Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

5 hours ago, MonsterMagnet said:

Hi.

I've tried this previously but in this mode the mount doesn't seem to understand commands from the Asiair, nothing happens and the tracking is red.

I'll give it another go though and report back.

MM

Try what he said below!

4 hours ago, Elp said:

I use an EQ dir cable from lynx astro. Mount is set to skywatcher AZGTI. Check your baud rate is set correctly, can't remember off hand what mines set to but I think it's 9600.

6 hours ago, Elp said:

I use an EQ dir cable from lynx astro. Mount is set to skywatcher AZGTI. Check your baud rate is set correctly, can't remember off hand what mines set to but I think it's 9600.

This could be it, I think I've been setting it to Skywatcher EQ Wedge assuming I needed to do that with the AZ GTI in EQ mode but perhaps I don't.

I'll try and let you know.

MM

Took the cover off my azgti as I was planning on serving it.  Found there was skelfs of swarf in it.  Looks like poor cleaning during manufacture.

Does anyone have recommended grease to use in it?

41 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Took the cover off my azgti as I was planning on serving it.  Found there was skelfs of swarf in it.  Looks like poor cleaning during manufacture.

Does anyone have recommended grease to use in it?

Any white lithium grease will do the job much better. 

Lee 

• Like 1

Surprisingly not as bad as I thought working on the azgti.  A wee bit more swarf in it, but not too bad.

Not sure if it was replacing the grease or just adjusting things but it moves on the azimuth a lot better now and a bit better in alt too (although it wasn't bad before).  Perhaps a small amount of play in the altitude, but not major.

• Like 1

Not had my AZ GTi long. I started using the Wi-Fi app but it’s been very patchy so I’ve been playing tonight with a Lynx cable and setting up EQ MOD. I remembered reading about changing the ra and Dec gear numbers for EQMOD under EQ Pre requisites but the baud rate I had to keep at 9600 as at 115000 it wouldn’t connect. Once EQMOD was sorted it was time to get the az-gti and CDC sync’d together. Comic Relief couldn’t have done better. I had the mount On a tripod and had to release the pan lock and spin the mount in the opposing direction a few times. We got there in the end. The test will be under the stars for the first time….

• Like 1

On 28/02/2023 at 09:44, Elp said:

Many Thanks!

This was the solution, unhelpfully there are two mount modes which are selectable for the AZ GTI and which both successfully move the mount.  I was selecting the one which mentioned the EQ Wedge assuming this would be right for the AZ GTI in EQ Mode but you have to select the AZ GTI/Synscan mount mode even when connected using a serial cable.

I did this tonight and everything worked great, return to home was fine and the GoTo's were accurate as was the tracking.

MM 

• Like 3

OK it's early days with my AZ GTi and I'm experimenting with trying to run it via different capture sofware. My favorite capture software is Astroart 8.# as it combines goto-star charts, plate solve, guiding, sequensing etc, etc... but has no native mount driver for the AZ-GTi (unless someone knows differently!).

I've used it with a mix of CdC/EQMOD, SharpCap, PHD2 but it becomes quite a performance working between the different softwares. I've yet to try it with SG Pro or NINA.

If there's someone out there that uses their AZ-GTi via Astroart 8 can you let me know what mount driver you're using please...

Tried scanning the thread, but decided to ask as wrll:

- what is the maximum payload for visual that anyone has successfully managed.

That is excluding the counterweight.

It's my understanding that an addition 1-2kg counterweight helps when we reach the capacity on the sadle side.

I have seen images of people using 102 ed doublet f7 on it, and those vary from 4.2-4.5 kg (the latter for the fpl53 version) for the ota alone. So with diagonal, bino or big eyepiece it seems to work.

I have the beefier sw tripod which has a capacity of 30kg and i installed the adm sadle. So curious if having a counterweight allows me to use a 5-5.5 kg ota+diagonal+ep setup for visual (mostly if it has been done successfully)?

Cheers

Edited by Apprentice
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

Tried scanning the thread, but decided to ask as wrll:

- what is the maximum payload for visual that anyone has successfully managed.

That is excluding the counterweight.

It's my understanding that an addition 1-2kg counterweight helps when we reach the capacity on the sadle side.

I have seen images of people using 102 ed doublet f7 on it, and those vary from 4.2-4.5 kg (the latter for the fpl53 version) for the ota alone. So with diagonal, bino or big eyepiece it seems to work.

I have the beefier sw tripod which has a capacity of 30kg and i installed the adm sadle. So curious if having a counterweight allows me to use a 5-5.5 kg ota+diagonal+ep setup for visual (mostly if it has been done successfully)?

Cheers

Are you using in in az or eq mode? 

I should think it would be ok as you have set up but if it were me I'd install a counterweight bar and weight to it. Hopefully someone whose used that combo on an AzGti will soon be along. I've seen people put a 130pds on the az gti in az mode and put a counterweight on it. 

My imaging set up in EQ mode comes in at around 6kgs. 

Lee

Thanks Lee,

it's strictly AZ mode for me. So figuring a small counterweight will allow me to place 5.2 kg setup on the sadle. If I understood correctly, the counterweight doesn't add to the payload weight  towards capacity. It just helps with balancing of the setup and reducing strain on the gears?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

Are you using in in az or eq mode? 

I should think it would be ok as you have set up but if it were me I'd install a counterweight bar and weight to it. Hopefully someone whose used that combo on an AzGti will soon be along. I've seen people put a 130pds on the az gti in az mode and put a counterweight on it. 

My imaging set up in EQ mode comes in at around 6kgs. 

Lee

I use a 130pds on the azgti.  In alt-az mode I'll admit. Solid as a rock.  I've got a 1kgs counterweight hanging off the other side, but it's not enough to completely balance it, I just figure it helps.  No issues at all for me.

I've had it up to 215x magnification with a 3mm eyepiece and very little wobble to speak off and it tracked well.

Not sure on the weight of it, internet suggests 4kg, but I've got an extra dovetail, some extenders, dew shield, etc. On it so maybe heading toward 5kg.

• Like 1

I certainly used a 130 pds on the AZ-GTi without any issues, ive also had an evostar 120 on it !!!!( although it was only to see if it could carry a long scope ) ... it worked but i would not recomend long scopes on that mount !

The counterweight system does indeed take the strain . 

I also bought a weight arm from TS optics ( Germany ) which sat the scope above the mount , with a counterweight underneath ... it seemed to work fine . 

But , there is a reason why the mount is listed as a 5KG  payload ... I think we all want to believe these little mounts can carry more but if you look at the construction and , lets face it fairly weak motors , reality kicks in . 

• Like 1

Your experience will highly depend on the tripod it's mounted on rather than the mount itself as long as the payload is within the mounts limit. Long focal length and high magnification will also highlight any dampening issues more.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Elp said:

Your experience will highly depend on the tripod it's mounted on rather than the mount itself as long as the payload is within the mounts limit. Long focal length and high magnification will also highlight any dampening issues more.

Well, it will exceed the capacity by 200 grams when I will be using binos :)) calculations place the 107mm f7+ maxbright ii + diagonal + 2x bco 18mm just shy of 5.2kg

The tripod is the beefier SW bought separately. 

5 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

But , there is a reason why the mount is listed as a 5KG  payload ... I think we all want to believe these little mounts can carry more but if you look at the construction and , lets face it fairly weak motors , reality kicks in . 

The thing is, I can hardly justify a major purchase of gear, but I am very excited about upgrading the glass (which is tipping the balance). Only other option is ioptron az mount which is anothe grand and a half if not more.. hoping that the craftsmanship holds for a year or so :)

Edited by Apprentice
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, RayWUK said:

Is it possible to Polar Align the AzGti in EQ mode without the aid of a computer/ASIAIR just using the SynScan app say?

I think there’s a polar alignment routine in eq mode under settings and advanced…

1 hour ago, Apprentice said:

Any experience with dual sadle azgtix

A few weeks in yes, I've been running a 127 Mak + Telrad on one side and a 2inch converted ST80 on the other. 

Nice mount, states 10kg capacity - 6 on one side & I don't know whether its just because its new or it has slightly beefier motors, all seems to run a little smoother than the single AZGTi (which I also own and have used extenstively for the last couple of years).  

• Thanks 1

The 6kg payload seems to be the sweetspot for my intended setup. The secondary sadle would likely hold a counterweight.. 

Have you tried using the extension pillar for the GTi with this mount?

Also what is the tripod like (assuming you bought the bundle)?

Edited by Apprentice

7 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

Have you tried using the extension pillar for the GTi with this mount?

Yes it works perfectly well with the original AZGTi pillar. Its supplied with a shorter one, 60mm. 

7 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

Also what is the tripod like (assuming you bought the bundle)?

Can't comment on this, I bought the mount head only and am running it on a Berlebach 312 Report, with which it pairs well from a stability perspective.  

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Thanks 1

Looking for some advice on this little mount - I’m also considering the AZ-GTI X for a light weight G&G set up for use with either a FC60Q or FC100DZ - can you fit the AMD GTI vixen / losmandy clamp to the GTI X? If not is there another clamp upgrade option? Also if only using 1no scope is a counterweight required? The GTI X looks beefier than the GTI but does it offer better performance when used with just 1 scope?  Any feedback from users appreciated. 

2 hours ago, PatG said:

can you fit the AMD GTI vixen / losmandy clamp to the GTI X? If not is there another clamp upgrade option?  

Not as far as I can see & I bought the ADM clamp intending to do this. The pucks on the GTiX are quite different.  One appears to be a single cast with the shaft that runs through the mount, the other clamps to the shaft.  I’d love to hear from someone who has a way of doing this as the clamp upgrade to my single AZGTi was a much bigger bump in stability & security than I expected. I’m no expert but am not afraid to tinker about but really can’t see a way of making the clamp fit. 
Maybe if enough of us drop a note to the boffins at ADM they will figure out a solution :) 

Edited by SuburbanMak

A question as I thought this would be where to ask. On the base of the mount there are two concave dimples, do these serve any purpose please? I don't see any convex dimples on the top of the extension pillar looking at images.