Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Filter Storage: How do you store yours ?

John

8 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Wow, that's a filter collection and half!

It is. My collection is much more modest in terms of number because I have not found coloured filters that useful so I don't have those now. I have a neutral density moon filter for outreach sessions and UHC, O-III and H-Beta filters in the 2 inch and 1.25 inch sizes for nebulae enhancement when observing. So just 7 filters. I have a single polarising filter for use with my Herschel Wedge but I keep that in the case with the wedge.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Wow, that's a filter collection and half!

You're right and I'm afraid I don't use half of them but as the set included a Baader Neodymium, Lumicon Oiii, and Baader UHC the price I paid was justified by those three filters alone.

Obviously this case isn't suitable for mixed filter sizes, but I'm sure you could get one of these with suitably sized compartments for 2" filters.

• Like 3

Ditto John. I too went mad on filters but found I was spending more time swapping filters than actually observing. I now have just 5. ND, UHC, OIII, Contrast Booster for the EVO150 f8 and a Solar Continuum for the Herschel. I had a polariser too but found I didn't really need it as well as the SC. Maybe because my Lunt wedge is just the 1.25" version?

• Like 1

I keep filters 4 to a box using the Baader filter boxes which saves a bit of space but it's not easy to use them in the cold/dark without finger-planting a filter by mistake and so usually I put filters in individual boxes like the one on the right to take out into the field.

I have a filter wheel but it is so much hassle changing filters around or in and out of it and it takes up some light path and adds quite a bit of weight to a scope so I don't use it much.

20210105_220501-1.thumb.jpg.6a209c275791a7f2ff6ac14989f2f7b7.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, John said:

It is. My collection is much more modest in terms of number because I have not found coloured filters that useful so I don't have those now. I have a neutral density moon filter for outreach sessions and UHC, O-III and H-Beta filters in the 2 inch and 1.25 inch sizes for nebulae enhancement when observing. So just 7 filters. I have a single polarising filter for use with my Herschel Wedge but I keep that in the case with the wedge.

I probably only use about the same number of filters as you John, the Oiii, UHC, Neodymium and polariser get most use but the Orange and Red filters got a lot of use with Mars recently.

I also keep a single polariser and a Solar Continuum filter with my Herschel Wedge as it's the most convenient place really.

You can get boxes with a smaller number of compartments.

https://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/craft-storage-boxes-c4/compartment-boxes-c37/23-5cm-9-03-organiser-box-with-9-square-compartments-p2353

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the bright ideas folks :thumbright:

I very much concur with @Paz about the difficulties of handling these things in the dark. Most of the eyepieces that I use filters with have large, heavily convex lenses close to the bottom of the barrel too so there is another opportunity there to put a mark where you don't want it when attaching the filter :rolleyes2:

Why do we muck about with this expensive gear with cold hands, in the dark and when we are a bit knackered towards the end of a session ? :icon_scratch:

Answer: because we are astronomy nutcases, thats why ! :grin:

• Haha 2

If you can store your filter bare and vertically, they're fairly easy to grab without worrying about touching the optical surfaces.  As far as attaching them, I generally screw the eyepiece onto the filter so my grip on the filter never changes to minimize the chance of putting a fingerprint on the glass.  I align them by grasping past the filter with fingers so the tips of my fingers guide the eyepiece barrel into position above the filter threads.  I also work slowly and methodically to avoid cross threading anything.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John said:

Yes that is a good feature.

My filters are Lumicon, Astronomik (x3) and a Meade 4000 so 3 different box designs and sizes :rolleyes2:

You can buy empty baader cases John- I keep my 2” filters in them stacked together in my misc items case- very convenient to pull the little drawers up to get the filter out. I keep my 1.25” filters all screwed together inside a plastic ep case i found somewhere that conveniently fits into a slot in my small ep case- very inconvenient but i don’t use them often and keeps them safe.

Mark

61ABE244-DB63-4985-A253-BA470047034F.jpeg

FC8DA14E-9032-4462-975D-84C6E9BE9681.jpeg

A16FD0E1-2115-4A43-B949-FAE089121A98.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, markse68 said:

You can buy empty baader cases John- I keep my 2” filters in them stacked together in my misc items case- very convenient to pull the little drawers up to get the filter out.

Have you found that the Baader cases have loosened up at all over time? I've always found the ones I have quite stiff and needed to push the tab on the rear to release them rather than pull on the little handle on the front. As a result I've moved my Baader filters into more standard "flip lid" filter cases, although I did consider buying extra Baader cases to make a nice unit like you have.

Yeh, the pull and push Baader cases can be awkward in the cold and dark, especially if you obsessively keep the thin foam loose protective cover in play, lining that up to put back in the case can be a nightmare 😫 The Astronomik flip cases are much better 

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

Have you found that the Baader cases have loosened up at all over time? I've always found the ones I have quite stiff and needed to push the tab on the rear to release them rather than pull on the little handle on the front. As a result I've moved my Baader filters into more standard "flip lid" filter cases, although I did consider buying extra Baader cases to make a nice unit like you have.

Hi Ricochet, the hanging tab thing at the back should be cut off so you only have the pull handle at the front- easily done- just bend it back and forth along the drawer edge to weaken it then score carefully with a stanley knife and it comes off cleanly. It’s only there for shop display purposes. Then they come out nice and easy yet close reassuringly snuggly.

1 hour ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Yeh, the pull and push Baader cases can be awkward in the cold and dark, especially if you obsessively keep the thin foam loose protective cover in play, lining that up to put back in the case can be a nightmare 😫 The Astronomik flip cases are much better 

I put both bits of foam at the bottom under the filter so they press the filter against the top of the box- no fiddling with foam- plenty convenient. No need for foam on both sides. The baader cases are also indestructible (virtually) which is nice.

Mark

F0463576-ED82-4480-8115-A3940C21BDA1.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

I bought a few colour filters to use on Mars this autumn/winter. I got a small deep flight case. Only cost £10 on Amazon. It works well for me.

90597D7B-FC85-4C46-A0BB-DCF569CD2874.jpeg

A7F650A7-07C2-43E7-80FD-7CBFBDC3EA1E.jpeg

I like that, do you have a link to that particular case?

Cancel above, found it 

Edited by Jiggy 67

Camera accessories bags such as the Lowepro Nova series, I have one for each of my three scopes, purchased used through ebay. They are purposeful for finder scopes, air blower, perhaps an eyepiece or two, torches, Sky Quality Meter, etc. The padded front zip pockets are handy for storing filters contained in their native plastic boxes. This is often temporary as they are stored slotted within the eyepiece case and it is excessive numbers of eyepieces that are stored externally in a bolt case or inside my refactor case. Here are two pictures of the most compact bag.

Filters 2.JPG

Filters 1.JPG

• Like 1

I've just found a small aluminum eyepiece case a bit like @Jiggy 67's that is empty currently. I'm going to re-design it's interior layout to make it suitable for filters of different sizes and maybe one or two other things.

I'll post the results of the above when I have something to show.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and feedback :smiley:

On 06/01/2021 at 13:35, mikeDnight said:

In line with my philosophy, and of course my nature, SIMPLE works well for me!

355790031_2021-01-0613_46_02.jpg.1407a3dd36013f984f27d62bf690e6dd.jpg

Your're almost there Mike.

I don't have enough astro filters to worry about storage.

But going back to the days of 35mm film, loads of 49 & 55mm filters.

You could get male & female end caps for filters, i think they were called "stackers" or some such. nicely made of anodized aluminium by hoya & similar.

Safe,compact & airtight? storage, with ready access.

No idea if avaiable in astro sizes~ but maybe should be.

Now if i can remember where they are???, i'll post a pic~ don't hold your breath though.😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/01/2021 at 01:38, markse68 said:

Hi Ricochet, the hanging tab thing at the back should be cut off so you only have the pull handle at the front- easily done- just bend it back and forth along the drawer edge to weaken it then score carefully with a stanley knife and it comes off cleanly. It’s only there for shop display purposes. Then they come out nice and easy yet close reassuringly snuggly.

I put both bits of foam at the bottom under the filter so they press the filter against the top of the box- no fiddling with foam- plenty convenient. No need for foam on both sides. The baader cases are also indestructible (virtually) which is nice.

Mark

F0463576-ED82-4480-8115-A3940C21BDA1.jpeg

I recommend you do not store the filter in the case that way.  The glass will contact the foam and get smudged or haze up as the foam outgasses with age.

Store the filters upside down so only aluminum contacts the foam and the glass is not in contact with the foam.

6 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

I recommend you do not store the filter in the case that way.  The glass will contact the foam and get smudged or haze up as the foam outgasses with age.

Store the filters upside down so only aluminum contacts the foam and the glass is not in contact with the foam.

Not sure I get you Don- only aluminium is touching the foam and the foam is PE i think- not the old fashioned stuff that degraded to sticky mess after a few years 🤷‍♂️

Mark

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

Not sure I get you Don- only aluminium is touching the foam and the foam is PE i think- not the old fashioned stuff that degraded to sticky mess after a few years 🤷‍♂️

Mark

On 05/01/2021 at 13:48, AdeKing said:

Mark

The glass is only inset about 1mm from the threaded side of the filter.  When pressed into foam, the glass will make contact with the foam as the aluminum around the glass is compressed into the foam.

On the other side of the filter, the glass is recessed 3-4mm into the aluminum and when that side of the filter housing is pressed into the foam, only aluminum contacts the foam and the glass is still above the foam.