need a tape for my guide tbf.

Not at present, it’s on my shopping list (a 533mc pro).  Interesting the USB ports could be used to power dew straps.

Thanks for replies all.  I’ll probably persist with the mains power adapter for now which has 4 USB ports - much the same thing as a USB hub, just bigger.  I’ll strap it to a tripod leg and see how it goes.  Long term I’ll get a smaller USB hub if the ports on the back of a camera don’t work out.

• Like 1

Just had a data clearout, didn't realise just how much I had (239GB). 

To be honest none of it was really good as it was learning material but I got my best efforts and saved them before dumping the data it came from. 

Bear in mind the longest amount of main RGB data is about an hour as I was initially trying to see how far I could get off lower amounts of data.

Going forwards I shall be taking more and also using UV/IR and UHC filters as appropriate.

1730252148_Doublecluster.thumb.jpg.9e403514c900cca6cd2da0254b3aaa73.jpg

Double Cluster

2144430235_gimpM82.thumb.jpg.d634c2022c1f3d811f0b50ceaf1cf07f.jpg

M82, too much red left in.

2085408061_M81processed.thumb.jpg.36a5871b8e4c2527f66d306923b7d3e7.jpg

M81,82. Was actually quite pleased with this although not sure if there was an issue with my darks & bias files here.

533871486_californiaoverprocessed.thumb.jpg.63972397cae41f85e2b851d0461f350b.jpg

California Nebula. Very over processed but only had 25 minutes data.

Anyway I promised a picture of the new rig once mods have been applied. The camera as you can see is a pro version, the ZWO 183MC pro. I have the powertank straps to the centre pillar and finally I have added an additional counterweight as the one wasn't enough. 

Guestimate of total weight around 4kg inc weights.

20220425_193032.thumb.jpg.2926ecb4324df7f298f6cf346a72d45d.jpg

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Just had a data clearout, didn't realise just how much I had (239GB). 

To be honest none of it was really good as it was learning material but I got my best efforts and saved them before dumping the data it came from. 

Bear in mind the longest amount of main RGB data is about an hour as I was initially trying to see how far I could get off lower amounts of data.

Going forwards I shall be taking more and also using UV/IR and UHC filters as appropriate.

1730252148_Doublecluster.thumb.jpg.9e403514c900cca6cd2da0254b3aaa73.jpg

Double Cluster

2144430235_gimpM82.thumb.jpg.d634c2022c1f3d811f0b50ceaf1cf07f.jpg

M82, too much red left in.

2085408061_M81processed.thumb.jpg.36a5871b8e4c2527f66d306923b7d3e7.jpg

M81,82. Was actually quite pleased with this although not sure if there was an issue with my darks & bias files here.

533871486_californiaoverprocessed.thumb.jpg.63972397cae41f85e2b851d0461f350b.jpg

California Nebula. Very over processed but only had 25 minutes data.

Anyway I promised a picture of the new rig once mods have been applied. The camera as you can see is a pro version, the ZWO 183MC pro. I have the powertank straps to the centre pillar and finally I have added an additional counterweight as the one wasn't enough. 

Guestimate of total weight around 4kg inc weights.

20220425_193032.thumb.jpg.2926ecb4324df7f298f6cf346a72d45d.jpg

Nice setup, I think I'm having power issues in that the power bank/Asiair connection seems to die suddenly, I think the power bank is dropping from 12v.

What power tank are you  using there?

1 hour ago, herne said:

Not at present, it’s on my shopping list (a 533mc pro).  Interesting the USB ports could be used to power dew straps.

Thanks for replies all.  I’ll probably persist with the mains power adapter for now which has 4 USB ports - much the same thing as a USB hub, just bigger.  I’ll strap it to a tripod leg and see how it goes.  Long term I’ll get a smaller USB hub if the ports on the back of a camera don’t work out.

I'm not sure how much amps the dew straps will consume being connected to the osc, they are quite thirsty things the dew straps. I think the USB ports on the back of osc are mainly for guidecamera, electronic filter wheels and focusers, things that don't draw much amps, it may prove too much along with cooling the osc and being powered through the AAP. I may be wrong though. 

With my 294 mc pro I wouldn't want to connect dew straps to my camera, not sure if it'd shorten the life of the osc. I think much better to use a separate USB Hub as you do. This is just my opinion 😊

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Nice setup, I think I'm having power issues in that the power bank/Asiair connection seems to die suddenly, I think the power bank is dropping from 12v.

What power tank are you  using there?

This little fella here is my power option Lawrence:

Celestron Lithium 13.2 Ah LiFePO4 Powertank Pro | First Light Optics

Tested it with everything running including cooling at still getting a steady 12.6V input and 12.4V from the two ports in use. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

I'm not sure how much amps the dew straps will consume being connected to the osc, they are quite thirsty things the dew straps. I think the USB ports on the back of osc are mainly for guidecamera, electronic filter wheels and focusers, things that don't draw much amps, it may prove too much along with cooling the osc and being powered through the AAP. I may be wrong though. 

With my 294 mc pro I wouldn't want to connect dew straps to my camera, much better to use a separate USB Hub as you do. This is just my opinion 😊

Good point actually, max draw of USB 2 is only 0.5A.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

With my 294 mc pro I wouldn't want to connect dew straps to my camera, not sure if it'd shorten the life of the osc. I think much better to use a separate USB Hub as you do. This is just my opinion 😊

👍

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Tested it with everything running including cooling at still getting a steady 12.6V input and 12.4V from the two ports in use. 

I was worried it might be the expensive one 😅, I think I'd get away with the next one down as I'm still able to run the mount from another Talentcell power bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaurenceT said:

I was worried it might be the expensive one 😅, I think I'd get away with the next one down as I'm still able to run the mount from another Talentcell power bank.

I have the Celestron PowerTank LT which is the smaller version, when i used the Canon 600D i would get about 4 hours running two 12V dew straps, AZ-GTI, Guide camera and ASI AIR Pro. Now i have the ASI533 MC Pro i suspect that will be reduced to about 2-3 hours as the cooling takes an additional 0.5 amps at -10deg. Having said that now the evenings are warmer i'm not using the dew straps so might still get 4 hours. 

BTW i've advertised the Canon 600D (Astro Modified) in the Sell/Swap section if anyones interested.

• Like 2

A new firmware update 3.38 for the az gti mount has been posted on skywatchers website as of Sunday. 

The release notes says it fixes a bug with the set speed extended command. 

I'm still running 3.36, not even upgraded to 3.37 yet (I've not felt the need to). 

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

Screenshot_20220426_060148.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

A new firmware update 3.38 for the az gti mount has been posted on skywatchers website as of Sunday. 

The release notes says it fixes a bug with the set speed extended command. 

I'm still running 3.36, not even upgraded to 3.37 yet (I've not felt the need to). 

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

Screenshot_20220426_060148.jpg

I haven’t felt the need either - “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

Finally managed to have clear skies last night so got out for a session to test powering my DSLR, AZ-gti and guide camera (via USB) directly from the ASI Air Pro using a single 12v 5amp power supply into the AAP.  Happy to report that during the 5 hour session everything worked just fine 👍.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

My Talentcell power brick failed this mornings dummy run indoors. Lasted about 2.5 hours powering the Asiair Pro, Mini router and  ZWO533mc pro with cooling and dew heater running. The mount was powered by a smaller Talentcell. It looks as though I'll be getting the one you use, at least all 3 output ports can be used simultaneously unlike it's younger sibling. That got sent back anyway as it packed up after 3 hours just powering an Az GTi doing nothing!

I'm tempted to look at the Jackery 240 but I must compare specs first.

• Like 1

Well first time tonight in getting the scope out since 24th March. 

Testing the adjustments I made in meshing the RA motor gears together and re-engaging the RA spring here. 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/387014-skywatcher-az-gti-mount-owners-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4230370

There's a bit of play in RA in the mount now and when I tighten the RA clutch and move the mount there's play and I can hear the spring. 🙁 This was causing some unusual guiding in RA for me so I shall revert back to disengaging the RA spring and meshing the worm and gear back together to stop the play.  So got another job tinkering at the weekend. 

I'd say the meshing of the motor gears is ok though. 

Just had around 10x120 sec subs on M13 & M3 to check. Early start in the morning and overtime, roll on Fridays and Saturdays when it's a clear night. 

Hope everyone else is having fun tonight. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
Spelling
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Well first time tonight in getting the scope out since 24th March. 

Testing the adjustments I made in meshing the RA motor gears together and re-engaging the RA spring here. 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/387014-skywatcher-az-gti-mount-owners-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4230370

There's a bit of play in RA in the mount now and when I tighten the RA clutch and move the mount there's play and I can hear the spring. 🙁 This was causing some unusual guiding in RA for me so I shall revert back to disengaging the RA spring and meshing the worm and gear back together to stop the play.  So got another job tinkering at the weekend. 

I'd say the meshing of the motor gears is ok though. 

Just had around 10x120 sec subs on M13 & M3 to check. Early start in the morning and overtime, roll on Fridays and Saturdays when it's a clear night. 

If you haven’t seen it already, here’s a video from Astrobloke showing his strip down of the AZgti.  iirc he specifically mentions the spring and doing it differently to cuiv.

Clouds finally parted for me around midnight although still a few about so reduced subs to 90 secs rather than 3 mins to dodge clouds.  Haven’t looked at the data yet so not sure what’s been captured (I went after M81/82).  On the plus side I actually remembered to remove the L-enhance filter this time 😄.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, herne said:

If you haven’t seen it already, here’s a video from Astrobloke showing his strip down of the AZgti.  iirc he specifically mentions the spring and doing it differently to cuiv.

Clouds finally parted for me around midnight although still a few about so reduced subs to 90 secs rather than 3 mins to dodge clouds.  Haven’t looked at the data yet so not sure what’s been captured (I went after M81/82).  On the plus side I actually remembered to remove the L-enhance filter this time 😄.

Thank you. Yes I've watched both videos before and previously I had the RA worm and gear meshed thus not using the spring I thought I'd try with the spring engaged but was worse so will go back to how I had it. 

That's great you got out with your scope and remembering to remove the L-Enhance. Hopefully you got some good data 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee
Spelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Cloudy here last tonight but i did manage 3x1 hour sessions on M81/M82 and a 1 hour session on M51 all with the new camera (ASI533MCPro) over the last few days. They're a bit small for my focal length but hopefully should get something worthwhile out of the data.  All need processing now.

• Like 4

I watched the videos from Cuiv and Astrobloke but on my AZ GTI I also noticed that there are some m3 1.5mm hex grub screws near where the spring pulls on the worm mechanism. What I noticed is that mine had backed out a lot allowing the worm gear to move very far away. I have done these grub screws up so there is a very minimal play on the worm gear if there is some eccentricity in the main gears and this has removed most of the backlash. The idea is that this will allow it to move if needed but only a very small amount. I suppose that is why Synta/Sky Watcher put them in there. This I think is a half way house between Cuiv's complete locking up of the worm gear vs Astrobloke's keeping the original spring mechanism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayWUK said:

Cloudy here last tonight but i did manage 3x1 hour sessions on M81/M82 and a 1 hour session on M51 all with the new camera (ASI533MCPro) over the last few days. They're a bit small for my focal length but hopefully should get something worthwhile out of the data.  All need processing now.

Really looking forward to your results Ray, as you say maybe a bit small a target but really worthwhile to try, M51 is a real beauty 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee
Spelling

1 hour ago, Grant Fribbens said:

I watched the videos from Cuiv and Astrobloke but on my AZ GTI I also noticed that there are some m3 1.5mm hex grub screws near where the spring pulls on the worm mechanism. What I noticed is that mine had backed out a lot allowing the worm gear to move very far away. I have done these grub screws up so there is a very minimal play on the worm gear if there is some eccentricity in the main gears and this has removed most of the backlash. The idea is that this will allow it to move if needed but only a very small amount. I suppose that is why Synta/Sky Watcher put them in there. This I think is a half way house between Cuiv's complete locking up of the worm gear vs Astrobloke's keeping the original spring mechanism.

Yep, I'm going l back in the mount at the weekend as its cloudy for the foreseeable. Will check mine out, like I say just going to disengage the spring as I had it before. 👍