Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

OK, this time I can't blame the AZ-GTi. I installed the windows app and this connects fine. So it's the phone. Bad phone! Lovely clear night but I have early appointments tomorrow so this precious clear night will now go to waste.

• Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Ags said:

Maybe. But I  lose a clear night. I made progress, and connected to the synscan network, but then got this error:

Screenshot_20220105-215108.thumb.jpg.7724405150f2895dae808b461dcda020.jpg

I'm sure I've seen this before somewhere, it's like the mount isn't transmitting it's WiFi signal. Is the mount flashing led light on, definitely try another device or uninstall the app and reinstall yo see if it helps. 

Trying to do a search on no device found with synscan app. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

I'm sure I've seen this before somewhere, it's like the mount isn't transmitting it's WiFi signal. 

I am going to try sticking with the Windows app for now. Will try controlling it from Astroberry in the future. But I keep thinking I would be better served with an analog EQ mount with a simple RA clock drive. Bad software is the seventh circle of Hell.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ags said:

OK, this time I can't blame the AZ-GTi. I installed the windows app and this connects fine. So it's the phone. Bad phone! Lovely clear night but I have early appointments tomorrow so this precious clear night will now go to waste.

At least you got to the bottom of it Ags, ready for next time now. Your phone didn't update itself as there's some issues with synscan pro not working on android software above 11 I think. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

Just now, Ags said:

Good spot @AstroNebulee! My phone did recently do an update and I see this:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/371426-update-to-android-11-killed-my-synscan/

I did seem to remember a while back and when I was using synscan pro app I kept an old phone and never updated software just incase. Hopefully this has sort of helped you a bit 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I downloaded the latest android synscan and it connects OK. I have no confidence the issue (or any of the innumerable other issues I've had) is fixed, I can just say that no issue is currently occurring.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ags said:

I downloaded the latest android synscan and it connects OK. I have no confidence the issue (or any of the innumerable other issues I've had) is fixed, I can just say that no issue is currently occurring.

Hopefully the issue will be long gone now Ags 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

I did seem to remember a while back and when I was using synscan pro app I kept an old phone and never updated software just incase. Hopefully this has sort of helped you a bit 😊

I do exactly this as well Lee. I have an older phone I use just as a handset for this mount, with a bike phone holder thing attached to one of the tripod legs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ags said:

Glad you got it sorted - at least for now! 😱

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi Ray 

It's been a long time since I used my mount via the synscan app.  I use mine via an asiair pro now, so I shall raid my memory banks for the synscan app one again. 

Can I ask is it still in warranty?

I would definitely suggest updating the firmware just to be sure on that side of things. 

You say 'I usually tighten the clutches then release them so that I can still move by hand.  Not too tight and not too slack.   They both move smoothly when fully released.' 

You shouldn't be able to move the mount by hand when the clutches are tightened up. Sorry if I got confused there. 

What kind of counterweight have you and scope on the mount. 

I think the point and track will be greyed out in EQ mode. 

Just had another thought, have you tried another device to connect to your mount via the synscan app and does your app need updating atall. 

I'll try tighten them up a little more.  Saying that the mount worked flawlessly last night.   Went through the usual PA routine and after that even the 3 star alignment was almost perfect with only a minor adjustment needed. 

After the tree was out of sight line I managed 1hr 26min on M42 which seems to have come out reasonably ok. 

I will try get astroberry setup as soon as I can.  Unit isnt in warranty I bought it 2nd hand about a year ago.  I'm using a skywatcher wedge with a star adventurer counterweight bar.  Instead of the star adventurer weight i'm using an Ioptron 1.2kg Weight on it's own instead.  It's only balancing a widefield Evoguide 50ED & Canon 550d setup right now and it seems to be good on both axis.

Hopefully it was just a one time glitch or something to do with the synscan app.  

Ray

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TerraC said:

I'll try tighten them up a little more.  Saying that the mount worked flawlessly last night.   Went through the usual PA routine and after that even the 3 star alignment was almost perfect with only a minor adjustment needed. 

After the tree was out of sight line I managed 1hr 26min on M42 which seems to have come out reasonably ok. 

I will try get astroberry setup as soon as I can.  Unit isnt in warranty I bought it 2nd hand about a year ago.  I'm using a skywatcher wedge with a star adventurer counterweight bar.  Instead of the star adventurer weight i'm using an Ioptron 1.2kg Weight on it's own instead.  It's only balancing a widefield Evoguide 50ED & Canon 550d setup right now and it seems to be good on both axis.

Hopefully it was just a one time glitch or something to do with the synscan app.  

Ray

Hi Ray 

Good news on the mount working well last night, let's hope it is just a glitch and sorted itself now. 

Could of been the synscan app as @Ags had issues regarding the synscan app last night.

Any further help this thread will do its best 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

On 23/12/2021 at 18:15, AstroNebulee said:

How is your AzGti going, have you had any clear skies to try out your new settings, happy Xmas 🎉

@AstroNebulee SUCCESS!!!

Firmware v3.37. Was out for several hours last night and seems to autoguide okay, no more runaway declination. I made doubly sure the scope was balanced in both Dec and RA and had to add a 0.5kg weight on top of the 1kg which was already on. Sometimes the guiding was off but a recalibrate and allowing it to settle to within 1-2" seems to have helped. Never been able to take more than 30 second photos before and that was widefield, now I've tried 2, 3 and 5 minutes, with 2 minutes being the one I settled on.

Still need to process the images and will update but am finally glad progress has been made with this little mount.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Elp said:

@AstroNebulee SUCCESS!!!

Firmware v3.37. Was out for several hours last night and seems to autoguide okay, no more runaway declination. I made doubly sure the scope was balanced in both Dec and RA and had to add a 0.5kg weight on top of the 1kg which was already on. Sometimes the guiding was off but a recalibrate and allowing it to settle to within 1-2" seems to have helped. Never been able to take more than 30 second photos before and that was widefield, now I've tried 2, 3 and 5 minutes, with 2 minutes being the one I settled on.

Still need to process the images and will update but am finally glad progress has been made with this little mount.

Brilliant! So pleased the firmware update has hopefully sorted your issue now. 

I also find that a little extra weight on the counterweight bar helps. I have 2 star adventurer weights on my cw bar but the bar is shorter. 

2-3 mins are generally the better times to go for in my experience, never gone higher than 3 atm. If you don't already definitely dither your images when taking them if possible. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ags said:

My mercurial mount decided to play nice tonight, perfect tracking of the Pleiades. Tracking didn't work with the PC, but the updated phone app worked well.

Great to hear Ags, I'm glad the phone app was working correctly for you. 👍

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Just an updated image of my set up with my zwo asi294mc pro installed now 😍, please can I have some clear skies now. IMG_20220108_114738.thumb.jpg.c1c547445bc02358355f8791409b4b9c.jpg

Looks fantastic... and I will be back with an Az-Gti hopefully by the end of next month . .. can't wait . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Looks fantastic... and I will be back with an Az-Gti hopefully by the end of next month . .. can't wait . 

Thank you Stu. Just hope to test it out soon if the skies clear. I'm busy building my dark calibration files library now. Great to see you with your AzGti set up soon Stu, they are brilliant little mounts. I'd like to get another AzGti set up just to use in alt az mode with a mak in the future for some nice lunar and planetary imaging. Won't be this year now my pockets are bare haha 😬

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

That's the set up I am purchasing,  I will probably stick to alt az . Do you know if the android problem with synscan is fixed yet ? 

It will be a lovely set up to own, I used to have a 127 mak on my alt az before going eq. I think the issue with the synscan app is know solved @Agsseemed to of conquered it the other night. Look forward to hearing your reports when you get your new set up 👍

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/387014-skywatcher-az-gti-mount-owners-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4192139

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2