Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ed80 and Quark

Steve Clay

No power could not possibly be better than -5.

-5 and then switching off and having a short time span where it is better than -5 means that -5 setting is too high for that particular Quark and I would ask for replacement. As the etalon cools or heats the view will not be uniform, and as it further cools the fact that there is no heating meansthat you can not control its temp until it rests at the ambient temperature.

My point being, if turning off at -5 results in a fleeting moment of picture being better (less than 1 min) than its -5 setting is too high.

Edited by BGazing

12 minutes ago, BGazing said:

No power could not possibly be better than -5.

I have been starting the session with no power having brought the Quark out from a cool house. I immediately see proms and spicules on the limb as well as a hint of dark mottling on the disk. Today I easily saw what I think is a filament. All without powering the Quark. Yesterday starting without power I could see plage but not when I powered to -5. I am not an experienced solar observer, so maybe there is something at -5 that I am not picking up on, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be much point in powering my Quark. 

Just took the Quark out for 5 minutes to check my sanity. It has been unpowered in the house for 5 hours. I immediately saw spicules on the limb, several proms with a large one at about 1 o'clock, and a bright area on the disk just down from the prom.

• Confused 1

Don't know what to say...if your Quark is on band at your ambient temperature at the moment, it is unusable at any other temperature and you cannot heat it or cool it properly in order to perform. Contact your dealer and/or Daystar.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, astro_al said:

Thanks Dave. Now I am confused. I only see that type of view on +5.

If / when we get out of the present situation you can bring it round here and compare to mine.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

If / when we get out of the present situation you can bring it round here and compare to mine.

Thanks Dave, appreciated. I have nothing to compare it with at all as I don't even have any experience with other Ha kit. I have been enjoying the views but I have no idea if they are typical. Wouldn't really be questioning it if the view was blank with no power and improved at -5. I understand that there is variation between units, but my concern is that its behaviour doesn't really seem typical with anything else I have read online. Anyway, I have contacted FLO to see what they say.

Thanks all.

26 minutes ago, BGazing said:

Don't know what to say...if your Quark is on band at your ambient temperature at the moment, it is unusable at any other temperature and you cannot heat it or cool it properly in order to perform. Contact your dealer and/or Daystar.

Thanks @BGazing

47 minutes ago, astro_al said:

Thanks @BGazing

But just to be clear, what you are describing is most unusual. I would absolutely not expect it to show anything remotely interesting when unpowered for 5 hours. I am completely baffled.

I did and I got a response from Mark and Alexandra which was appreciated. Both said it was a faulty unit. Sounds like Alexandra had a similar issue but the other way around i.e. not enough heat to bring it on band. Anyway FLO are taking it back and if they agree that it is faulty then will supply a replacement. I purposefully bought from FLO because of their customer service so am confident all will be well. Hopefully get a new one soon.

Anyway, I sort of hijacked this thread a bit so sorry @Steve Clay. I am looking forward to hearing about your first light this weekend.

Hey no worries. I've been learning a fair bit from your issues. Its been interesting to understand how ambient temperature can possibly play a part. I've also joined the solar chat. Hopefully get mine going tomorrow. Been cloudy here all day in Falmouth. Really hope you get a good replacement.

• Thanks 1

I too have a quark chromo. It too comes on band very easily but at least it requires some power. I believe it's heat from the sun heating the filter and so it really needs an erf to take a lot of the energy out of the beam before it hits the filter.  

53 minutes ago, skybadger said:

I too have a quark chromo. It too comes on band very easily but at least it requires some power. I believe it's heat from the sun heating the filter and so it really needs an erf to take a lot of the energy out of the beam before it hits the filter.  

I intend on using the badder 35nm ha filter. What do you use?

I am using it on a 76mm scope so according to Daystar it should be OK without even an UV IR cut. I do however use it with 35nm Ha filter so I couldn’t really do much more to reduce the heat other than a front mounted ERF. 

Edited by astro_al
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, skybadger said:

I put a 35nm filter in front of the filter and just got poor viewing (fuzzy details and lower contrast) so I took it off again. So, ultimately, no pre-filtering at all.....

What scope are you using?