Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Missouri

Maideneer

What's cookin', galactophiles. I am brand new to astronomy and I am starting much later in life.  I was never that kid that had any sort of starter scopes or was ever encouraged to look up and see what's out there but I am discovering my passion for this hobby only beginning this year.

This might sound silly, but I don't really want to go through the process of grabbing a starter scope, playing with that for a while and then progressing to something better, playing with that for a while, and repeating the process over and over.  I kind of want to skip the whole appetizer portion of the meal and go straight to the entrée, I don't really have the time to waste since I'm trying to make up ground I lost from decades ago.  I finally in my life have the financial means to get something really nice so I was looking at the Celestron 9.25 and I intend to make that the only one I ever need.

Advice on where to study up in the meantime would be helpful, since I don't yet have the means of buying the thing because of the current shortages that are frustrating everyone.  Thanks a ton!

Greetings and Welcome

Good luck with your C9.25

Lots of helpful youtube videos out there.

Ed Ting has great videos and I can recommend his channel Especially

He is a long time experienced observer and knows his telescopes

Edited by EntropyTango

Welcome aboard SGL. Good to have you with us.

You could do a lot worse than a 9.25, I have one and love it. More than happy to answer any questions I can about it.

I can understand the desire to get stuck in, but astronomy can certainly test your patience in other ways: weather, getting used to the kit, learning to actually observe rather than just look, long summer days when there's not much darkness around, equipment and user glitches... But it's also a great way to feel closer to, and investigate the universe with your own eyes - and great fun. You'll be able to see tons of objects, but of course they don't look anything like they do in the books.

I'd highly recommend taking the time to learn the constellations and the names of the brighter stars. Learning the territory you're going to be hunting objects in is well worth it. If you can spend time under the stars, even without a scope, you'll get the hand of how things move and change over time.

Welcome to a superb hobby!

Hi and welcome to SGL. I'm a Missourian also, St. Louis area. Agree that  Turn Left  at Orion is a must for beginners. Also Sky Safari is an excellent phone   app  (as many on this great  forum will attest to) Enjoy the journey on this awesome  hobby!

Having grown up in Iowa and worked in St. Louis for a time, I offer my sympathies to you for living in a state of Misery, I mean the state of Missouri. 😉😁

If you've got the money, go big with an Obsession or Webster Dobsonian telescope.

• 3 weeks later...