Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Hi, newbie here! I’m hoping to get some advice on some star-gazing binoculars. I’ve read through the forum and I’ve decided to stay away from zoom bino’s because I’m just starting out, and I will eventually look into telescopes and whatnot if I wish to see the skies in more detail! 

So I’ve pretty much settled on something between 8 x 42 and 10 x 50. Please let me know the best ones in this range!!! 

I’ve read some reviews on the Helios Lightquest HR 10x50’s so any advice on those would be great too! I’m open to suggestions but what I’m really hoping to get is a sturdy pair of first binoculars that I can keep around for the long run, and hopefully drag around on many adventures. I’m willing to invest in a tripod as well for focused gazing, although I plant to keep them around my neck for a while so I can get used to them! 

I’m also unsure of how to find a great lightweight tripod so any links would be great! Love the forum so far and I’m excited to start observing the skies!

Happy Stargazing,

thehappypleiades

I have the Helios LightQuest HR 16x80, and they are superb, a distinct step up from the venerable Helios Apollo 15x70 I had, not just in terms of aperture, but also in terms of image quality. I can only assume the 10x50 version will be very good indeed. The other bins I use regularly, but mainly for birding are my Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 bins. Absolutely great, and very comfortable. I got them because Olly had once done a comparison between his Leica Trinovid 8x42 and a pair of Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 bins a guest had brought. Three people compared the bins on astronomical targets, and the results were essentially a tie, with one favouring the Leica, one the Nikon, and one couldn't see a difference. As luck would have it, shortly after I read this review, a local camera store had a BNIB Nikon 10x42 second-hand. I tried it, and fell in love with it. Its colour rendition, detail, and viewing comfort is just great.

• Like 1

Got 8*42 use them for birdwatching and astronomy. Take a look at binoccularsky free emailed newsletter to see what you could be finding with binoculars. Most DSO are a grey smudge whether using binoculars or a telescope just the size of the smudge varies.

Check out FLO (firstlightoptics) for the tripods, they have a decent selection...  The fotomate range are really good...

I have some Bushnell nature view 8x40 that iv had for years. In fact I think mine are discontinued now. 

But even with 8x the image bounces about in the view when looking up. So unless your going to use a tripod the 10x will be worse i think. 

Iv found the  quality great and they focus to a sharp image what ever i use them for terrestrial or astronomy. 

So my recommendation for carry alls would be 8x40. 

On 15/05/2020 at 00:41, thehappypleiades said:

So I’ve pretty much settled on something between 8 x 42 and 10 x 50. Please let me know the best ones in this range!!!

Probably Swarovski EL, Zeiss Victory SF, and Leica Noctivid, unless you want image-stabilised ones.

I’ve read some reviews on the Helios Lightquest HR 10x50’s so any advice on those would be great too!

Very nice. It's the Kunming United Optics MS range, which is slightly better, and lighter, than the BA8 range (eg Helios Apollo/Orion Resolux). The MS range is variously branded as Omegon Argus/Helios Lightquest/Lunt Magnesium - all pretty similar; some cosmetic differences and they changed the AR coatings at some stage. I have the Lunt Magnesium-branded version of the 10x50, which I use a lot, and I have reviewed the LightQuest one here.

I’ve decided to stay away from zoom bino’s because I’m just starting out

There is no such thing as a decent zoom binocular. The end.

Edited by BinocularSky
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By andyrawlins
      Here is a review and then a couple of questions to the forum
      The experience I gained assessing my new Nikon Action EX 10x50s https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/369052-comparison-of-pentax-sp-50-wp-10x50-and-nikon-action-ex-10x50-cf/?tab=comments#comment-4009551 led me to dig out my old Vivitar Series 1 8x25.  I bought these in 1995 for £99, so not an insignificant amount then.  Series 1 was Vivitar's premium range at a time when (I believe) they were well regarded for their optics (now they seem to sell basically children's toy binoculars). Anyway, despite their price/apparent pedigree and excellent build (made in Japan) I never got on with them, finding them very difficult to focus and to keep in focus.  They rarely got used and indeed got superseded for general use by the Inpro 10x50 mentioned in the thread above.

Using what I learned when assessing the Nikon's I decided that the focus problems were down to four things: 1. a small exit pupil, quoted as 3.12mm, so you need to have the eyepieces correctly positioned over each eye; 2. a short eye relief that I estimated to be about 11mm. I found the view (without glasses) to be best with the short (4.5mm) rubber eye cups folded down.  Wearing glasses, it was like looking down a drain pipe with a severely vignetted view; 3. difficulties getting the interpupillary distance right: for some reason the image is significantly brighter when the binoculars are set wider than the correct distance.  However, at this, what would appear to be the correct separation, they will not come completely to focus. When they are brought down to the correct distance (60mm for me)  the image suddenly gets darker but actually focusses well; 4. a very 'low geared' focus wheel and seemingly very short depth of field which necessitates a lot of focus twiddling every time you change view (not for objects at infinity, obviously).  Because of these things, its crucial to get the binoculars correctly positioned over the eyes and to keep them in that position.  Once they are correct the image is actually not bad.  To be specific, the image is almost exactly like it looks with the naked eye: the same colour balance, the same detail and resolution, the same clarity, the same brightness - just a bit bigger.  Its quite uncanny really. In contrast, the Nikons give an almost hyper-real clarity, detail and brightness and as serious wow factor. 
      Compared to the 10x50s they really didn't seem to magnify that much  (I found the objectives to actually be 23mm so 7.4x not 😎 but maybe this is something to do with AFoV. FoV is quoted as 'Wide Field 8.2°'.
      So basically they magnify the image but not the brightness which is fine for daylight use but fairly useless as night.  The big advantage, however, is that whereas the Nikon's are over a kilogram and will only just fit inside my zipped up coat when round my neck, these weigh a third as much (350g) and are a fraction of the size (105x120mm).  They easily fit in my coat pocket.  
      So I think I should give them more of a chance by keeping them in my coat pocket so they are there when I need them (the best binocular is the one you have with you!). 
      On to my question then: does anyone know anything more about these older Vivitars: whether they are actually any good and when and why the company seemed to give up with proper optics?  I can find nothing on the internet.  All I have is the Vivitar brochure from the time (attached) in which the certainly seem to regard themselves as makers of 'proper optics'. 
      I'd also welcome comments on the issues I found and whether my conclusions are correct.  

IMG_20210113_0002.pdf
    • By anyela
      Hello, my eight yeard old child wants to get into astronomy so she asked for a telescope. I have read that binoculars are as good as telescopes. Since I have always wanted to get into astronomy but never found the time, I thought I tag along and buy one that both can use. Can anybody recommend me a telescope that  is good enough for astronomy but can also be used by a small child.
      Thanks
    • By andyrawlins
      Hi All
      After much research, primarily on this site and The Binocular Sky, I got hold of the above binoculars.  I spent ages writing a review specifically for this site of what I found, as a thanks for all the advice I had received.  By the power of idiocy I then managed to post it on Cloudy Nights instead (I had both open in my browser).  Too much Christmas port I guess  
      Anyway, too late to take it down as some have already replied and I guess I shouldn't post the same thing on two sites so here is a link to my review on completely the wrong site   No offence at all to Cloudy Nights but I wrote it with the Stargazers Lounge audience in mind and it may make less sense on a US site.
      Comparison of Pentax SP 50 WP 10x50 and Nikon Action EX 10x50 CF

• By AstroHa
      Hi everyone,
      I’m completely new to Astrophotography and am just in the process of choosing my new rig.

does anyone living locally in Hertfordshire have any recommendations for the best areas with the least light pollution around Hemel Hempstead way? 

I’m thinking Ashridge / Ivanhoe so it gets you high enough so leave the worse of light pollution behind - I tried taking some shots from my back garden and it was just consumed by yellow colour cast 😩 
      Any ideas I would grateful - found a thread on Hertfordshire skies but it favoured towards the east of Hertfordshire whereas I’m more West way. 

thanks all! 
    • By Lewis2020
      Hey everyone !
      Hope your all doing as well as you can be with this pandemic ! Im completely new to this stuff, im looking for some advice on the right telescope kit to buy. I dont want to be spending too much cause like im new and wanting to try it out, just hoping you guys have got some suggestions for telescopes for the value.
      Mainly wanting to look at stars (my stepdad passed away 3 weeks ago and my partner bought a "name a star" for him and would love to see it properly) and im interested in see the planets like the rings and stuff too
      Any help would be very appreciated ! 
      Possibly below £100 the cheaper the better at the minute but dont want it to be so cheap and tacky that i can only see the end of the garden through it lol
      Stay safe everyonr

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.