NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahashi Epsilon 160ed First Light

Allinthehead

6 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/stellamira-universal-losmandy-style-dovetail-bar.html

I had an aluminium plate made to fit the Tak rings then bolted that to the losmandy bar linked above.

Thanks for the info. The custom aluminum plate you had made was actually the bit I was wondering about, because the Tak ring appear to have a unfamiliar hole pattern. So the Astro-Physics 8" rings and D-type plates may work better as they are known to work together.

10 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Yes the mount is outside all year round and is protected by one of these.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telegizmos-telescope-covers/telegizmos-365-scope-cover-for-8-9-fork-mounted-scts.html

It's a great cover but there can be a little moisture on the mount at times. No worse than what you might expect on a humid night.

Dew shield works very well, no need for anything else.

Thanks Richard. Good to know, as I've no room for an obsy, but maybe something like your setup could be within my reach. Cheers!

On 14/05/2021 at 08:58, Xiga said:

Thanks Richard. Good to know, as I've no room for an obsy, but maybe something like your setup could be within my reach. Cheers!

I'm the same, back garden is too small so this was the best option. 

Some pics below.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hello Richard, I finally got the 160ED, the Tak rings and the ADM plate to go with it. All's well so far, but I find the focus knob of the 160ED to very stiff compared to my refractor. I have loosened the focuser locking screw, of course. Is this your experience too? Thanks,

Harry

On 14/09/2021 at 14:46, harrythewho said:

Hello Richard, I finally got the 160ED, the Tak rings and the ADM plate to go with it. All's well so far, but I find the focus knob of the 160ED to very stiff compared to my refractor. I have loosened the focuser locking screw, of course. Is this your experience too? Thanks,

Harry

Hi Harry, congratulations on your new arrival. It is a little stiff in comparison to other scopes but the fact you have highlighted yours as very stiff means it could need a little adjusting. There's a cover with a funny looking screw over the focuser bar, try loosening that a little.

22 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

That double cluster is one of the best I have ever seen.

Very nice of you to say, must get around to adding some Ha to it.