SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

John - 50k not out!

Stu

Congrats John. Thanks for all the helpful posts over the last year. As well as all the advice, your observing reports are often drivers for me to try new challenges or just even get out there.

Still not sure about the lens-licking though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Work earlier made me forgot to say, a big thank you for all your help and advice via the boards and PM  that you have provided me with John, it has been greatly appreciated over the last couple of years. Always a polite and respectful response however daft some of my questions have felt/been.

There will be a cold one sitting on my dob base coaster for you at the weekend 😁 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pixies said:

Congrats John. Thanks for all the helpful posts over the last year. As well as all the advice, your observing reports are often drivers for me to try new challenges or just even get out there.

Still not sure about the lens-licking though!

Agree with the first paragraph 100%👍..

As regards the "lens licking" though, I think we have Jeremy to blame, er, I mean, thank, for that though..also @MikeDnight too

"But would its mirror make your mouth water and your heart skip a beat? Looking at the lens below, don't you feel the need to lick it, or am I just weird?" - quote by Mike in a thread that "inspired" Jeremy's Pearl of a Thread!!

John is far too sensible to encourage such disgusting habits!!😱😂😂

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ooops, I'd better get my two bob's worth in here before @John passes 60,000! :) 

I remember when I first joined the forum it was John who helped point me in the right direction to choosing my 12 inch Dobsonian as my "forever" scope. I am very glad I did!

Always worth taking note of John's advice and experience and enjoying the enthusiasm he puts into his visual reports. 

His post enthusing about his first sighting of the elusive Horsehead Nebula still sticks in my mind as the most memorable post on this forum to date, riveting stuff!

Many thanks @John! :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if it’s possible to plot @John’s posting rate per month or year. It might be interesting to see if there is a correlation with astronomical events like the solar cycle (though I don’t think he’s a solar observer), planetary oppositions or lunar phases. I do know there is no correlation with novae as these always fade and we are fortunate that John never fades 👍🏻

• Like 1