Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nuts keep falling out of my scope.

22 minutes ago, Geoff Lister said:

A small dab of cyanoacrylate "Super Glue" may do the job if the proper thread-lock is not easily available.

Geoff

Be carefull about using superglue around optics. The vapour given off can stick to glass.and leave a misty film.

BTW CA fuming is a technique used to develop fingerprints on glass.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It might sound a daft suggestion, but I've accomplished a great deal with just pushing a blob of blue-tack over the end of the offending bolt.  Or else, how about one of those spring loaded locking nut washers?

9 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

or even a dab or nail varnish on the end - far better than superglue which might make it real hard to remove when you really want to.

I recently re-glued a secondary baffle to the inside of a skymax corrector plate using a couple of dabs of superglue (I knew what I was doing). I wasn’t satisfied though, and pulled the baffle off again leaving bits of baffle and superglue remaining. A little acetone-work completely restored the area to pristine condition. Acetone completely dissolves superglue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

if you want blue lock tight e bay does it or Halfords , don't use a lot , also if you do need to remove it use a soldering iron to put a little heat to the nut this help the lock tight release so you don't damage the nut or threads

I would have thought the spreader would have wing nuts, 
of course they can fly off too. Which scope have you got, the Skywatchers usually have a spreader running up the long central
mount bolt, with a large knurled threaded  hand wheel to thread on and push the spreader on to the tripod legs.
The spreader has shaped portions that fit neatly onto the legs.
You obviously don't have that kind of telescope. Nuts don't undo themselves without something influencing them,
such as vibration, and even then, they loosen only if they haven't been sufficiently tight.
Ron