Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brand new Esprit 100ED dust/particle issue?

I have purchased several new SW scopes in my time at all price brackets. What you have received is unacceptable for a new item and it should be returned to them without delay. I am surprised any retailer is quibbling with that. They should arrange return shipping for you.

• Like 2

If it is defective or not satisfactory then they have to pay the cost of returning it. Many retailers will try to charge you for return shipping even though legaly it is their responsibility.

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/your-refund-rights-explained.htm

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

The dust seen on the pic won’t affect performance.  But that’s like saying the obvious problem on the paintwork of a new car won’t affect performance.

It will always bother you as it would most of us.  I’d return it without delay for refund or replacement.

Ed.

Edited by NGC 1502
Correction
  • Like 2

I’ve just looked at the same scope from FLO.  Adding £75 for optical bench test is a very worthwhile decision to take.

If it where me, I’d return the scope, insist on a refund and order from FLO. The stated shipping delay plus extra 7 days for the test is what I’d do to ensure satisfaction from a very desirable refractor.  The bench test by optical expert Es Reid will reveal any problems cosmetic or otherwise.

Ed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rich1980 said:

I'll try and take a look, my plan is to seal it with the flattener to prevent any dust entering the scope going forward. 

I'll try and get it outside to test, although it has been optically tested by the retailer prior to dispatch. 

I'm also not sure if I'll have time to get outside with it before my 14 days are up to return it to the shop if that's what I do.

Anyone else notice the "they optically tested it before shipping"? - so the retailer could well have introduced the dust and doesn't want to take responsibility and is fobbing it off as they all come like that. I'd be even more inclined to return it to them given this, they tested so should have noticed the dust but shipped it like that anyway, not very honourable.

Even my 2003 TAL100RS has no dust on the lens internals after buying it used and driving 120 miles home with it so I'd be very disappointed if a brand new scope arrived in that condition.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rich1980 said:

This is my worry at the moment, is it something skywatcher could sort out? Or do I think about returning it to the retailer in my 14 days of purchase? 

Absolutely you should send it back - ignore the supplier's nonsense about 'they all do that sir' and send it back within the 14 days or whatever the limit is, don't waste good observing time on testing it - those dusty optics are unacceptable!

• Like 1

From the Gov.UK website

“You must offer a refund to customers if they’ve told you within 14 days of receiving their goods that they want to cancel. They have another 14 days to return the goods once they’ve told you.

You must refund the customer within 14 days of receiving the goods back. They do not have to provide a reason.”

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Rich1980 said:

Hi, 

I've just got my new Esprit 100 only to find what seems to be quite a bit of dust/particles within the optics. Seems to be behind the front element? 

I've spoken to the retailer and am advised it's an issue with all of them due to the manufacturing process. I've also messaged skywatcher themselves for their take on it but while awaiting a response I thought I'd see what the opinion was of other owners. 

I get that it could be common given the process involved in making it but for what is a fair old priced bit of kit I wouldn't expect it, especially to the extent it is too. 

So what are peoples thoughts? Any comment or opinion greatly appreciated. 

Rich. 20200831_160037.thumb.jpg.c3171e3fc248fca7972df1f6534e92da.jpg

That is not acceptable - I would return it asap.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rich1980 said:

Hi, 

I've just got my new Esprit 100 only to find what seems to be quite a bit of dust/particles within the optics. Seems to be behind the front element? 

I've spoken to the retailer and am advised it's an issue with all of them due to the manufacturing process. I've also messaged skywatcher themselves for their take on it but while awaiting a response I thought I'd see what the opinion was of other owners. 

I get that it could be common given the process involved in making it but for what is a fair old priced bit of kit I wouldn't expect it, especially to the extent it is too. 

So what are peoples thoughts? Any comment or opinion greatly appreciated. 

Rich. 20200831_160037.thumb.jpg.c3171e3fc248fca7972df1f6534e92da.jpg

Its not just a couple of specs, which you might forgive. Its riddled! If you decided to 'put up and shut up' you may have a hard time moving it on should you decide to sell in the future.

• Like 1

Hi,

I don't think that is acceptable even though a little dust makes no difference to optical performance it would bug the hell out of me! I don't think it is representtive of what to expect from a premium Skywatcher product from a state of the art optical manufacturing facility(so we are told).

regards

Dave

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rich1980 said:

This is my worry at the moment, is it something skywatcher could sort out? Or do I think about returning it to the retailer in my 14 days of purchase? 

Ideally a swapped scope alone would suffice as all else is good and I've spent time to set the finder and rings up to suit my setup. 

I wouldn’t keep it sealed all the time, as any air in there could condense and cause condensation on the inside and lead to mould, use a desiccant cap, made for this, they slot in where an eyepiece would go and keep dust out and also any moisture will be eradicated....👍😀

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DaveGibbons said:

Hi,

I don't think that is acceptable even though a little dust makes no difference to optical performance it would bug the hell out of me! I don't think it is representtive of what to expect from a premium Skywatcher product from a state of the art optical manufacturing facility(so we are told).

regards

Dave

There might have been a spec or two of dust with my Esprit 150, but nothing like this sort of amount.

John 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John said:

Optical Vision Limited (OVL) is the importer for Skywatcher gear but usually you would go back to your retailer as the 1st recourse.

I contacted the retailer who told me "We checked this scope and it’s normal to have these small particles. You will not got one that is particle free. The OTA was checked by us and it passed our standards." 

• Sad 2

49 minutes ago, Rich1980 said:

I contacted the retailer who told me "We checked this scope and it’s normal to have these small particles. You will not got one that is particle free. The OTA was checked by us and it passed our standards." 

My Esprit 150 was virtually particle free.

I've also read reports of Explore Scientific triplets suffering from similar problems, but both of those that I've owned were virtually, if not completely, dust free. 

John 

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 1

When a discussion like this at SGL doesn't identify the retailer I become concerned someone might think it is us. 

I can assure you we are NOT the retailer. We have not supplied the telescope. 

Not one of ours 😇

Steve 

• Like 5

Think it’s time to just tell the retailer that you are exercising your rights under the distance selling act to cancel the sale and have your money refunded and ask them to arrange a collection.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, FLO said:

When a discussion like this at SGL doesn't identify the retailer I become concerned someone might think it is us. 

I can assure you we are NOT the retailer. We have not supplied the telescope. 

Not one of ours 😇

Steve 

Think every one already knows that. You know how to treat your customers the right way. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Rich1980 said:

I would suggest you name and shame in the 'Supplier Reviews' section once it's all sorted. I think it's important that forum members are aware of such potential issues with a supplier.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

I’ve just looked at the same scope from FLO.  Adding £75 for optical bench test is a very worthwhile decision to take.

If it where me, I’d return the scope, insist on a refund and order from FLO. The stated shipping delay plus extra 7 days for the test is what I’d do to ensure satisfaction from a very desirable refractor.  The bench test by optical expert Es Reid will reveal any problems cosmetic or otherwise.

Ed.

I would have if FLO had stock of it, I've heard Oct or even Jan from some suppliers so it was more a first available got the money (regrettably). 

• Like 1