Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suggestions for ~24mm 2-inch eyepiece?

JeremyS

I'm looking for one of the above to use in my Takahashi TSA 120. I want wide field, ~82deg. Oh, and perfect optically to take in those wide fields.

Also I want as light weight as possible and not a bulky profile (i.e. not one of those EP's with a shroud/carapace).

The Nagler 22, type 4 looks good. But it's quite dear. Also why is it only type 4, whereas other FL's are on T5 or 6? 

The ES 24mm 82deg is a lot cheaper, actually half the price!, but is it as good optically?

Thoughts?

I had a Meade 5000 24mm UWA which I only sold on due to weight. I personally really like the range. ES did make the same range (Maxvision), but not sure how easy to pick up now.

I'm also lucky enough to own a Meade 5000 WA 20mm. Its a super EP.. rear as hens teeth!.

Best Rob

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks @Rob. I didn't know there was a 26 mm Nagler. It's not on FLO's website.

I think that its been discontinued now, just the 22mm and 31mm in the +20mm range.

I have the ES 82 24mm eyepiece, its quite a nice eyepiece, but quite big and heavy at about 800g, as is also the 22mm Nagler.

Because of the weight issue (my 14in Newtonian, on which my Esprit 150 is piggybacked, is quite balance sensitive), and the convenience of being 1.25in, I now tend to use my 24mm Panoptic more than my ES 82 despite the smaller FOV. 

Although I've not had the chance to compare them, I would imagine the 22mm Nagler will have the edge in performance over 24mm ES 82, as the T6 Naglers do over the 1.25in ES 82 degree eyepieces, but at about twice the price.

John 

Edited by johnturley
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

A quick search reveals one apparently on sale at Widescreen. But it's £579 (reduced from £667)!!

Probably one they still have in stock, I managed to obtain an 11mm T6 Nager from Telescope House during the Tele Vue Sale last December, despite it being no longer listed on Tele Vue's website, mine was actually imported from Bresser in Germany.

John 

P.S. Just looked at the Widescreen Centre's website, and noticed that they are still also listing the 11mm T6. 

Edited by johnturley

I've owned the Nagler T4 22 and the T5 20 - both really nice. The T4 is somewhat larger, a bit heavier and has more eye relief and a larger eye lens. The T5 20 is really compact for a 2 inch eyepiece, a touch sharper (maybe ? - its debatable) than the T4 22 and has 12mm of eye relief and a smaller eye lens.  The 26mm T5 has a great reputation as well but I've not owned one. I still have a T5 31mm (holy hand grenade !).

The T4's T5's and T6's are all current ranges but slightly differing optical designs.

At F/7.5 maybe the ES 24 / 82 would do the trick ?. It will be less expensive than a Tele Vue alternative of course. A little lighter as well I think.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks @Rob. I didn't know there was a 26 mm Nagler. It's not on FLO's website.

There sure is, and it's a superb eyepiece, if you can take the weight it is a very good Dobsonain eyepiece and with a paracorr sharp to the very edge.

Alan

• Like 1

I've been reading a few reports on the ES 24 / 82 and it seems to be the weakest of the ES 82 range. Its not a bad eyepiece by any means but if it was my TSA 120 I'm pretty sure that I would spring for a 22mm T4 Nagler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi  Jeremy,

Alan has already mentioned the Nagler 26mm T5, and I will second his opinion of it. I use mine almost exclusively in my 12" OO dob  for deep sky observing, where it delivers a wide 82 deg AFOV and pin sharp stars, a wonderful eyepiece. They come up for sale occasionally , mine I sourced in France , three years ago I think for £335, and if you can find one  it will become a keeper.

Edited by Saganite
  • Thanks 1

The Nagler 20mm T5 gets my vote. A cracking eyepiece. I use mine in both my refractor and reflector. Pin point stars and great contrast. Nice FOV and sensible size and weight. I understand these are now discontinued. But if you can pick one up used then go for it ,a real "keeper" 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I'm looking for one of the above to use in my Takahashi TSA 120. I want wide field, ~82deg. Oh, and perfect optically to take in those wide fields.

Also I want as light weight as possible and not a bulky profile (i.e. not one of those EP's with a shroud/carapace).

The Nagler 22, type 4 looks good. But it's quite dear. Also why is it only type 4, whereas other FL's are on T5 or 6? 

The ES 24mm 82deg is a lot cheaper, actually half the price!, but is it as good optically?

Thoughts?

The Nagler Type 4s were long eye relief.  Type 5s were to create longer focal lengths.  Type 6s were to create shorter focal lengths and binoviewer compatibility.

No real difference in performance.

The ES eyepiece has more scattered light and unresolved outer field astigmatism, but is pretty good above f/6.

I personally use a 22mm T4 Nagler and I'd recommend it.  It's perhaps THE eyepiece that defines "immersive".  Seriously, it's a special eyepiece.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JeremyS said:

The Nagler 22, type 4 looks good.

If I was going to get a 22mm eyepiece I would drop 1mm and get the 21mm Ethos. The other one that might tick the boxes is the 26mm T5 Nagler. They are heavy eyepieces however.

The TSA120 can make almost any eyepiece look good IMHO :thumbsup:

Mine seems to like the Baader/Zeiss 2" prism diagonal- what a low scatter combination.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoyed my 22mm Nag and still miss it to a degree. Not small, but compared with others like the 21 Ethos it is much more compact. The 21 Ethos is better though if you can stretch to it or the bulk/weight is acceptable. Dropping another 1mm gets you to the APM 20mm 100 degree which is lighter, 677 vs 1020g

Some discussion here:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jetstream said:

If I was going to get a 22mm eyepiece I would drop 1mm and get the 21mm Ethos. The other one that might tick the boxes is the 26mm T5 Nagler. They are heavy eyepieces however.

The TSA120 can make almost any eyepiece look good IMHO :thumbsup:

Mine seems to like the Baader/Zeiss 2" prism diagonal- what a low scatter combination.

I did originally post suggesting the 21mm Ethos but then re-read the requirements regarding weight / bulk so I withdrew that suggestion. Its new price also blows the price of the 26mm Nagler quoted above out of the water somewhat !

Fab eyepiece though. Mine (pre-owned) cost about what 22mm T4 costs new so I was fortunate there.

I know that the APM / LUNT 20mm / 100 is also a very fine eyepiece and a lot less £'s of course.

The slightly odd thing is that I rarely use my Ethos / Nager 31 behemoths with my refractors, even the 130mm triplet. The work excellently with them of course but I seem to find 1.25 inch eyepieces (eg: Delos and XW's) my tools of choice with the fracs, mostly :icon_scratch:

• Like 2