Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suggestions for ~24mm 2-inch eyepiece?

JeremyS

I have the Es 24 82. It’s good but not amazing. The optics are nice and I enjoy the wide field, but it’s very heavy and quite bulky.  I wear glasses when observing and the eye relief is tight because the eyepiece lens is a little recessed into the barrel so I find I’m always right up against the rubber eyecup when observing.  This may not be a problem for you, but I just point it out. If I had the money and was starting again, knowing what I know now, I probably wouldnt buy this eyepiece again.  I haven’t used any of the green and blacks so can’t really comment on them. 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John said:

I seem to find 1.25 inch eyepieces (eg: Delos and XW's) my tools of choice with the fracs, mostly

Me too, with the exception of the 42mm LVW for large nebula observing- the TSA120 is a super, super nebula telescope which will show IFN easily.Inserting a Delos into the focuser gives as close to a zero scatter combination I think is possible, using the prism diag. Actually I must say the Vixen HR's are the least scatter EP's I've seen.Getting down to splitting hairs here.

I wish Televue would make a 25mm Delos.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jetstream said:

If I was going to get a 22mm eyepiece I would drop 1mm and get the 21mm Ethos. The other one that might tick the boxes is the 26mm T5 Nagler. They are heavy eyepieces however.

The TSA120 can make almost any eyepiece look good IMHO :thumbsup:

Mine seems to like the Baader/Zeiss 2" prism diagonal- what a low scatter combination.

Assuming you don't wear glasses.  I just went back to a 22mm Nagler after 10 years with a 21mm Ethos because my astigmatism has gotten bad enough I needed the eye relief.

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Stu said:

I really enjoyed my 22mm Nag and still miss it to a degree. Not small, but compared with others like the 21 Ethos it is much more compact. The 21 Ethos is better though if you can stretch to it or the bulk/weight is acceptable. Dropping another 1mm gets you to the APM 20mm 100 degree which is lighter, 677 vs 1020g

Some discussion here:

I used the 20mm APM XWA for a night to compare it with the 20mm ES 100° and the 21mm Ethos.  To my eye, the ES and APM were nearly identical in performance, but neither had the contrast or sharpness of the 21 Ethos.

Was it a 2.7:1 difference in performance, given the respective prices?  Maybe not.  It just depends on what you can afford, I think, or require.

3 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

Assuming you don't wear glasses.  I just went back to a 22mm Nagler after 10 years with a 21mm Ethos because my astigmatism has gotten back enough I needed the eye relief.

What does astigmatism from the eye look like in the eyepiece Don ?

9 hours ago, jetstream said:

Me too, with the exception of the 42mm LVW for large nebula observing- the TSA120 is a super, super nebula telescope which will show IFN easily.Inserting a Delos into the focuser gives as close to a zero scatter combination I think is possible, using the prism diag. Actually I must say the Vixen HR's are the least scatter EP's I've seen.Getting down to splitting hairs here.

I wish Televue would make a 25mm Delos.

Would you want a 25mm Delos if it was 2" and weighed close to twice what a 17.3mm weighed and cost 50% more?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

What does astigmatism from the eye look like in the eyepiece Don ?

That will vary, John, with the nature of the eye's astigmatism.  For me, stars became small stick men instead of points.  Others see the stars turn into comets, even in the center of the field.  Others see a few spikes that don't correspond to the spider vanes.  But, it is visible in the very center of the field unlike coma.  With my current prescription, I can look at the sky with my glasses on and all the stars as points.  If I take my glasses off, all the stars look WORSE than Venus when Venus is on the horizon.  And faint stars disappear.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

Assuming you don't wear glasses.  I just went back to a 22mm Nagler after 10 years with a 21mm Ethos because my astigmatism has gotten bad enough I needed the eye relief.

Have you not tried the Televue DIOPTRIX Don. I use one now and I love it. Very easy to use too. 

My vote also for the N26T5, I previously had the N22T4, Ethos 21mm and Nagler 31T5 but sold those as the N26T5 did everything I needed in widefield.

I found I never used the extra field of the Ethos and the N31 gave too large an exit pupil in my other scopes.

The N26T5 is a definite keeper....

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 3

On 29/04/2020 at 18:08, Louis D said:

Actually, I want a 25mm ES-92 for under $600.

Looks like Meade did it for you: the 26mm MWA is around 90° and very inexpensive.

Edited by Don Pensack

On 29/04/2020 at 15:30, bomberbaz said:

Have you not tried the Televue DIOPTRIX Don. I use one now and I love it. Very easy to use too. 

Yeah, I have tried them on the Ethos, but noticed 3 things:

1) the eye relief shrinks a lot--to about my eyelashes length

2) the images at the edge seemed more distorted when looking at the edge directly because of the oblique angle through the DioptRx lens

3) it was harder to look at the edge of the field with the DioptRx in place.

In contrast, I have no similar issues with the DioptRx on eyepieces with longer eye relief or narrower fields.  Fortunately, I can still use Ethos eyepieces below 11mm without glasses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Looks like Meade did it for you: the 26mm MWA is around 90° and very inexpensive.

I've been eyeing it.  Given Meade's bankruptcy, I was waiting to see if there's a fire sale at some point.

As has been reported elsewhere, Meade dealers don't have the 26mm, only Meade,  and I'd be afraid they would run out permanently.

On the other hand, it could be they've just arrived.

The thread on the eyepiece:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/701095-meade-26mm-100afov/

Looks like it is not the 100° claimed, also that the eye relief is perhaps less than 20mm.

It looks like there is no Omegon version of it, unlike the other focal lengths.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

So I went for a Nagler T5 20mm and 26mm in the end.

As I said elsewhere, I'm done with the eyepieces now 🙂

I assume you managed to find second hand ones, as far as I'm aware they're no longer available new.

John 

2 minutes ago, johnturley said:

I assume you managed to find second hand ones, as far as I'm aware they're no longer available new.

John 

Yes, that's correct John. There's an N26 listed on Widescreen's website, as was discussed above. But the price tag is huge (of course, for this sort of eyepiece), so I never contacted them to check if they had it in stock.

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Yes, that's correct John. There's an N26 listed on Widescreen's website, as was discussed above. But the price tag is huge (of course, for this sort of eyepiece), so I never contacted them to check if they had it in stock.

I would also be tempted by a 26mm T5 Nagler if I could find a good second hand one at a reasonable price, but like you don't want to pay £579 even if the Widescreen Centre still have one in stock.

John 

• Like 1