Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action during the day.

Nigella Bryant

2 hours ago, Paz said:

Hard as it may be to believe, there is a C8 discreetly hidden somewhere in this picture.

Well, I can see the cat clearly ....... 😁

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 5 weeks later...

Here sketching Venus accompanied by the sounds of the local cricket club playing a match a few meters away. Deliberately sited safely and soundly in the shadow to avoid accidentally pointing at the Sun just 12-degrees away to the Northwest. 

IMG_4160.jpeg.a0ec4696a1d7da548c0ceda75d064043.jpeg

The local cricket club match was a nice soundtrack to this daytime observation.

• Like 7

I recall watching a cricket match many years ago in Bath. A certain Mr Botham hit one ball over the crowd and the perimeter to the sound of smashing glass in a parked car.

So beware if you see any Beefy characters around 😊

• Haha 4

i've seen the same here TBH (hitting a car not breaking a window) - and these guys STILL park their own cars just a few feet from the boundary! Off topic but there's a very pleasant beer festival/cricket week here most summers and i live just a few hundred meters away 🙂

• Like 1

Cricket can certainly be hazardous to the health of a scope. The Baker Street astronomers meet in Regents Park. In the summer we are surrounded by cricket pitches and I have seen more than one ball make it all the way to us (one even landed on the roof of the hub before rolling back down). I tend to play out-out fielder until light stops play to protect my scope since then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can hear Fred Truman's voice now: "Well there's a funny thing Brian - a chap out on the boundary with a telescope of some sort. I wonder what that is all about ???. Anyway back to the action. The bowler is currently Holding, the Batsman's Willey"

😁

Edited by John
  • Haha 7

Hi. 

It's a first time when my 102ED F/11 sits on top of the CGX. I tried to check some new tricks around the Hercules Herschel wedge and the 678MC camera, but clouds covered the sky and it seems an end of the fun. 

IMG_20230809_164010.thumb.jpg.b241078b2f76f7003b9ab6cb544aa13f.jpg

IMG_20230809_163956__01.thumb.jpg.847e99ce68662914b3759bcb17eebe0b.jpg

• Like 8

Does this count? It was technically under ground in the basement but it was daytime at AstroFest. APM actually borrowed my LZOS 180/1260 for their display one year. Just stumbled across the photo while looking for something else.05EA1272-5CB0-4191-95B4-1C83D5C80EDF.thumb.jpeg.8250e5dfb27cea36ef1fd000cfebb979.jpeg

oh and Al Nagler using one his scopes upstairs on the ground floor. Also daytime!

E830D73B-E399-409E-A2A1-4EDA30E5B8CC.thumb.jpeg.2177ce1d8ff9b55ee50cf8b4662b4072.jpeg

Edited by DirkSteele
Typo
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

Does this count? It was technically under ground in the basement but it was daytime at AstroFest. APM actually borrowed by LZOS 180/1260 for their display one year. Just stumbled across the photo while looking for something else.05EA1272-5CB0-4191-95B4-1C83D5C80EDF.thumb.jpeg.8250e5dfb27cea36ef1fd000cfebb979.jpeg

oh and Al Nagler using one his scopes upstairs on the ground floor. Also daytime!

E830D73B-E399-409E-A2A1-4EDA30E5B8CC.thumb.jpeg.2177ce1d8ff9b55ee50cf8b4662b4072.jpeg

Baseball caps are the least appropriate headgear to wear while using a telescope 🤔

Especially indoors.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Baseball caps are the least appropriate headgear to wear while using a telescope 🤔

Especially indoors.

At the very least it ought to be worn backwards !

(plus others can see the TV logo then too 🙂)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Especially indoors.

Ha! Tell me about it.  Last night (yes at night), several baseball cap wearing individuals knocked their hat against the EP as they went for look through the scope on Primrose Hill.  No one from the BBC was wearing a hat though, just headphones to talk to HQ i guess.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DirkSteele said:

Ha! Tell me about it.  Last night (yes at night), several baseball cap wearing individuals knocked their hat against the EP as they went for look through the scope on Primrose Hill.  No one from the BBC was wearing a hat though, just headphones to talk to HQ i guess.

Next time

C6B7160B-3B10-4E85-980B-B1A01E7E460D.jpeg.47893f832a754723e6b6f0d43aeb4725.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is my new setup with the Esprit 120; despite some clear nights recently I'm still waiting for an opportunity to get it into imaging mode but I've had some very pleasing visual sessions.  Spent today raising the observatory floor and putting down some new carpet tiles. Had to race to get it finished against our impending Red weather warning deluge (NE Scotland) !  I'm starting to think that I should have tanked the observatory !  Thankfully, although we get some localised flooding in the garden,  there have been no leaks or water ingress around the observatory itself  - fingers crossed. :) 

Jim 

Obsy 2.jpg

Obsy 1.jpg

Edited by saac
  • Like 16

10 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Solar from a couple of days ago.

😀 I've got two stools in my workshop identical to that, dating from the late 1960s/early 1970s. They were bright orange on top, but now are hidden by many years worth of overspray!

10 hours ago, saac said:

This is my new setup with the Esprit 120; despite some clear nights recently I'm still waiting for an opportunity to get it into imaging mode but I've had some very pleasing visual sessions.  Spent today raising the observatory floor and putting down some new carpet tiles. Had to race to get it finished against our impending Red weather warning deluge (NE Scotland) !  I'm starting to think that I should have tanked the observatory !  Thankfully, although we get some localised flooding in the garden,  there have been no leaks or water ingress around the observatory itself  - fingers crossed. :) 

Jim 

Obsy 2.jpg

Obsy 1.jpg

What a comfortable environment in which to sit and enjoy the view. Brilliant.

• Thanks 1

On 16/06/2023 at 10:35, Franklin said:

More solar viewing today, this time with the 80mm F/11.4 achromatic. The long focal length combined with the solar continuum filter creates images that are very sharp indeed, in fact I see no difference between this and the SD81 regards definition. Easier to pump up the magnification with longer focal length eyepieces as well, today I was using my part collection of Vixen silver-top plossl's (2nd generation), they really do go well with this particular scope.

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4175.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

I have the 10mm and it's a superb eyepiece I would love to get the others. 

• 4 weeks later...