Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

Lovely images both.

@Ags was that in alt-az mode, did I read that in another thread?

Looking forward to the double cluster image @AstroNebulee!

My AZ-GTi has been packed away in its little home for a while, last time it was out was in the UK but it only had one outing sadly. Have been too busy playing with the Skytee/102ED combo 🙂

I did actually buy one upgrade - I wanted to stop burning through batteries and get a proper powertank, so I went for the smaller Celestron. Yet to try the two out together though. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Lovely images both.

Looking forward to the double cluster image @AstroNebulee!

My AZ-GTi has been packed away in its little home for a while, last time it was out was in the UK but it only had one outing sadly. Have been too busy playing with the Skytee/102ED combo 🙂

I did actually buy one upgrade - I wanted to stop burning through batteries and get a proper powertank, so I went for the smaller Celestron. Yet to try the two out together though. 

Hi, I've got the cluster image processing atm, only half hour of data as to windy, I've currently set my scope up here know as I'm gambling on a 2 hour patch of clear sky heading my way but we'll see. The celestron power tank sounds just the job indeed I used to use the talentcell battery pa k for the az gti, but since getting the AAP I dangle an extension lead from my flat window and power that and dummy battery pack for my dslr too.Have fun with your skytee & 102, Happy Xmas 😊

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Elp said:

The Celestron Lithium LT is a great combo with the AZGTI, can even use it with an Asiair Pro to power everything in the full AP setup.

How is your AzGti going, have you had any clear skies to try out your new settings, happy Xmas 🎉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badhex said:

I was using Alt-Az mode, and I wasn't using goto - I just levelled the mount and used point-and-track (that seems to give better tracking 🤣). One innovation I did was use the rotating focusser of my telescope to compensate for the rotation of the target.

@AstroNebulee and @badhex thanks for the comments, I did the picture with AstroPixelProcessor and it has really taken my image to the next level!

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

How is your AzGti going, have you had any clear skies to try out your new settings, happy Xmas 🎉

Nope, grey as usual, can't even do solar during the day. Missed Comet Leonard and the geminids for yet another year.

Don't think spreading these around help either...

DSC_2126.thumb.JPG.2c93ff6f87625e72b0e0d98dac80c75f.JPG

Happy holidays to you and all!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ags said:

I was using Alt-Az mode, and I wasn't using goto - I just levelled the mount and used point-and-track (that seems to give better tracking 🤣). One innovation I did was use the rotating focusser of my telescope to compensate for the rotation of the target.

@AstroNebulee and @badhex thanks for the comments, I did the picture with AstroPixelProcessor and it has really taken my image to the next level!

Sounds brilliant Ags well done, it's a fantastic image and great processing 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

great processing

I literally downloaded the trial version of AstroPixelProcessor, ran it with default settings and nudged a few sliders 1% from their defaults in the final processing. I now believe in magic, and have bought an APP license.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi, I've got the cluster image processing atm, only half hour of data as to windy, I've currently set my scope up here know as I'm gambling on a 2 hour patch of clear sky heading my way but we'll see. The celestron power tank sounds just the job indeed I used to use the talentcell battery pa k for the az gti, but since getting the AAP I dangle an extension lead from my flat window and power that and dummy battery pack for my dslr too.Have fun with your skytee & 102, Happy Xmas 😊

Thanks buddy - happy Christmas to you too! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ags said:

Great image, it's surprising how capable this mount is (and ironic the most basic mode is more successful for you than other modes, I know you had tons of issues with runaway etc.)

During summer and the eclipse I also only levelled the mount and then did point and track on the sun and it stayed in view with only 2-3 minor corrections in a several hour session! 

• Like 3

I've been looking long and hard at tthis mount, so this thread has come about at just the right time!  I have a Star Adventurer Pro, which is great, but the thought of making a simple goto portable system really appeals - and there seems little else to touch the AZ-GTI mount for its capabilities.  I've thought about adding a stepper motor to the Star Adventurer Pro to motorise the DEC axis (that may still be something to do while the clouds are here... 🤪) but that may be a step too far (excuse the pun) as the RA-axis will still only slew at 12x Sidereal.  What's the slew rate of the AZ-GTI?

As I have the SAP, I also have the tripod, so I was wondering if you can get hold of the pier extension seperately - or do I have to buy the whole caboodle just to get the extension?  Does anyone know?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, badhex said:

I don't know about the smaller Celestron powerpack, but I have the Powerpack Pro, and the AZ GTI on its own does not draw enough power to stop the auto-cutoff in the battery switching off the power. My simple solution for this will be to add a dew band once the right size comes back into stock to up the power consumption. This is only a problem when using it for visual, cameras etc will generate a high enough power consumption to keep the battery active.

• Like 2

Here's my rendition of the double cluster in Cassiopea NGC 884 a 869. It was only 30 mins at 180sec 800 iso under a near full moon on 16-12-21. Once again it looks much better on the laptop before saving as jpg to post. Clusters are not my fav to image, but after 2 months of cloud was glad of something. IMG_20211224_120601.thumb.jpg.da0caccf1478d62244727cb982ecc324.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 3

Using the Celestron Lithium LT I can confirm it doesn't autoswitch off using the Azgti. I was having constant shutoff issues prior using new or fully charged AA batteries (slewing would stop etc). Since the LT, no issues since and it can sometimes last 2-3 3-4 hour sessions between charges. I bought it as it seems the most capable and compact power solution, the only issue I see is there's only one 12v output but that's not an issue with an Asiair pro as you can do multiple outputs through that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Here's my rendition of the double cluster in Cassiopea NGC 884 a 869. It was only 30 mins at 180sec 800 iso under a near full moon on 16-12-21. Once again it looks much better on the laptop before saving as jpg to post. Clusters are not my fab to image, but after 2 months of cloud was glad of something. IMG_20211224_120601.thumb.jpg.da0caccf1478d62244727cb982ecc324.jpg

Lovely image Lee - the double cluster is one of my favourites! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ags said:

@savcom I think you are looking for this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe-mount-extension-tube.html

Regarding AZ-GTi slew speed, you can loosen the clutches and move it quickly by hand without losing alignment.

Thanks for the link. I'll order that anyway after Christmas.

As for the Slew Rate, it sounds as if the AZ-GTI is hampered in the same way as the Star Adventurer Pro - or do I gather that the AZ-GTI has encoders from your comment about not losing alignment?

25 minutes ago, savcom said:

Thanks for the link. I'll order that anyway after Christmas.

As for the Slew Rate, it sounds as if the AZ-GTI is hampered in the same way as the Star Adventurer Pro - or do I gather that the AZ-GTI has encoders from your comment about not losing alignment?

It does have encoders on both the alt and az axis😊

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Elp said:

@savcom, simply put, as soon as I bought my azgti I sold my Star Adventurer, says it all.

That's worth considering - unless I keep the SAP for wide-field shots or timelapse.

• Like 1

My AZ GTi started displaying some weird behaviour today. When slewing the azimuth the mount would stop at the same spot, usually it would be able to reverse the direction but when reversed again would stop at the same place, the altitude movement continued to work normally.

Occasionally the blinking red connection light would  continue double blinking indicating that the wifi connection had not been lost but more often the light went out. Now here's the weird bit, if I loosened the azimuth knob the power light would suddenly come on again and then if re-tightened would go off again. It was as if the azimuth knob was acting as an alternative power switch!

This behaviour was reproduced when batteries were substituted for the power bank and when a scope was mounted. I tried the 4 hour wifi reset procedure but this had no effect.

Looks like this mount will be returned, I've only had it less than 2 months.

Any comments gratefully received.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

My AZ GTi started displaying some weird behaviour today. When slewing the azimuth the mount would stop at the same spot, usually it would be able to reverse the direction but when reversed again would stop at the same place, the altitude movement continued to work normally.

Occasionally the blinking red connection light would  continue double blinking indicating that the wifi connection had not been lost but more often the light went out. Now here's the weird bit, if I loosened the azimuth knob the power light would suddenly come on again and then if re-tightened would go off again. It was as if the azimuth knob was acting as an alternative power switch!

This behaviour was reproduced when batteries were substituted for the power bank and when a scope was mounted. I tried the 4 hour wifi reset procedure but this had no effect.

Very strange, have not read about this particular issue. I wonder if it's a dry solder joint which only loses connection at that point when the az clutch is engaged? In any case, if its only a few months old it sounds like a warranty job. Let us know how you get on. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

I agree with @badhexon this. If I were in your position I'd send it back to the retailer for repair or replacement. If it were just the azimuth stopping it could be a piece or swarf stopping it but combined with the power light issue, which I have never heard of before, send it back to the retailer, being only 2 months old. Where did you buy your AzGti from? I hope the retailer gets it sorted for you soon

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1