NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show us your set up in action during the day.

Nigella Bryant

Realised that I'm not going to get Pons-Brook or even Jupiter for a while as they both drop behind my roof line just after sunset so I figure I'll be driving to a dark sky site.
As such a practice pack / unload seemed like a good idea and as the rdf and the guide cam needed aligning I decided to head out to somewhere with a decent viewing distance - and there is a very handily placed lighthouse 9 miles away to line up on.
Anyone who knows the Isle Of Man and the TT this is at Mountain Box :)

day_test.jpg

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Another sunny day at the office and it's not an April fool, 😂 

There is something very civilised about astronomy during the day :) 

Jim

• Like 1

Grab and go set up tonight waiting for it to get dark to see comet PB. Going to see if the binoviewers tease any sign of a tail out fingers crossed if skies stay clear. Go my viewing partner out with me too, although she rarely wants to look through the EP! 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_3236.thumb.jpeg.a59fb793e3cf4461c2b23f43d746fdf6.jpeg

• Like 9

Waiting for darkness on Saturday.  Managed a single frame on pons brooks before I lost it behind neighbours house. Moved over to M51 for a couple of hours. 

20240330_185612.thumb.jpg.7c34b242fe64caefdc11cc07423a7276.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I had forgotten what observing was like somehow, especially solar! Quite gusty out there, and the seeing isn’t great but nice to be out. I finally got a chance to use the Vixen GP mount, very good to have simple tracking with minimal setup back in my life 😊.

The mutt has a habit of dropping her ball against the tripod leg so I don’t forget she is there 🤪🤣

IMG_7698.jpeg

IMG_7699.jpeg

IMG_7703.jpeg

IMG_7700.jpeg

IMG_7705.jpeg

IMG_7706.jpeg

• Like 11

After almost two years of illness post covid I am slowly getting back out with the telescope. Starting small and lightweight.  The moon is looking great. 

IMG_2997.jpeg

• Like 10

I got a chance to do some solar this morning, surrounded by loads of people doing a park run.

I'm completely out of practice with the Quark and spent quite a while dialling it in, but eventually I tuned in to a nice little spiky prom on the trailing limb and watched it grow and curl a little before I had to pack up.20240420_090454.thumb.jpg.a9c2225c024524d7648a251ca81bd48f.jpg

• Like 7

On 13/04/2024 at 11:26, John said:

Brass 'n sunshine plus an active photosphere. A nice combination 😁

20240413_110633.jpg.3a923e9b3bfd96bc9ae850f468f6832a.jpg

Gosh, I need a brass telescope one day! Posh mount, too. My dad had some brass telescopes up in the loft, as he collected antiques. I asked him if he'd ever tried doing some stargazing with them. He said to me, "I couldn't think of anything more boring!" I dunno what happened to those scopes. Well this doesn't look like a fast scope. What's the focal ratio? I'm guessing it's not a Coronado! The finish does look up a notch...

Edited by LukeTheNuke
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LukeTheNuke said:

Gosh, I need a brass telescope one day! Posh mount, too. My dad had some brass telescopes up in the loft, as he collected antiques. I asked him if he'd ever tried doing some stargazing with them. He said to me, "I couldn't think of anything more boring!" I dunno what happened to those scopes. Well this doesn't look like a fast scope. What's the focal ratio? I'm guessing it's not a Coronado! The finish does look up a notch...

It's a 3 inch F/16 achromat. The objective is a Carton from Japan. The scope was one of the final batch made by Ernie Elliott of Broadhurst, Clarkson and Fuller at Telescope House in the Farringdon Road, London in 1992. The design has been used for around 250 years I think 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1