Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from the Centre of Britain in Northumberland

Vivvyapp

Hello.    I’m a full on newby    I have recently purchased a Celestron 6se.       So I’m here for hints, tips, recommendations  and to generally drive everyone nuts with dumb questions     

• Like 3

Glad to receive your questions dumb or otherwise, just don't expect the same answers 100% of the time, especially where equipment is involved.

I'm not even sure there is such a thing as a dumb question, I've been a amateur astronomer for 51 years and I'm still learning new stuff, some of it  on here.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vivvyapp said:

Hello.    I’m a full on newby    I have recently purchased a Celestron 6se.       So I’m here for hints, tips, recommendations  and to generally drive everyone nuts with dumb questions     

Small world, I used to live in Halty....nice dark sky area...welcome to SGL :thumbsup:

Mark 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, callisto said:

Small world, I used to live in Halty....nice dark sky area...welcome to SGL :thumbsup:

Mark 

Hahahahahaha.  I’m actually Halton Lea Gate   Happily in the sticks.   X

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vivvyapp said:

Hahahahahaha.  I’m actually Halton Lea Gate   Happily in the sticks.   X

Ahh, you are really in the sticks  😉....I used to sample the ware's (a lot) in the Wallace Arms 🍺

Mark

Edited by callisto
change wording
  • Haha 1

Welcome. The forum is such a great resource, I look forward to hearing about your observations with the new scope. Make sure you get over to the Observation->Reports section and get posting!

• Like 1

Hello, and from the 20th colony.

In that it is summer, especially, you'll want to protect the front of your telescope, the corrector-plate or -lens, and with a dew-shield.  For example, I got one for my catadioptric...

1942394201_dewshield7b.jpg.90641e006a42f60d980ae05e404aec82.jpg

It will help to keep bugs, dirt, dust, moisture and pollen away from and off of the glass.  It will also help to prevent stray-light sources, natural(the Moon) and artificial(light from the street, houses, automobiles) from reaching same.  Be certain to get one that's lined with an absorptive material, and enjoy. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 20:36, Alan64 said:

Hello, and from the 20th colony.

In that it is summer, especially, you'll want to protect the front of your telescope, the corrector-plate or -lens, and with a dew-shield.  For example, I got one for my catadioptric...

1942394201_dewshield7b.jpg.90641e006a42f60d980ae05e404aec82.jpg

It will help to keep bugs, dirt, dust, moisture and pollen away from and off of the glass.  It will also help to prevent stray-light sources, natural(the Moon) and artificial(light from the street, houses, automobiles) from reaching same.  Be certain to get one that's lined with an absorptive material, and enjoy. 

Dew shield has just arrived this morning.    I bought the celestron one.! 

On 19/07/2021 at 07:44, Vivvyapp said:

Welcome! You will find that there are no dumb questions here. Tell us a bit more about your 6se. Did it come with just the one eyepiece, the 25mm? Have you started shopping for additional oculars ("eyepieces")?  When do you do most of your viewing? If you have the freedom and opportunity to be out in the early morning, you will find the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn together about 2:00 or 3:00 AM over the coming weekend the 24th and 25th. 

Best Regards,

Mike M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemarotta said:

Welcome! You will find that there are no dumb questions here. Tell us a bit more about your 6se. Did it come with just the one eyepiece, the 25mm? Have you started shopping for additional oculars ("eyepieces")?  When do you do most of your viewing? If you have the freedom and opportunity to be out in the early morning, you will find the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn together about 2:00 or 3:00 AM over the coming weekend the 24th and 25th. 

Best Regards,

Mike M.

Hi Mike.       Yes in starting the whole shopping for eyepieces thing.      I was looking at a Baader zoom and the Baader 2.25 Barlow as I’ve seen a deal if you buy both.    So I’m looking for advice and opinions    And thoughts on zoom vs individual eyepieces.  
I’m something of a night owl.   And have been out at all hrs.    Right up to just after 4am     And will happily go outside when there’s a best time to view something.    

• Like 1

Baader Hyperion Zoom and Barlow are a great buy. Just add a long focal length eyepiece for low power widefield and you may never need to purchase any more eyepieces.

I've tried a few zooms and they are ok but the Baader MkIV is in a different league. Since getting the Baader MkIV Zoom, x2.25 Zoom Barlow and a Baader 36mm Aspheric the rest of my eyepieces have become somewhat redundant. Although I still use my Orthoscopics for Planetary/Lunar viewing.

Edited by Franklin
Addition
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...