Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

1 hour ago, JBadger said:

I've started using a Svbony illuminated crosshair eyepiece for my initial alignments. It is surprising how far off you can be doing it by eye. This makes it easier to align the finder accurately too. 

I agree, I've started using an illuminated crosshair eyepiece and I'm amazed at the accuracy compared with just eyeballing the star. 

• Like 1

First clearish night for god knows how long and its blowing half a gale. ☹️

Hoping to get a good session with the AZ-GTI on Orion nebula before it disappears. Tomorrows weather looking less windy and clear (hopefully).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ags said:

I've posted these elsewhere on the forum, but thought they would be relevant on this thread - some galaxies and a big nebula. 4 second subs with the AZ-GTi in alt-az mode.

IMG-20220223-WA0002.jpg.316bf68ce4951457265dab2b0aad21ff.jpg

rosette-gimp-3.thumb.jpg.dfb3e5cf3fc9abfefc1fc648cb0cce48.jpg

Stunning Ags, absolutely loving your Rossette nebula. I've had a go tonight and managed 8x 180 sec subs before the Meridian came (my setup don't do well after the Meridian for some reason) yours is beautiful and only 4 sec subs 😍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RayWUK said:

First clearish night for god knows how long and its blowing half a gale. ☹️

Hoping to get a good session with the AZ-GTI on Orion nebula before it disappears. Tomorrows weather looking less windy and clear (hopefully).

Good luck Ray, I've been out tonight to sort my eggy star issue, not a puff of wind but transparency is rubbish. Moro night looking good but blowing a hooley supposedly. 

So I'm out with the scopes at the moment and things aren't too bad, but could be a lot better. I took my time making sure the spirit bubble on the GTi was near enough centred with one leg pointing north. I the used the scope to point the mount north by centring Polaris, and levelled the scope with a spirit level.i can't get the position sensor to work on the app - as soon as I turn it on, the app crashes and my phone goes to home screen. Tried both versions from play store. Anyway, managed to get some meaningful GPS coordinates, so started off with a level North alignment.

It actually wasn't too bad by the second star. I chose Arcturus and Betelgeuse as they're opposite sides of the sky. Arcturus was a mile out, but having manually centred and slewed to Betelgeuse, it was pretty close - not in the FOV but not far out. I went to a few other stars to try to get the mount to "learn" where its pointing (making the adjustments and confirming), after around 12 different attempts, it put its first star in the eyepiece. Tracking isn't too bad, drifting noticeably over half an hour. Think I'm on the right track. 

Looks like high cloud is going to put an end to tonight. 

7 hours ago, OK Apricot said:

So I'm out with the scopes at the moment and things aren't too bad, but could be a lot better. I took my time making sure the spirit bubble on the GTi was near enough centred with one leg pointing north. I the used the scope to point the mount north by centring Polaris, and levelled the scope with a spirit level.i can't get the position sensor to work on the app - as soon as I turn it on, the app crashes and my phone goes to home screen. Tried both versions from play store. Anyway, managed to get some meaningful GPS coordinates, so started off with a level North alignment.

It actually wasn't too bad by the second star. I chose Arcturus and Betelgeuse as they're opposite sides of the sky. Arcturus was a mile out, but having manually centred and slewed to Betelgeuse, it was pretty close - not in the FOV but not far out. I went to a few other stars to try to get the mount to "learn" where its pointing (making the adjustments and confirming), after around 12 different attempts, it put its first star in the eyepiece. Tracking isn't too bad, drifting noticeably over half an hour. Think I'm on the right track. 

Looks like high cloud is going to put an end to tonight. 

Hi, I've seen this issue before with the app crashing, I'm sure @Agshad these issues too and a few other users. So they can also suggest solutions. It could be that your phone is running a higher android os and synscan pro doesn't like this. (think it's android 11 that's iffy) 

Try downloading the synscan app from the skywatcher website here. I think that cured a users issue. 

https://skywatcher.com/download/software/synscan-app/

Also could you try another device with android is lower than 11.

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

Just tried opening the app now, every time I open it, it closes itself in seconds. I went back to the link and downloaded the "experimental version" and it stays open, however it closes itself when I try to turn on location sensor (permissions allowed). I'm using Android 12 on an A52S. 

In case anyone has the WO wedge for setting the AZGTi up in EQ mode but you don't have that small vixen dovetail that comes with a Star Adventurer, you can use a 50mm quick release plate instead. These are available on the usual sites, Amazon, Ebay etc. I bought this one on Amazon for a tenner.

20220226_135033.thumb.jpg.e182dbc7d96909afcc24024246327ac7.jpg

20220226_135046.thumb.jpg.55ed208b8dee478992953c3ced5864ac.jpg

At 50mm wide, it will fit into the WO jaws but just about. There is only about half a turn available on the clamp though so this won't do.

20220226_135324.thumb.jpg.1a5ff5fabe71fc9339b60b85e35d2fc8.jpg

I made some slight mods to the wedge. The guide bolts and the clamp bolt are M6 at 40mm long. I ordered some 45mm cap head bolts from Ebay for a few quid and I have a 50mm M6 bolt laying around in the shed. The guide bolt is held into the side clamp with some loctite but with a few nuts and a couple of spanners it comes free.

20220226_135618.thumb.jpg.e94b3104f168154d9848302b833ddd25.jpg

I chopped the head off the spare 50mm bolt with a hacksaw to make it 45mm and put it into the side clamp.

20220226_140703.thumb.jpg.12bcd4fa692e4c594a4d3e7803d465c8.jpg

With all assembled again there is now much  more clearance and more thread available when clamped tight. Can also still clamp up a standard vixen plate as well.

20220226_141233.thumb.jpg.f90e780c4ec9462810d221473f960eac.jpg

20220226_141323.thumb.jpg.036d4e7e1e8a3f435f8150a0168c7ce1.jpg20220226_141550.thumb.jpg.461bc0815760fade0c9c922f0e00b6da.jpg20220226_141558.thumb.jpg.82c58b8616e73878a435fd91c546a3fd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OK Apricot said:

Just tried opening the app now, every time I open it, it closes itself in seconds. I went back to the link and downloaded the "experimental version" and it stays open, however it closes itself when I try to turn on location sensor (permissions allowed). I'm using Android 12 on an A52S. 

Can you use another device, I think the issue maybe that it's running android 12, which synscan app has well known issues with anything over android 11

13 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

In case anyone has the WO wedge for setting the AZGTi up in EQ mode but you don't have that small vixen dovetail that comes with a Star Adventurer, you can use a 50mm quick release plate instead. These are available on the usual sites, Amazon, Ebay etc. I bought this one on Amazon for a tenner.

20220226_135033.thumb.jpg.e182dbc7d96909afcc24024246327ac7.jpg

20220226_135046.thumb.jpg.55ed208b8dee478992953c3ced5864ac.jpg

At 50mm wide, it will fit into the WO jaws but just about. There is only about half a turn available on the clamp though so this won't do.

20220226_135324.thumb.jpg.1a5ff5fabe71fc9339b60b85e35d2fc8.jpg

I made some slight mods to the wedge. The guide bolts and the clamp bolt are M6 at 40mm long. I ordered some 45mm cap head bolts from Ebay for a few quid and I have a 50mm M6 bolt laying around in the shed. The guide bolt is held into the side clamp with some loctite but with a few nuts and a couple of spanners it comes free.

20220226_135618.thumb.jpg.e94b3104f168154d9848302b833ddd25.jpg

I chopped the head off the spare 50mm bolt with a hacksaw to make it 45mm and put it into the side clamp.

20220226_140703.thumb.jpg.12bcd4fa692e4c594a4d3e7803d465c8.jpg

With all assembled again there is now much  more clearance and more thread available when clamped tight. Can also still clamp up a standard vixen plate as well.

20220226_141233.thumb.jpg.f90e780c4ec9462810d221473f960eac.jpg

20220226_141323.thumb.jpg.036d4e7e1e8a3f435f8150a0168c7ce1.jpg20220226_141550.thumb.jpg.461bc0815760fade0c9c922f0e00b6da.jpg20220226_141558.thumb.jpg.82c58b8616e73878a435fd91c546a3fd.jpg

Thank you David a fantastic tip indeed. Love the ingenuity and hope it serves you well 👍can I ask with the WO wedge is there a way of adjusting the clutches on it to clamp a bit tighter or am I being thick and they just have a standard tightness as my RA clutch is all the way over tight but still doesn't feel as though it tightens enough, maybe it goes and it's just me. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Thank you David a fantastic tip indeed. Love the ingenuity and hope it serves you well 👍can I ask with the WO wedge is there a way of adjusting the clutches on it to clamp a bit tighter or am I being thick and they just have a standard tightness as my RA clutch is all the way over tight but still doesn't feel as though it tightens enough, maybe it goes and it's just me. 

Do you mean the Alt/Az adjustment levers?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Can you use another device, I think the issue maybe that it's running android 12, which synscan app has well known issues with anything over android 11

Unfortunately not, even the work phone is android 11 (Cat S42). I'll have to get by using the lat/long' coordinates for now, bit of a pain but not a complete turn off. 

Edit: I have downloaded the latest version onto the work phone and the location sensor takes. That's one hurdle down, check back later 👍

Edited by OK Apricot
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

You should be able to lift the lever up and rotate it anti clockwise without loosening the clutch and you can tighten a bit more them.

Brilliant thank you David, gosh I'm so thick! I couldn't find anything on it anywhere 

A few weeks ago I took delivery of one of these nifty little mounts for travel (pending trip to Chile coming up in late March!), and to go on top of my fotomate tripod. And on Wednesday also received an Askar FAM230 scope/lens as well. Despite the "may contain clouds'" warning sticker from FLO last night they both had a trial run via a few choice objects (Pliades, Behive, Pinwheel galaxy). I have to say I'm impressed. Took me a day of tinkering Satuday to get it all together (as I wanted to use a spare Rasperry Pi running KStars/INDI) but got there ins the end.

The only query I have so far (albeit with only 1 night of practice!) is around the driver and guiding: there's the usual Eqmod mount driver in INDI, but also what I assumed was the correct Gti driver - but this didn't seem to work so I reverted to the Eqmod one which did work. Hopefully that's right (anyone who images with this rig maybe you have pearls of wisdom here?). The guiding accuracy seemed rather hit and miss (5-20"+) but then again I expect I am testing the capacity of the mount here (CCD, filterwheel, counterweight) plus any innacuracies in my quick/rough polar align. I wonder if there are any tricks other users have found for getting decent guiding performance in terms of mount settings etc.? (caveat - it was a raher exposed/windy roof location so I was not expecting miracles for a first time run!).

Anyway, overall very pleased with the setup very portable, decent price. Just need some more practice now. Clear skies all.

Phil

Edited by AstroPhil
typo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AstroPhil said:

A few weeks ago I took delivery of one of these nifty little mounts for travel (pending trip to Chile coming up in late March!), and to go on top of my fotomate tripod. And on Wednesday also received an Askar FAM230 scope/lens as well. Despite the "may contain clouds'" warning sticker from FLO last night they both had a trial run via a few choice objects (Pliades, Behive, Pinwheel galaxy). I have to say I'm impressed. Took me a day of tinkering Satuday to get it all together (as I wanted to use a spare Rasperry Pi running KStars/INDI) but got there ins the end.

The only query I have so far (albeit with only 1 night of practice!) is around the driver and guiding: there's the usual Eqmod mount driver in INDI, but also what I assumed was the correct Gti driver - but this didn't seem to work so I reverted to the Eqmod one which did work. Hopefully that's right (anyone who images with this rig maybe you have pearls of wisdom here?). The guiding accuracy seemed rather hit and miss (5-20"+) but then again I expect I am testing the capacity of the mount here (CCD, filterwheel, counterweight) plus any innacuracies in my quick/rough polar align. I wonder if there are any tricks other users have found for getting decent guiding performance in terms of mount settings etc.? (caveat - it was a raher exposed/windy roof location so I was not expecting miracles for a first time run!).

Anyway, overall very pleased with the setup very portable, decent price. Just need some more practice now. Clear skies all.

Phil

I use the EQMOD mount driver option and it works fine in Ekos

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AstroPhil said:

Phil

Really pleased you've got vthis mount now, it's a beauty. Regarding your poor guiding, I suspect the poor PA and windy position wouldn't of helped you in your guide rate. I use my set up in EQ mode via an asiair pro so can't be of much use with the raspberry pi and I'll get around 0.5-1.5 guiding on a good night. Could you send a picture of your set up. 

Cheers 

Lee 

• Like 1

It was windy last night and I was getting 7-12 typical average guiding, it was awful and couldn't really image anything. So I tried m45 pleiades at 10s subs which just about worked. Any other target other than m42 Orion nebula in such conditions I think would be impossible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It is a beauty indeed. I'm glad I kept mine despite waivering for months. The AZGTI saw use today for the first time since last July. Solar observing using a Skymax 127, filter and solar finder. The 24mm Altair UFF presents a solar disc with room to spare. I had a good look at the latest sun spots.

1960490559_IMG_20220227_1404411562.thumb.jpg.63d99fab5bde66da46cbadcc2d269880.jpg

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 4

So last night was slightly better - a couple objects were actually in the eyepiece but still somewhat hit and miss. Must be on the right track 🤔 I think it's about as good as its going to get without using an illuminated reticle eyepiece for more accuracy? When manually centring I'm using slew speed 5 - I could probably slow that down to be more accurate and make sure the up/right movements are actually taking up the backlash? I'm not sure how much more level I can get it according to the bubble level - there's a lot of room for error. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OK Apricot said:

So last night was slightly better - a couple objects were actually in the eyepiece but still somewhat hit and miss. Must be on the right track 🤔 I think it's about as good as its going to get without using an illuminated reticle eyepiece for more accuracy? When manually centring I'm using slew speed 5 - I could probably slow that down to be more accurate and make sure the up/right movements are actually taking up the backlash? I'm not sure how much more level I can get it according to the bubble level - there's a lot of room for error. 

I don't think you can get more levelling accuracy than using a bubble level, some seem to think that the mount is reasonably forgiving in terms of level accuracy.

You could always buy an electronic leveller but I suspect that there would be little discernable difference.

Edited by LaurenceT
  • Like 1