Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NeoWise tagged

bomberbaz

So I can't go out to darker areas as my wife and I are under full lockdown now on medical advice, so had to search for the comet from upstairs back bedroom.

Quick reference to stellarium / Neowise trajectory map and around 11.30 pm I went upstairs and bingo, got it. 

Wasn't brilliant at this time due to still being quite bright with twilight and barely naked eye visible using averted vision.

So I waited a half hour and tried again. It had moved around but still found easily. This was partly due to the fact it was a plain clear naked eye view.

In my 10x30 IS bins it was a wonderful sight with the tail streaming out to the north. 

So glad to get this as was worried it might be below neighbouring rooftops but thank fully it was just a couple of degrees above. Result!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, John said:

Glad you have seen it - it is a wonderful sight :smiley:

Tonight I'm using my 102mm refractor at 17x (40mm SWA eyepiece) and it looks really splendid.

I will have a go with my spotter F4 frac next time. Get a lovely clear image with that and the APM flatfield ep. 

Will have to be through glass though, unless I take my window panes out 😅

Last night had a great view with both naked eye and binoculars. Unfortunately, my portable battery was not charged (I normally use mains power at home) so I didn't photograph. Am set up with camera for tonight. However, I fear cloud will be my enemy, but there is still time over the next couple of weeks. 

So whilst I appreciate that everything moves relative in time,  if I want to see the comet say at a decent hour after sunset, roughly where have I got to look based in Essex in the UK - I was hoping it might show on stellarium on the mobile phone, but I've not had a huge amount of joy in advancing the time whilst being able to still have it as search criteria (novice stellarium user!) - I also tried stellarium online, but again didn't succeed.  I've got binoculars so it's easy enough to have a quick scan to initially find it, but roughly where do I need to look.  My NW to NE is not my best direction - distant town, next door factory lights and 50ft leylandii, but I can go out on the balcony which probably faces due West giving me best part of an 180 degree view.  If it's that good and it's best from the balcony I can always lug the telescope upstairs, but I can't creep about early in the morning here - the rest of the house inhabitants get cross.

1 hour ago, JOC said:

So whilst I appreciate that everything moves relative in time,  if I want to see the comet say at a decent hour after sunset, roughly where have I got to look based in Essex in the UK - I was hoping it might show on stellarium on the mobile phone, but I've not had a huge amount of joy in advancing the time whilst being able to still have it as search criteria (novice stellarium user!) - I also tried stellarium online, but again didn't succeed.  I've got binoculars so it's easy enough to have a quick scan to initially find it, but roughly where do I need to look.  My NW to NE is not my best direction - distant town, next door factory lights and 50ft leylandii, but I can go out on the balcony which probably faces due West giving me best part of an 180 degree view.  If it's that good and it's best from the balcony I can always lug the telescope upstairs, but I can't creep about early in the morning here - the rest of the house inhabitants get cross.

You need to look N by NW at around 15 degrees from the horizon. You should be able to pick it up from around 11 pm and the comet as you may well know is appearing to be travelling downwards. 

It is currently naked eye but best in bins or maybe a fast frac at low magnification and is currently fading as it travels away from the earth.

7 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

You need to look N by NW at around 15 degrees from the horizon. You should be able to pick it up from around 11 pm and the comet as you may well know is appearing to be travelling downwards. 

It is currently naked eye but best in bins or maybe a fast frac at low magnification and is currently fading as it travels away from the earth.

That's excellent Steve, many thanks for providing instructions that I can make sense of - Sorry for all stargazers in Essex, I'm sure the clouds will now descend just because I want to take a look.

17 minutes ago, JOC said:

That's excellent Steve, many thanks for providing instructions that I can make sense of - Sorry for all stargazers in Essex, I'm sure the clouds will now descend just because I want to take a look.

seems you blighted kent too JOC 😛 

Know the feeling tho, here from the upstairs front bedroom there's a chance it should come into view, but v bright LED streetlight glare sure hasn't helped so far. Hopefully it'll be clear one night and will get to see it once it pans toward N...

1 hour ago, JOC said:

Hmmmph................Just been upstairs with a compass - talk about just the blocked view for seeing anything 😞

Just done another look for you based upon chelmsford as the point of viewing. It is rising quickly over the next week and by the 22nd it will be flying through the legs of ursa major at a height of circa 22 degrees. All based upon 11am time.

However it will also have faded by this point from its current mag 2.7 to mag 4. It will fade quickly by the looks. Info take from stellarium btw, I cannot confirm accuracy of the info. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

legs of ursa major at a height of circa 22 degrees

ursa major is a bit more doable - I can often just about see all that above the trees.  Maybe I'll be lucky

Saw it last night! I went into the back garden at 3am and looked in between Ursa major and Auriga only to find the neighbors tree right in the way. All the neighbors cats started meowing so went back inside to the bedroom window and tried again. And there it was, naked eye. Lovely sight. Absolutely huge in the binoculars!

• Like 2

I tried tonight.  The only bank of cloud for 10 miles was sitting in a line just across the whole North/Northwest view and between that and the expected bank of leylandii there wasn't a proverbial chance of seeing the sky let alone a specific comet 😞

Edited by JOC
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JOC said:

I tried tonight.  The only bank of cloud for 10 miles was sitting in a line just across the whole North/Northwest view and between that and the expected bank of leylandii there wasn't a proverbial chance of seeing the sky let alone a specific comet 😞

So annoying! sorry to hear, I know that cloud bank feeling. I’ve just managed to get a whole family hanging out of their top window with bins seeing it for first time. I seriously hope you see it in the next day or three!

M

• Like 1

Got all excited to tonight. I'm lucky enough to have dark skies (apart from an **** neighbour who has no curtains and their lights on 24/7 in an upstairs bedroom, but thankfully to the South). Got it with the naked eye. Got it in binoculars. Went to get the scope out and...one of the mounting hoops has broken off the stand!!!! 😭

(See pics)

As I only spent £45 on this seriously great scope (Skywatcher 130), I risked it with one hoop. It wobbled a bit locating Neowise but wow, it did NOT disappoint!!!!

Just breathtaking with my 30mm & 25mm plössls.

So happy.

Wishing you all luck spotting this beaut!!

Attached also is a pointless wobbly pic taken with my phone at the eyepiece. It's green.

IMG_20200717_235023.jpg

IMG_20200717_235045.jpg

IMG_20200717_225728~2.jpg

• Like 3

Still hiding behind neighbours houses, have to wait a couple more hours by the look of it, would leave the imaging rig and drive somewhere with a better view but camera keeps losing connection so having to keep an eye on it.

Dave

Fairly easy visible here tonight, keep looking out (during ad breaks of Blues Brothers) and it is just above neighbours house roof. Looking brilliant in the 10x30's

I have managed to get several captures on both time lapse and single timer delay on my all in one. Used varying ISO settings so will see if I can bolt together a decent image from the conglomeration of data. 

Steve

• Like 1

Another night of clouds. Some light rain for good measure :rolleyes2:

Glad that others are still getting views of the comet though. Hope it stays bright until Sunday night at least when the forecast is much better here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John said:

Another night of clouds. Some light rain for good measure :rolleyes2:

Glad that others are still getting views of the comet though. Hope it stays bright until Sunday night at least when the forecast is much better here.

It's still a naked eye object John although fading noticeably from last week when I first made this post. 

Actually just had my 20x60 bins on it, however although it was brighter, low cloud had reduced the definition.

• Like 2

Just back home after an unexpected session thanks to the first clear patch today.  The comet was a lot higher this week, a bit fainter than last Saturday but still an easy naked eye object and spectacular in my 50x300 binocular telescope.     🙂

• Like 5

First night out at a pub since lockdown ended! My friend was interested in seeing the comet later, so I went out down to the beach, at midnight as the cloud cleared to try and find it.

Unlike 6 days ago, it was not easy to see with the naked eye, and in 10x50 bins was much less defined than before. The seeing wasn't great, with some high hazy cloud. The comet was positioned nicely, closer to Talitha than Talitha Australis, within the triangle bound with those 2 and another bright star nearby. By then my friend's enthusiasm had waned and he wasn't coming out again.

Anyway, back home and pottering about (and on here). At 01:30 I decided to go back out into the garden to have a quick pan with the bins before bed. Nice and clear straight up, with the summer triangle bright. M13 was visible, as was M31 but that hazy cloud was still around. I found Neowise again. It had obviously moved since I saw it 1:30 hours before. It was now placed directly between all 3 stars making up the triangle.

The ISS was passing overhead when I came back in.

• Like 2