NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahashi Epsilon 160ed First Light

Allinthehead

The Epsilon finally arrived on Wednesday after a much anticipated wait, I had a nervous couple of days when DHL delivered the rings but there was no sign of the scope.

This is a new design with a new corrector and a primary mirror holder the same as the 180. Unbelievably it arrived collimated perfectly and rotating the focuser doesn't change collimation, something I never managed to achieve with my previous Epsilons. Setup was very straight forward as the spacing is the same as the 130. I needed to have a bracket made up to allow connection between the tube rings and the dovetail. I went for 10mm aluminium to save on weight. 

When I unboxed I was struck by the size, It's a beast, but is only 2kg heavier than the 130 so still very manageable. 

Thursday night the clouds cleared and I got 2 hours on the Double Cluster in the moonlight. Last night I got a small gap to continue testing but again in the moonlight.

20201202_174048.thumb.jpg.60bbf3b9b452e95ac0159661d68237cb.jpg

20201202_174626.thumb.jpg.f6ddd167387a41c2666c77cedfa49bac.jpg

New blue/black colour and pearl yellow on the tube.

20201202_202706.thumb.jpg.c1728ab9e3c729b54aab4ddea66ea61b.jpg

20201202_190433.thumb.jpg.62dc867d604ba9e697e6b8c81b0fc448.jpg

20201205_171406.thumb.jpg.8f44a26d266ea5d433f168a050f3164e.jpg

2 hours 60 second subs gain 100 with the Asi2600mc

Double_cluster_final-final2.thumb.png.f83bbf065838000cd4a583348cfa232f.png

2 hours 180 second subs gain 100. The colour was poor due to the moon so I decided to post mono.

androm-mod-Stlow_str.thumb.jpg.9b73eda47c0733890107ec0462848d35.jpg

Edited by Allinthehead
  • Like 46

40 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Lovely - I think you are going to enjoy that a lot!!!!! 😉 

Thanks Dave, I think I am too.

19 minutes ago, Kinch said:

We will all be in for some treats when you get going in ernest with it.....🤩

Thanks Brendan, forecast for next week looks good at the moment.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your new scope she looks a beauty,

remarkably you managed to get a few hours under the stars with it,

Mind you by doing so you put the rest of the UK in clouds lol

Hopefully, you will be posting some eye candy with you new scope 

some time soon, fingers crossed.

Very nice first light by the way, keep um coming.

Paul

54 minutes ago, ultranova said:

Congratulations on your new scope she looks a beauty,

remarkably you managed to get a few hours under the stars with it,

Mind you by doing so you put the rest of the UK in clouds lol

Hopefully, you will be posting some eye candy with you new scope 

some time soon, fingers crossed.

Very nice first light by the way, keep um coming.

Paul

Thanks Paul, my apologies for the clouds. I'm actually a little bit jammy when it comes to new gear, usually don't have wait too long for a run out. I recall my 2600mc arrived on a Friday and it was clear that night and the Saturday too.

49 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Amazing Richard. Collimated out of the box 😂🥰 don’t jiggle it around too much. 

Weather has been good the last couple of days.  

Thanks Adam, pretty impressed it's retained collimation on its travels considering the dents on the outer box🤠

43 minutes ago, vineyard said:

That looks like a combination you are going to have a lot of fun with!

Thanks, I'd love to get this to a dark site.

15 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Thinking of getting thumbscrews for my secondary I spend so much time twiddling it, would sell it and buy Epsilon 160 but I'd feel guilty selling the Sharpstar to anyone 😂

Dave

😯 still twiddling that scope? My condolences, I actually enjoy a little tuning but that's another level.

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Wondering why nobody else seems to have them for sale.

Dave

Yes it would be good to see some UK dealers with this scope as it is intriguing as a fast system for the UK (and you want to use filter wheels etc) which a RASA doesn't allow for and is by far cheaper than than OS RH200.  Closest comparator appears to be Vixen R200SS with PH corrector (excusing the other epsilons). 

6 minutes ago, Whirlwind said:

Yes it would be good to see some UK dealers with this scope as it is intriguing as a fast system for the UK (and you want to use filter wheels etc) which a RASA doesn't allow for and is by far cheaper than than OS RH200.  Closest comparator appears to be Vixen R200SS with PH corrector (excusing the other epsilons). 

I'm sure Flo will be able to get these, it's only just available, Takahashi America are showing it as out of stock with a couple of months lead time. 

10 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

I'm sure Flo will be able to get these, it's only just available, Takahashi America are showing it as out of stock with a couple of months lead time. 

With Jan' first looming and no telling what will happen to import taxes or exchange rates I'm pondering on just ordering one from Mr Nawratil if he has one in stock.

Dave

Just now, Davey-T said:

With Jan' first looming and no telling what will happen to import taxes or exchange rates I'm pondering on just ordering one from Mr Nawratil if he has one in stock.

Dave

I would not hesitate, I've bought a nice bit from him, he has even helped me outside of business hours. He's an avid an talented imager too. 

2 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

I would not hesitate, I've bought a nice bit from him, he has even helped me outside of business hours. He's an avid an talented imager too. 

Says stock is "small" ?

Dave

Oh my word those are simply beautiful images, the double cluster left my mouth open, a bit taken by its majesty. No doubt in the near future you will be taking some more stunning images, congrats on the new scope.

I'd like it to be my new desktop background if that's alright?

Edited by Sunshine

Clearly you got yourself a dream scope Richard! The very best of luck with it and the sky - you seem to be in more luck with the latter than the rest of us. And perfectly collimated out of the box, sounds just like a RASA😉

13 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Oh my word those are simply beautiful images, the double cluster left my mouth open, a bit taken by its majesty. No doubt in the near future you will be taking some more stunning images, congrats on the new scope.

I'd like it to be my new desktop background if that's alright?

Thank you, absolutely be my guest.

13 minutes ago, gorann said:

Clearly you got yourself a dream scope Richard! The very best of luck with it and the sky - you seem to be in more luck with the latter than the rest of us. And perfectly collimated out of the box, sounds just like a RASA😉

Thanks Gorann, yes to be truthful I've long lusted after a 180 but was intrigued with the 160 given the spot size and the extender that's coming soon. 800mm will bring some smaller targets in to play for me. You seem very happy with the Rasa and the results speak for themselves, fast scopes are fun.

• Like 1