Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ed80 and Quark

Steve Clay

Just now, Steve Clay said:

Why is it when you buy new kit that the weather thwarts first light. GRRRRRR

Monday looks better. Fingers crossed.
Got a notification today that my new binoviewers have been dispatched. Unfortunately when they get here the Quark will be on it’s way back 🙁

On the 35nm topic. Can’t say I noticed any degradation of the view when it replaced the UV/IR cut. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Sorry for another thread drift here, but firstly, enjoy the new kit Steve.

My drift is folks talk of Solar Chat,
what is this and where is this please?

I saw it mentioned and googled it. Its a solar observing forum. Looks like its US based.

• Thanks 1

Well haven't gotten to use it all yet. However, taken the opportunity to clag it all together.

Eq 5 tripod with azgti extension. Bottom tapped out to M10.

Solar Quest head (thanks Andrew) bought from here.

Ed 80 with 2 inch diagonal and baader 35nm Ha filter on a 28mm extension as internal ERF. And riding on top is a 33mm plossil Ep.

Power for the quark is from a 12v 7ah battery pack with USB 2ma. Attatched to tripod with synscan handset holder.

Center of gravity establish with string.

All up mass of the scope as attached to the solar quest head is 4.4 Kg which is 0.6 under its stated max which should be fine.

will see if little battery pack is capable of both Quark and solar guest if not then I'll do a little trial on how long it lasts from charged for each individually then get another.

20200523_165505.jpg

15902498284648779767182996018361.jpg

15902498798854948432735777477629.jpg

15902499017544865718390636563258.jpg

Edited by Steve Clay
  • Like 3

Just a quick update.

Out viewing some proms. I'm totally blown away. Experimenting with setting, but all that seems to change is contrast.

The solar quest is simplicity in itself.

One happy camper. Full report later.

• Like 2

Well now taking a break for lunch.

1st session 2:30  the little battery has used 1 out of 5 bars, so should last for 5 hours powering the mount and the quark.

I've found that the 12 oclock setting shows the best surface detail and -3 for proms. 

The solar quest mount kept the proms which were on the NW limb smack in the  center of the FOV throughout. 

EP used is a no name 33mm plossil and works great. Tried my 25mm BST and the view was blown out. Also tried a polarising filter on the 33mm and it teased out a bit more contrast.

Looking like the set-up is a winner. Totally over the moon or should that be sun.

Steve

• Like 2

What’s the view like without power? No proms or detail?

5 hours ago, Steve Clay said:

I've found that the 12 oclock setting shows the best surface detail and -3 for proms. 

I would be happy with that! Great news. 

12 minutes ago, astro_al said:

What’s the view like without power? No proms or detail?

I would be happy with that! Great news. 

It was just a red circle. Same as through a herschel wedge but red. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steve Clay said:

Well now taking a break for lunch.

1st session 2:30  the little battery has used 1 out of 5 bars, so should last for 5 hours powering the mount and the quark.

The solar quest mount kept the proms which were on the NW limb smack in the  center of the FOV throughout. 

EP used is a no name 33mm plossil and works great. Tried my 25mm BST and the view was blown out. Also tried a polarising filter on the 33mm and it teased out a bit more contrast.

Looking like the set-up is a winner. Totally over the moon or should that be sun.

Steve

As someone chimed in when I waxed lyrical about my first light with Quark, prepare for H-alpha madness. Days are long and nights are short, timely purchase.

I'm kinda surprised your prominence-surface spread is 3 clicks...but whatever works! I viewed that GIANT prom today on -5 and it showed the plague region nice, too.

Also, tried it on AYO and not on tracking mount and...hey, it works, magnifications are not really that high. So do not be afraid to put it on manual altaz if necessary. Also, what you will see is that the thinnest cloud can wipe out all detail suddenly. Seeing and transparency is much more important for H-alpha than for white light, IMHO.

• Thanks 1

Brian,

You can use the recent GONG image to give the orientation.

To me it’s much easier to spend a little time looking at your mount and camera alignment and setting the FOV to bring north to the top and East West is verified by the drift in the field.

You can then mark the camera and focuser to allow you to easily repeat the positioning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solar B said:

It was normally around 6 o'clock for surface with a quark I found ?

You can obtain amazing views but they're tiring to use with the given mags.

Brian 

That'll be the reason I nodded off straight after lunch sat in my garden recliner then🤣🤗

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/05/2020 at 17:32, astro_al said:

I did and I got a response from Mark and Alexandra which was appreciated. Both said it was a faulty unit. Sounds like Alexandra had a similar issue but the other way around i.e. not enough heat to bring it on band. Anyway FLO are taking it back and if they agree that it is faulty then will supply a replacement. I purposefully bought from FLO because of their customer service so am confident all will be well. Hopefully get a new one soon.

Anyway, I sort of hijacked this thread a bit so sorry @Steve Clay. I am looking forward to hearing about your first light this weekend.

Reading your post I have exactly the same problem with mine. I contacted Flo a couple of times but did not get an offer to replace. I will contact them again.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't bought anything as yet.  Just doing white light still.  I foolishly didn't pursue Mark's lovely Ha 60mm last week, with me holding out for a 80mm version, or even a 100mm.  Silly me and shows if you snooze, you lose.....