Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action during the day.

Nigella Bryant

I really enjoy scrolling through these threads, but I haven't taken part of one yet! May this one be the first:icon_biggrin:

Here's my Evostar 72ED DS-Pro with a custom 3D-printed solar filter (Baader white light film) in action:
IMG_20200330_182243.thumb.jpg.3b03e665b403f651eb5e81accc74f831.jpg

Another one with my buddy tanning in the background :wink2:

IMG_20190821_174330.thumb.jpg.53e26b88c06d7778e3738104d3ffd441.jpg

I am considering the Lunt 1.25" wedge for my Evostar 72 and Tecnosky 102 refractors since the sun is beginning to show a lot of activity again!

Victor

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Acquired my firs frac last year, been having a great time splitting stars but, wife threatened to split my skull if I buy another scope.

IMG_0848.JPG

You could always say you need a solar filter so you'd get more use out of the scope by using it during the day, lol. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Acquired my firs frac last year, been having a great time splitting stars but, wife threatened to split my skull if I buy another scope.

IMG_0848.JPG

Be careful with that Telrad in the sun. I left mine outside between rare back to back observing nights and half the rings melted off!!!!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Be careful with that Telrad in the sun. I left mine outside between rare back to back observing nights and half the rings melted off!!!!

Paul

Yep, you have to be very careful using night time scopes during the day, especially finder's which are often forgotten. Use solar filters on them or cover them up. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Not quite in action but ready for action, if the sun would only show itself in the morning when I can get onto it.

20201204_192453.jpg

Looking good. During the winter day's I've only a one hour window of opportunity between trees and being to low so it's quite difficult with the weather as well to have that observing opportunity.

Not my scope but this one belonged to the Lowell Observatory. A quick spot of solar H-a observing during our visit there in 2019. I think the scope was a Lunt LS100 - the largest aperture H-a scope that I've looked though :smiley:

P1070579.JPG.1b708d9a98ac954b93026f7f61a63a12.JPG

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, John said:

Not my scope but this one belonged to the Lowell Observatory. A quick spot of solar H-a observing during our visit there in 2019. I think the scope was a Lunt LS100 - the largest aperture H-a scope that I've looked though :smiley:

Lovely, I soooo want a Lunt 100 DS. In my dreams, lol. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, John said:

Hi John, 

The Lowell observatory is needed well worth a visit. My wife and I were in Arizona back in 2008 visiting her sister in Phoenix and a small group of us decided to pay it a visit during a stop in Flagstaff. It was unfortunately closed when we turned up but nonetheless we were given a private tour of the observatory and a short talk about the telescope.  I was really amused when it was pointed out the the telescope lens cover, towering way above us, was in fact a frying pan!

It was a great visit, would have to have been for me to still remember parts of it! 🤔

• Like 4