1565608528_ReflectionNebulositybanner.jpg.5b3647faf258fca0cd9c62694d6e7b71.jpg

Why did you buy an SCT?!

Here's a story for yas. A  SCT was sitting outside with its face to the ground. One of the cats looked at it and said, 'mine' an' marked it 😞 Had to take the lens out and give it a wash ! 🙂 

18 hours ago, SthBohemia said:

Here's a story for yas. A  SCT was sitting outside with its face to the ground. One of the cats looked at it and said, 'mine' an' marked it 😞 Had to take the lens out and give it a wash ! 🙂 

This just reinforces why I love this T-shirt of mine:

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, beka said:

So you can love astronomy and not love CATs???

CATs vs cats.  Nothing against the former (I've got a 127 Mak), and nothing against the latter as long as it's not living in my house or yard. 😉

😁  I bought an 8-inch orange Celestron 30 or 40 years ago because at the time they were stylish and all the rage.    It was a fine scope and I miss that fork mount, but in retrospect I wish I had bought a Unitron refractor.

I bought a 90mm Mak a couple of years ago to complement my fast refractors for lunar viewing.  I more recently bought a 102ED refractor which made the Mak redundant for me.  I'm shipping the Mak to its new owner in a day or so.

When I was a teenager into astronomy in the early 80’s, I had a Fullerscopes 6” Newtonian. But what I really wanted was a Celestron SCT. Back then the Celestron brand was considered upmarket and SCTs were aspirational scopes - at least that’s how I remember I perceived things as a teenager. So naturally when I resurrected my interest in the late 90’s I bought the scope I had always wanted - a Celestron C8 (marketed as the G8 with the non-goto CG5 mount). It has been a really good all round scope over the years, well used and twenty odd years later it is still in good condition as it’s built like a tank and has an enclosed mirror. Other scopes in my arsenal, particularly the 102ED have shown me it’s optical shortcomings in certain areas, especially doubles, but for globulars and faint fuzzies it’s still the best scope in my arsenal, and it’s no slouch on planets and luna on nights of good seeing. Mirror shift is awful and mirror flop means the collimation varies slightly as you move it around the sky but I’d never say it moves out of collimation enough to make an observable difference. But it is very portable and easy to set up. Overall a very easy scope to live with. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

I think I got lucky with my C8, it was a bargain price 2nd hand (bought about 5 years back) and the seller who seemed to know his stuff said that the optics were in his opinion rather good for an SCT.  I took that with a pinch of salt, but when using the scope for the first time and many times after that, I agreed with him.  Some good hard views, although I do wish for more contrast on Jupiter.   GRS and some other reasonably good detail is not a problem however.   Contrast  and sharpness on Lunar is good.  It's my main telescope.

I want to re-iterate that I was lucky with mine...most SCT's do deliver softer views  / less contrast than the other designs.  If I was in the market and didn't want to play the lottery, it would be an APO Frac or Mak on the cards as I do a lot of Lunar observing.  It just so happens that my SCT hasn't really done anything wrong, so I won't be getting rid of it...

• Like 1