Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi, newbie here! I’m hoping to get some advice on some star-gazing binoculars. I’ve read through the forum and I’ve decided to stay away from zoom bino’s because I’m just starting out, and I will eventually look into telescopes and whatnot if I wish to see the skies in more detail! 

So I’ve pretty much settled on something between 8 x 42 and 10 x 50. Please let me know the best ones in this range!!! 

I’ve read some reviews on the Helios Lightquest HR 10x50’s so any advice on those would be great too! I’m open to suggestions but what I’m really hoping to get is a sturdy pair of first binoculars that I can keep around for the long run, and hopefully drag around on many adventures. I’m willing to invest in a tripod as well for focused gazing, although I plant to keep them around my neck for a while so I can get used to them! 

I’m also unsure of how to find a great lightweight tripod so any links would be great! Love the forum so far and I’m excited to start observing the skies!

Happy Stargazing,

thehappypleiades

I have the Helios LightQuest HR 16x80, and they are superb, a distinct step up from the venerable Helios Apollo 15x70 I had, not just in terms of aperture, but also in terms of image quality. I can only assume the 10x50 version will be very good indeed. The other bins I use regularly, but mainly for birding are my Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 bins. Absolutely great, and very comfortable. I got them because Olly had once done a comparison between his Leica Trinovid 8x42 and a pair of Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 bins a guest had brought. Three people compared the bins on astronomical targets, and the results were essentially a tie, with one favouring the Leica, one the Nikon, and one couldn't see a difference. As luck would have it, shortly after I read this review, a local camera store had a BNIB Nikon 10x42 second-hand. I tried it, and fell in love with it. Its colour rendition, detail, and viewing comfort is just great.

• Like 1

Got 8*42 use them for birdwatching and astronomy. Take a look at binoccularsky free emailed newsletter to see what you could be finding with binoculars. Most DSO are a grey smudge whether using binoculars or a telescope just the size of the smudge varies.

I have some Bushnell nature view 8x40 that iv had for years. In fact I think mine are discontinued now. 

But even with 8x the image bounces about in the view when looking up. So unless your going to use a tripod the 10x will be worse i think. 

Iv found the  quality great and they focus to a sharp image what ever i use them for terrestrial or astronomy. 

So my recommendation for carry alls would be 8x40. 

On 15/05/2020 at 00:41, thehappypleiades said:

So I’ve pretty much settled on something between 8 x 42 and 10 x 50. Please let me know the best ones in this range!!!

Probably Swarovski EL, Zeiss Victory SF, and Leica Noctivid, unless you want image-stabilised ones.

I’ve read some reviews on the Helios Lightquest HR 10x50’s so any advice on those would be great too!

Very nice. It's the Kunming United Optics MS range, which is slightly better, and lighter, than the BA8 range (eg Helios Apollo/Orion Resolux). The MS range is variously branded as Omegon Argus/Helios Lightquest/Lunt Magnesium - all pretty similar; some cosmetic differences and they changed the AR coatings at some stage. I have the Lunt Magnesium-branded version of the 10x50, which I use a lot, and I have reviewed the LightQuest one here.

I’ve decided to stay away from zoom bino’s because I’m just starting out

There is no such thing as a decent zoom binocular. The end.

Edited by BinocularSky
  • Like 1