SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Devon

Nugs

Total newbie here looking to explore the 'dark art' of astrophotography.

I have zero knowledge of astronomy, so I'm sure I'm set for a steep learning curve, but i will embrace the journey.

Nugs

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Nugs said:

I have zero knowledge of astronomy, so I'm sure I'm set for a steep learning curve, but i will embrace the journey.

Welcome from just over the border in Somerset :)

James

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Welcome to the SGL. Ask any questions you may have about the hobby. Have fun with it and enjoy it. I too am in Devon but it's a big county. 

Thanks Nigella, i am hoping that the search function should answer a lot of my newbie questions, although there is nothing better than speaking to someone who has travelled the same journey.

Hello and welcome, you may want to join the Devon and Cornwall club on here, not much activity, but the more that join the less that will be an issue, and we share certain things that we have in common, like this abysmal weather, for instance 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/12/2020 at 21:54, Nugs said:

Nugs

Welcome aboard, I'm in Devon too and just starting out. What part of Devon are you in? The clouds are rather persistent at the moment 🌧 😒

51 minutes ago, ABPhotosUK said:

Welcome aboard, I'm in Devon too and just starting out. What part of Devon are you in? The clouds are rather persistent at the moment 🌧 😒

Thanks....... and living in Tavy', you should be used to persistent cloud. 🤣

Im East Devon, nestled in the Blackdown Hills, on the Devon-Somerset-Dorset border.

1 hour ago, Nugs said:

Thanks....... and living in Tavy', you should be used to persistent cloud. 🤣

Im East Devon, nestled in the Blackdown Hills, on the Devon-Somerset-Dorset border.

Been here 6 years now, the clouds are very familiar 🔔🌧🤪. Looking to move East next year, love the Blackdowns, just need to find the right location for the darkest skies 👍📷🔭

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

A few of us in Devon. Pity the Devon Association of Astronomical Societies doesn't exist anymore. Used to like going to the annual get togethers. 

Hi Nigella, maybe if there's enough of us we can start it up again? Where are you based? I'm just starting AP seriously with existing Canon gear and a CEM70 mount, just need these darn clouds to go away 🌧☁️🤞🤪🔭📷

6 minutes ago, ABPhotosUK said:

Hi Nigella, maybe if there's enough of us we can start it up again? Where are you based? I'm just starting AP seriously with existing Canon gear and a CEM70 mount, just need these darn clouds to go away 🌧☁️🤞🤪🔭📷

I'm in North Devon. Yeah, maybe if enough of us got together. It would be a lovely thing to do again. Even perhaps a Devon Astrofest, lol. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I'm in North Devon. Yeah, maybe if enough of us got together. It would be a lovely thing to do again. Even perhaps a Devon Astrofest, lol. 

OK, we're planning on a move either East or North Devon/Cornwall, depending on what comes up! Do you know any other Devon based members on here? Andy

• Like 1

A good first step is to join the Devon and Cornwall Club on here, I don't think any of us have met up physically - although the weather and COVID-19 restrictions continue to put pay to that.

I wonder that, as FLO are based in Exeter in Devon, whether they would sponsor or help organise some local focused meets... of course, nothing is going to happen until after the pandemic restrictions are more or less lifted, and they already get involved with the community in general through Stargazine, IKI Observatory competition data and so on, so don't know what value would be for a more local focus for them.

• Like 3