Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi newbie here from Middlesbrough

Pybo

Hello to everyone...

How to start?.. ive just been retired early from Rolls Royce at the ripe old age of 55😋

From being around 6 years old ive been fascinated with astronomy...first 2" refractor at 7, then a Tasco 3" at 8 years old.

The interest has never left me, but ive only been naked eye observing....up until i bought some nice Nikon 10x50  binos.... wow! Absolutely WOW! 

I was up at 3am one night last week to look at the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn.   Absolutely wonderful! 

My first time in seeing 4 Jovian moons and possibly the rings of Saturn..amazing!

Now im spending countless hours on youtube, on here, and reading up on telescopes.... what a massive subject! 

I used to be a part time wedding photographer for 5 years and still have a nikon D3 with a few really nice lenses left.

Soooo...im looking at spending some of my severance money on my rekindled love of the stars.

The skywatcher flextube 10" dobsonian with syncscan is really catching my eye, along with the Esprit ed100 and the eq6 r pro mount.

Visual is going to be my initial plan, but it would rapidly evolve into AP to incorporate my existing FF dslr.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome... 

Ive already read so many brilliant posts on numerous topics on here.. 

Brilliant! I feel 7 again ... well, not quite, but younger lol 

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

Thanks floater... 

Must admit. I did giggle a few times when people have said on other threads, "cloud magnets" and other stuff..

But it TRUE!  Im forever looking up checking the weather...and it seems like its always cloudy n raining🤣

Wish I could retire at 55!

The refractor would, in my opinion, be a much better bet for astrophotography.  Come and join the dark (and stretch the histogram to make it light) side!

• Like 1

Retirement plans came forward by 4 years due to the airline business crisis...so took the option to leave and retire🙂

Now the stars beckon..no more 12hr nightshifts...well actually they will be plenty now lol

I keep going back to the Esprit ed100 .. especially after watching Astrobackyard on YouTube. 

The histogram ref...lol..very good 😉

1 minute ago, Dave Lloyd said:

Hi Dave, welcome. 

Thanks Dave... little bit overwhelmed with all the tech and info on this forum. What a great resource

5 minutes ago, jiberjaber said:

Welcome Dave, is there any dark sky in the Boro? 

Cheers! 

Luckily we have just moved house to the outskirts of southern Boro... 

Our back garden faces directly south and we have an almost unrestricted view from east to west.. i think its as gud as it gets for dark skies up here... we are not overlooked out back so no street lights. Just loads and loads of clouds...

10 minutes ago, Pybo said:

Cheers! 

Luckily we have just moved house to the outskirts of southern Boro... 

Our back garden faces directly south and we have an almost unrestricted view from east to west.. i think its as gud as it gets for dark skies up here... we are not overlooked out back so no street lights. Just loads and loads of clouds...

Southern part of the Boro is the best part (unless it Nunthorpe - there a bit too posh there ;):) )

3 hours ago, Pybo said:

Haha....nor, not Nunthorpe.. 

Acklam, just behind A174 fence

Are you around boro?

Marton originally, Sis lives just up from you near Hall Drive.  I guess you must be in the new houses adjacent to A174?

7 hours ago, jiberjaber said:

Marton originally, Sis lives just up from you near Hall Drive.  I guess you must be in the new houses adjacent to A174?

Weve just moved from Marton crossroads to here last November. 

Yup, the new builds behind the big fence.

Its a lot quieter here..and the sky is far better too.  

• Like 1