NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Brand new Esprit 100ED dust/particle issue?

41 minutes ago, FLO said:

When a discussion like this at SGL doesn't identify the retailer I become concerned someone might think it is us. 

I can assure you we are NOT the retailer. We have not supplied the telescope. 

Not one of ours 😇

Steve 

Oh sorry, no. Definitely not one of yours. 

I've spoken a few times with yourselves recently and been very impressed with the help and advice given. 

Currently have an order with you for some accessories but sadly you were all out of stock on this item. 

51 minutes ago, Rich1980 said:

I contacted the retailer who told me "We checked this scope and it’s normal to have these small particles. You will not got one that is particle free. The OTA was checked by us and it passed our standards." 

Yeah that really is poor customer service. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLO said:

When a discussion like this at SGL doesn't identify the retailer I become concerned someone might think it is us. 

Not one of ours 😇

Steve 

Could I be cheeky and ask what your response would be with the situation? 🤔 

Also for future reference, when are you getting stock in again???  

1 hour ago, Rich1980 said:

I contacted the retailer who told me "We checked this scope and it’s normal to have these small particles. You will not got one that is particle free. The OTA was checked by us and it passed our standards." 

Perhaps you may invite the retailer themselves to express their standards on this very forum and enlighten us to the QA process to which this scope 'passed'.

• Like 2

Also for future reference, when are you getting stock in again???  

FLO are a very honourable company who value their customers, i think we all know what their response would be (I dont work there btw)

Edited by dark knight
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FLO said:

Not one of ours 😇

Steve 

He mentioned it wasn't from our favourite Auntie @FLO on the first page of this discussion. 😉

I would assume that what has happened here is that this has been taken out of the case and looked at / displayed etc.  That the stock supply of the telescope is in short supply would suggest this is the last of a stock that hasn't been sent out because of the slight defect.  To an extent by 'jumping the queue' there is some sacrifice on quality compared to waiting but getting a 'perfect' clone.  To some extent this applies to all things, sometimes getting something 'now' requires some 'sacrifice' which in this case is a dusty lens.  

You are of course entitled to a full refund if you don't want the telescope (and to some extent even more so if you bought online).  Nevertheless the dust is unlikely to impact the view but if it affects your enjoyment of the item then you may as well return it, but ultimately have to decide whether you want the telescope today and live with the dust or happy to wait for new batches to arrive with better QC (or haven't been previously handled). 

• Like 1

My second-hand esprit 80 has less dust on it than that..send it straight back even if you need to get a refund and wait for new stock..

Like buying a new car with mud splattered on the side and a fag butt in the ashtray 

Edited by newbie alert
Adjusted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whirlwind said:

I would assume that what has happened here is that this has been taken out of the case and looked at / displayed etc.  That the stock supply of the telescope is in short supply would suggest this is the last of a stock that hasn't been sent out because of the slight defect.  To an extent by 'jumping the queue' there is some sacrifice on quality compared to waiting but getting a 'perfect' clone.  To some extent this applies to all things, sometimes getting something 'now' requires some 'sacrifice' which in this case is a dusty lens.  

You are of course entitled to a full refund if you don't want the telescope (and to some extent even more so if you bought online).  Nevertheless the dust is unlikely to impact the view but if it affects your enjoyment of the item then you may as well return it, but ultimately have to decide whether you want the telescope today and live with the dust or happy to wait for new batches to arrive with better QC (or haven't been previously handled). 

If that was the case, surely the vendor should have:

a) explained the issue and asked the buyer if they were happy to accept it or whether they would prefer to wait until a perfect sample was available

b) discounted the price as it was an open box / ex display item.

As far as I know, the vendor did neither.

• Like 1

I don't get the impression it's been ex display nor suspect the retailer would do that. Looks new, just the dust within the optics. 

I'll have another word with the retailer and see what they say, I'll make my point that I won't be keeping this scope whatever the outcome. 

Appreciate the advice and support, glad it's just not me being too picky and being convinced to accept it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rich1980 said:

Shining a high intensity light into telescope optics is always a frightening experience. The unnaturally bright light and high contrast always reveals 'something'. Even so, I think the amount of dust/specks revealed in your photo is not acceptable for a new telescope. You are right to contact your supplier and ask for a replacement. 

You say your supplier checked the telescope before dispatch (I thought we were the only UK retailer doing that) so perhaps, in their defence, the dust/specks are not visible in normal light? 

Might be a good idea to look at the box address label to see if it was dispatched to you from your supplier or drop-shipped direct to you from the UK distributor. If the latter then your supplier will not have checked the telescope optics. They might have mistaken your telescope for another that was checked. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I wish ES Reid could get his hands on this scope and give an opinion. 🙂

I'm waiting on an Esprit 120 from FLO and ES Reid, it's posts like this that make the (long) wait slightly less agonising, I'm sure I might have been able to shop around and perhaps find something that is in stock from another supplier, but then run the risk of using some supplier who I have had no experience of, who might not be at all helpful, and may eventually blank and ignore me, and be left with something expensively sub-standard !!

• Like 2

Update from retailer, they'll refund if I return it to them and reaffirming that I'll "never get a refractor telescope that is completely free of dust particles". 

(Which I do understand but the level of what's acceptable obviously varies.) 

Scope will be going back shortly for refund then and will look to buy elsewhere. Any chance you can sort me one out then @FLO (also with a flattener and test)? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have an Esprit, and mine arrived (from FLO) considerably cleaner, but not what I'd call pristine.

Some of the particles on your objective look suspiciously like brass from the focusser rack and pinion. Mine was quite poor in that regard and required a fair bit of cleaning up. Not something you should have to do on something this costly. I put up with mine as I enjoy the fiddling and fettling just as much as looking through a telescope!

Any chance you can sort me one out then @FLO (also with a flattener and test)? 

It is unfortunate they didn't offer to replace it because Esprit-100 are currently in very short supply. 

We have a small number of Esprit-100 telescopes arriving next week. You would need to place an order soon to secure one of those. When they are sold the next shipment will arrive mid-late October. 

Unfortunately the next ship with Flatteners for Esprit-100 will not dock before Dec/Jan. 

If you order an Esprit telescope at FLO (any of them) it will include an Es Reid bench test. We no longer offer them without the test. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FLO said:

It is unfortunate they didn't offer to replace it because Esprit-100 are currently in very short supply. 

We have a small number of Esprit-100 telescopes arriving next week. You would need to place an order soon to secure one of those. When they are sold the next shipment will arrive mid-late October. 

Unfortunately the next ship with Flatteners for Esprit-100 will not dock before Dec/Jan. 

If you order an Esprit telescope at FLO (any of them) it will include an Es Reid bench test. We no longer offer them without the test. 

HTH, 

Steve 

I best get this one back quickly and hope its processed quickly. 

Could a deposit be left and remainder paid when the refund has cleared maybe? 

7 minutes ago, Rich1980 said:

I best get this one back quickly and hope its processed quickly. 

Could a deposit be left and remainder paid when the refund has cleared maybe? 

Please email us. Stock is in such short supply during the pandemic. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, FLO said:

Hi Steve,

Is there any particular reasoning behind this? The thread discussing Es Reid's checks seemed to make it clear that the Esprit optics very rarely need adjustment, and that this option was more for 'peace of mind' than anything else (although this thread shows that sometimes there is need for checking!).

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Spongey said:

Hi Steve,

Is there any particular reasoning behind this? The thread discussing Es Reid's checks seemed to make it clear that the Esprit optics very rarely need adjustment, and that this option was more for 'peace of mind' than anything else (although this thread shows that sometimes there is need for checking!).

Cheers

Yes, that seems worrying knowing that every Espirit scope will need a test.... 🤔

With any “maas produced” scope there will be an occasional one that isn’t quite right. Scopes do occasionaly get knocked out of adjustment diring the long trip from China so checking them all is the only way to ensure every one is a good one.