Narrowband

Filter Storage: How do you store yours ?

John

I use my wife’s ex-make up/fragrance boxes for most of my accessories, including filters. I’m pretty careful with them, lots of desiccant, having just seen the price of 2” Chroma narrowband filters nearly double (!!) in price in recent weeks. Couldn’t believe it when I saw the new prices, just presumed they were a mistake. 

92D542D2-8738-4B27-B108-0477F231952D.jpeg

E661318D-EDDB-490D-8E32-9188ED4E3881.jpeg

Edited by Highburymark

On 05/01/2021 at 22:11, Paz said:

I keep filters 4 to a box using the Baader filter boxes which saves a bit of space but it's not easy to use them in the cold/dark without finger-planting a filter by mistake and so usually I put filters in individual boxes like the one on the right to take out into the field.

I have a filter wheel but it is so much hassle changing filters around or in and out of it and it takes up some light path and adds quite a bit of weight to a scope so I don't use it much.

20210105_220501-1.thumb.jpg.6a209c275791a7f2ff6ac14989f2f7b7.jpg

Nice tip - thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got my down to 4 filters, then have them in my filter slide from Astrocrumb (Roger is AWESOME), and he sells filter slide boxes to fit your filter slide. Of course this is for a DOB setup but not sure if he makes for other type scopes.

Added my slide, all are 2", top is side with long handle on it, top is blank for viewing, then TV The 2 Oiii, TV Type 2 Nebustar, 3rd is Baader contrast booster with IR-Cut, 4th is a moon polarizer-stick its sister on an EP and twist to vary the darkness and light filtering.

198838375_ScreenShot2021-01-19at11_57_56AM.png.ce4a04c97aead1a0d2fc51a3f6318df6.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 3.40.10 PM.png

Edited by stubeeef
Add pick of my slide and box.
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, niallk said:

My O-III and UHC 2" filters are in my EP case

20210122_233527.thumb.jpg.6912ce9b5c8310ad4a2d5237a5993067.jpg

and I keep my 1.25" filters in a cheap but wonderful filter wheel:

20210122_233853.jpg.9f3cecae956442aa6fba7d57ffe6a019.jpg

One of these days I'd like a 2" Astrocrumb filter slide for my 15" dob.

Careful--they're not protected from dew in a slide, whereas they are in a filter wheel.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

Careful--they're not protected from dew in a slide, whereas they are in a filter wheel.

Good point Don 👍 If I do take the plunge, I'll look at knocking together a little dew heater circuit, along the lines of what Astrocrumb offer as an extra.

I used the filter wheel in my 10" when I had it, and found that the convenience of flicking between [no filter / O-III / UHC / neutral density (eg moon) / and i just stuck a green colored filter in the last slot] was really great - really conducive for experimentation at high power on nebs without accidentally losing the target having to screw on/off 😂 I kinda miss this ease of use on my 15", where I don't have enough focus travel to accommodate the filter wheel.  1st World problems, huh?!! 😁

Just a further note of thanks to all who responded in this thread.

I have to confess that my filters are currently in their plastic cases, in an old wooden cigar box while I work out a more sophisticated solution :rolleyes2:

I will come up with something better in due course though, thanks to all the feedback :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...