SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

10 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Brief gap in the clouds tonight so first light for my new little GTi. I'm using the handset from my AZEQ6 and after a simple 2 star alignment its got M42 more or less centre of eyepiece. Not bothered with a counterweight and it's absolutely fine. It's been so long since I've used a Synscan handset though, need to learn it all again.

20220214_201802.jpg

So pleased you got out with your scope for a quick test and a working as it should 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Heritage 150P

Do you find it wobbles due to shift of COG? I get it with my 130pds esp on a windy night using my imaging tripod so I had to upgrade it naturally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

Do you find it wobbles due to shift of COG? I get it with my 130pds esp on a windy night using my imaging tripod so I had to upgrade it naturally.

Didn't notice it really at the eyepiece and tried a bit of lunar photography with a spare guide camera and it was pretty stable. It is off centre of balance as when the tube is over 2 legs it doesn't take much effort to push it up off the opposite single leg but it's not on the edge of balance where a slight breeze will push it over. I will be putting a weight on the tripod though to lower that COG for safety.

Edit: Again pointing out that this is a Heritage 150 so half the weight of a normal 150P.

Edited by david_taurus83
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Didn't notice it really at the eyepiece and tried a bit of lunar photography with a spare guide camera and it was pretty stable. It is off centre of balance as when the tube is over 2 legs it doesn't take much effort to push it up off the opposite single leg but it's not on the edge of balance where a slight breeze will push it over. I will be putting a weight on the tripod though to lower that COG for safety.

Edit: Again pointing out that this is a Heritage 150 so half the weight of a normal 150P.

I put a 130m on my gti and that is pushing it.....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

7 hours ago, Ed the Fox said:

I put a 130m on my gti and that is pushing it.....

I was getting excited about changing my 130pds for a 150pds to put on my Az GTI until you pointed out yours is a Heritage.......................................🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy to see this thread thriving!

I have the mount, and I am just in the process of upgrading the clamp to ADM.

1. Does anyone know which size the imperial allen key is required?

2. I plan on updating via Wi-Fi, since it's on stock firmware, not sure if I will benefit from it though, any thoughts?

3. I noticed some of you are using counterweights, is there any particular reason, and would you recommend it. I am usually using it with both of my scopes but I have only been out observing 3 times (with last time being a bust, since AA batteries don't provide the reliability needed - upgrading to Omegon powerbank since I can't seem to order TalentCell to my location).

Cheers!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

2. I plan on updating via Wi-Fi, since it's on stock firmware, not sure if I will benefit from it though, any thoughts?

3. I noticed some of you are using counterweights, is there any particular reason, and would you recommend it. I am usually using it with both of my scopes but I have only been out observing 3 times (with last time being a bust, since AA batteries don't provide the reliability needed - upgrading to Omegon powerbank since I can't seem to order TalentCell to my location).

Cheers!

3/16 allen key worked for me, although a couple of pages back someone said a T30 torx would also work as well.

Some people have issues upgrading over wi-fi (I've done mine over both wi-fi and with a cable). There are two versions of the firmware - if you are not using a wedge then you can upgrade to the 'standard' version 3.36. If you want to use a wedge for astrophotography, then there is the 'experimental' right arm version. Be aware that if you go for the latter version, then you are effectively using the mount backwards, so the telescope position must be on the right instead of the left.

Counterweights are needed for balancing by those using a wedge for astrophotography, although some will also use them to balance a heavier telescope in alt-az mode. I don't do the latter as I use a teeny-tiny scope with mine, so wait for someone who does to give a better explanation of why it may be a good thing for this mount.

• Like 3

Thank you for the reply! I am headed to the shop for the key as I type this :)

Looking forward to getting more information about the counterweight. I am using mainly my Astromaster 130 reflector for visual, so I am guessing (hoping)there is no need for counterweight here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Apprentice said:

Cheers!

1.As Shimrod says a 3/16 inch Allen key will do the job or a torx bit at a push. 

2. If you don't feel you need to update the mount atm then you don't have to, if you discover tiny issues creeping in maybe then, if it was me I'd update the mount. As said before can be done over WiFi (I have done this successfully before) or as I do now update via an eq mod cable but buy from a trusted source as cheaper ones may not work correctly but some users have. 

3. I use 2 x 1kg skywatcher star adventurer counterweights on mine simply because I'm in EQ mode for astrophotography. 

Cheers

Lee 

IMG_20220216_182204.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Shimrod said:

3/16 allen key worked for me, although a couple of pages back someone said a T30 torx would also work as well.

Some people have issues upgrading over wi-fi (I've done mine over both wi-fi and with a cable). There are two versions of the firmware - if you are not using a wedge then you can upgrade to the 'standard' version 3.36. If you want to use a wedge for astrophotography, then there is the 'experimental' right arm version. Be aware that if you go for the latter version, then you are effectively using the mount backwards, so the telescope position must be on the right instead of the left.

Counterweights are needed for balancing by those using a wedge for astrophotography, although some will also use them to balance a heavier telescope in alt-az mode. I don't do the latter as I use a teeny-tiny scope with mine, so wait for someone who does to give a better explanation of why it may be a good thing for this mount.

Yep, it was me and T30 Torx will work, at a push - have used one a few times. Obviously it's not best practice, so caveat lector as they say. 

@Apprentice  Regarding the counterweight in alt-az mode: whilst it is a reasonably sturdy mount for the size, pretty much *any* mount will prefer the centre of gravity being close to the axis, even if that means having a bit more weight to move. Also, if the centre of gravity is closer to the middle of the tripod (which is also the AZ axis of the mount) the whole setup will be more stable. 

All of that said I do not use a counterweight for my tiny ZS73 (3.5kg with accessories) as it is not really needed. Try it out, and if you think it feels unsteady then maybe consider a light counterweight to move the CoG closer to the AZ axis. 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 2

So i picked up a new scope yesterday which i was a bit concerned wouldn't happily sit on the AZ-GTi mount . As it happened i needn't have worried . Its well balanced and the scope is surprisingly light .. a bit too windy last night to try it out ... hopefully tonight i will at least use it for a bit of visual . I've kept my AZ-GTi in alt az mode for now. 

scope1.jpg

scope2.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

So i picked up a new scope yesterday which i was a bit concerned wouldn't happily sit on the AZ-GTi mount . As it happened i needn't have worried . Its well balanced and the scope is surprisingly light .. a bit too windy last night to try it out ... hopefully tonight i will at least use it for a bit of visual . I've kept my AZ-GTi in alt az mode for now. 

scope1.jpg

scope2.jpg

Looks very nice indeed Stu. Definitely be great for the az gti in alt az. Hopefully you'll get first light this week and the bigger aperture be great. Eager to hear how you get on with the scope on az gti 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

reckon it will work ok in EQ mode too , Lee ...when i get round to updating the firmware lol

I'd like to try that too but when adding a camera and in my case a Telrad I'd be at or over the load limit for the mount but heyho🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I'd like to try that too but when adding a camera and in my case a Telrad I'd be at or over the load limit for the mount but heyho🤣

I think the counterweight " z bracket " (see photo 2) for the want of a better term helps , especially as the scope sits directly above the mount , when the scope points to the zenith , as long as the balance is correct it performs admirably . Also a strong tripod makes a lot of difference and , to be honest i probably could get away without the extension tube to make the whole mount even more solid . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I think the counterweight " z bracket " (see photo 2) for the want of a better term helps , especially as the scope sits directly above the mount , when the scope points to the zenith , as long as the balance is correct it performs admirably . Also a strong tripod makes a lot of difference and , to be honest i probably could get away without the extension tube to make the whole mount even more solid . 

Sorry, I misunderstood, I was talking about 130PDS photography in EQ mode. At just over 4Kg it's fine for observing or even lunar/planetary photography in Alt Az mode.

• Like 2

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere in the thread.  What is the practical load limit? I've seen 5 pounds but also 10 kg listed as maximum load.

I'd like to put a 102/700 refractor on an Az-Gti, total weight around 4.5 kg, but I'm thinking that's probably too close to the mount's limit (alt-az).

Thanks!

Edited by jjohnson3803

2 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere in the thread.  What is the practical load limit? I've seen 5 pounds but also 10 kg listed as maximum load.

I'd like to put a 102/700 refractor on an Az-Gti, total weight around 4.5 kg, but I'm thinking that's probably too close to the mount's limit (alt-az).

Thanks!

5kg is the stated load limit. Others will disagree but for optimal performance in the standard alt az mode at least, keep the total load including eyepieces to 5kg or less and stick with shorter telescopes for instance =<102mm f5 refractors and 90/102/127mm Maksutovs. One configuration sold is a 130/650 reflector but that is a very lightweight model with a cheap focuser and fixed abs plastic primary mirror cell.

Your 102mm f7 refractor with finder, diagonal and eyepieces will strain the mount due to the weight+length. However others use the mount like this.

If you read the whole thread and check the pics you will see what works well and what doesn't.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Thanks!

As above, i think the length will be the issue of the 102mm f7 scope rather than the weight . I am using an AZ-Gti with a WO ZS73 , and a 130pds f/5 which is 650mm long . It works very well.

What i do use is a counterweight on the side of the mount , which offsets the weight . ( when in ALt Az mode ) 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Looks very nice indeed Stu. Definitely be great for the az gti in alt az. Hopefully you'll get first light this week and the bigger aperture be great. Eager to hear how you get on with the scope on az gti 👍

So , last night i hastily set up the mount and used the 130pds . Now , i didnt properly level the tripod and only roughly pointed north and only did a one star alignment !! thats three bad marks for me ! 

Have to report that , as you would expect , the goto was a few degrees off but completely manageable . I viewd the favourites ie Orion , Plaides , Hyades... a few doubles , andromeda , Starfish Cluster and the Beehive cluster . The beehive was a lovely sight . I did notice that after centering Beetlguese the star had drifted towards the edge of view ( i left it for about 25minutes for this to happen ) I put this down to my laziness and its a lesson to everyone that preparation is key when using a Goto mount . 

I used just one EP , the 2" 28mm Ep that came with the scope . First i thought collimation was well out but in reality the scope just needed to cool down and stars were pin point . Another point is the extension pier from skywatcher that i used was probably not a good idea . The mount sitting directly on the tripod would certainly give a better centre of gravity and stop any potential unwanted instability although that in itself may bring into play the issue of the scope coming rather close to the tripod legs when pointing near the Zenith .  The 130pds really sits well on the AZ-Gti and i have no problems reccommending this scope . I am going to try it with a dslr at  the weekend , when i have more time . All in all , a very nice hour and a half . 

• Like 4

Good feedback, might try mine later this week. Was out last night too, terrible session due to issues setting up and then target disappeared from view after taking just 7 subs. Then clouds rolled in. And when I started dismantling after waiting a while it was clear again...

Edited by Elp
  • Sad 1