SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Filter Storage: How do you store yours ?

John

I have a number of different deep sky filters in both the 1.25 inch and 2 inch sizes. They are in their plastic boxes but those vary in size depending on the brand. 

In the past I have kept them in my eyepiece cases but they are now full of eyepieces so I'm looking for a better arrangement than the old wooden cigar box that they reside in just now.

So I'm interested to find out how other members store their filter collections. Photos are warmly welcomed :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Some are kept tucked into a pick-n-pluck foam slot in my Doskocil case along the outer edge.  Be sure you're using a high grade of foam that neither crumbles nor becomes gooey over the years.  After 20+ years, no issues so far.

The rest are kept in a Tamrac 5329 filter wallet.  Unfortunately, it has been discontinued.  Two 1.25" filters or one 2" filter will fit in each pocket.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks for the replies so far :thumbright:

I am probably making things more complicated by preferring to keep the filters in their original plastic boxes :rolleyes2:

I do keep mine in their boxes too John, they are expensive items and worth protecting properly I feel. I have them all in a small neoprene pouch in their cases currently but in the past they have had a slot each in an eyepiece case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since most of my filters were purchased used, only a few came with cases.  For instance, I have some vintage Optica b/c filters that were NOS, but were simply packaged in plastic baggies folded over and stapled shut with a cardboard hanger tag for shop display.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

That's OK for £20 filters, but not for £200+ nebula filters.  The plastic comes into contact with the filter, which is bad.

For nebula filters, block out a space in the case for a large eyepiece and you can put 4-12 filters in the case with the eyepieces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Since most of my filters were purchased used, only a few came with cases.  For instance, I have some vintage Optica b/c filters that were NOS, but were simply packaged in plastic baggies folded over and stapled shut with a cardboard hanger tag for shop display.

Individual cases are available from many vendors.  I prefer the type of case Astronomik and TeleVue use because it is easy to open.

I label the sides of the boxes with a label maker so I can tell what they are in the case without pulling them out.

1 minute ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I have also created slots in my eyepiece case but have run out of room so I’m interested in any answers 

How about a separate small plastic case to hold the filters?

I bet you could find such  case for ~£10 or so that could store a lot of filters.

Surprised no one has mentioned this, all my filters are installed in my filter wheel, which is part of my imaging train, which I never take apart and is essentially sealed with a IDAS LPS filter at one end and the camera sensor at the other, assembled in a dehumidified environment.

• Like 1

This thread started by @John really got me looking online (which I’m sure was his intention whilst he settled down to watch Emmerdale !! 😂) and there really isn’t much there for Astro filters, strange as it’s an obvious need.....definitely a gap in the market 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

No no thanks for your input 😀

I'm guessing there is nothing stopping you from putting a filter wheel somewhere in a visual train? Might mean you spend more on filters as needing larger sizes i guess.

Sorry if it sounds stupid, don't even bother with a finder scope these days....

• Like 2

A little off-beat...

For "misc. Use", I decided to standardise on TS filter slides (rather than filter wheels)
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10475_TS-Optics-M48-Filter-Changer---strengthened-Design.htm

Made myself a DIY holder out of thin plywood / square dowel and threaded rod.
The whole fits inside a plastic box... can be expanded if you buy more filters etc. 🥳

Filtholder.JPG.524617a946b9ec5fb7c7f14fb6db96aa.JPG

Since my sawing skills were limited, I assembled the above and ground all
the edges flat with a horizontal sanding disk! (I even varnished the result).
The idea can be used to store/mount... FLAT things (e.g. USB hard drives)! 😛

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, gilesco said:

Oh right... sorry.

Exit stage right...

Thanks for your suggestion though. I didn't make the visual / imaging thing clear in my initial post :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

This thread started by @John really got me looking online (which I’m sure was his intention whilst he settled down to watch Emmerdale !! 😂) and there really isn’t much there for Astro filters, strange as it’s an obvious need.....definitely a gap in the market 

🤣

Some of the photographic filter cases that I've seen look as if they might do the job and are pretty low cost so not much of a risk.

I've not found anything specifically for astro as yet though.

1 hour ago, John said:

Some of the photographic filter cases that I've seen look as if they might do the job and are pretty low cost so not much of a risk.

Yes, I’ve looked at them but they are all a bit big I think 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I like the Baader cases that all clip together, great idea and keeps the filters safe, secure and all to hand.

Yes that is a good feature.

My filters are Lumicon, Astronomik (x3) and a Meade 4000 so 3 different box designs and sizes :rolleyes2: