Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What???

1 hour ago, Robindonne said:

It was a close race with the other contender.  The astromaster 130eq

I'm surprised the Seben Big Boss didn't get a look in. It comes with accessory that allows you to get reaaallly close to the object you're looking at. No need for long exposures! 

Screenshot_20210621-191654_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2f83f32a1b45dde54ad6550470a7ed10.jpg

Edited by badhex
  • Haha 10

Does anyone think there ought to be a 'telescopes to avoid' pinned thread in the beginners section?

Or perhaps the title should be 'telescopes destined for landfill'.

Then a sub section showing these scopes converted to flower holders, toilet roll holders, etc.

• Like 3

If we started a Telescopes to Avoid thread it would quickly overwhelm the mods ability to deal with it.😁

Copying telescope descriptions for an ad when you don’t speak English does lead to amusing errors, that is if no one actualy buys one. 

As an example look at all the listings for erecting prism diagonals on Amazon etc that are actually for mirror diagonals. Finding one that is actualy a prism is unlikely. 🤬

ADVICE FOR NEWBIES.

If you are thinking of buying a telescope or any kind of astronomical equipment don't even look on Amazon/Ebay and their kind. Stick with proper astronomical equipment suppliers such as the sponsers on this site and many more reputable astro dealers who don't just sell stuff but offer sound advice and excellent service.

• Like 2

Re: the above advice while good advice it should be noted that some reputable astro dealers also sell on Amazon and eBay so it’s OK as long as you buy using these dealers Amazom or eBay shops. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was watching ED TINGS excellent telescope reviews on Youtube the other day and I became annoyed when his videos where being constantly interrupted by advertisments for a super-duper spotting scope built with new technology that only the military where privy to. Fair play to Mr Ting as he reviewed said spotting scope in the next video. Needless to say it was a useless piece of plastic tat!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Re: the above advice while good advice it should be noted that some reputable astro dealers also sell on Amazon and eBay so it’s OK as long as you buy using these dealers Amazom or eBay shops. 

Would agree, Amazon is fine if you have a specific product you are looking for or any of the usual adapters etc and where else can you get hold of a 135mm Sammy.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember, at a time when I knew less about astronomy, buying a Celestron Powerseeker 127 eq on Amazon; I spent 6 months trying to collimate it and get the planetary views expected from it, then gave it away free. Definitely not for astrophotography

Relating to the opening post, I am sure that scope would be ok on a different mount, I like swapping and changing equipment parts around; my Explore Scientific Mak, sits on an Orion mount and tripod, and has a Orion finder bracket on it and an Orion red dot finder.

3 hours ago, xvariablestarx said:

I am sure that scope would be ok on a different mount

But then you are spending over 400 euros to buy a barely acceptable telescope (look at the focuser)? And anyone buying that thing is almost guaranteed to NOT have a selection of mounts to choose from.

11 minutes ago, Ags said:

But then you are spending over 400 euros to buy a barely acceptable telescope (look at the focuser)? And anyone buying that thing is almost guaranteed to NOT have a selection of mounts to choose from.

True, I was more thinking of my tinkering loving self than what a newcomer would need.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xvariablestarx said:

I remember, at a time when I knew less about astronomy, buying a Celestron Powerseeker 127 eq on Amazon; I spent 6 months trying to collimate it and get the planetary views expected from it, then gave it away free. Definitely not for astrophotography

Relating to the opening post, I am sure that scope would be ok on a different mount, I like swapping and changing equipment parts around; my Explore Scientific Mak, sits on an Orion mount and tripod, and has a Orion finder bracket on it and an Orion red dot finder.

Some power seekers were great for lunar photography especially the F8 114 Newtonian

• Like 1