SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New TAKAHASHI DZ arrived

New TAKAHASHI DZ arrived!

Back in February I happened to be reading a few comments/partial review about the New Tak DZ, and how it compared to the others in the D series. In a moment of insanity I'd placed an order with Nick atTruTek Astro. I had been totally happy with my FC100DC and posted numerous times on SGL that i would never part with it. Yet, three weeks ago I watched, broken hearted, as my faithful and amazing DC was carried up the garden path by a UPS driver, who had no idea about the precious content inside the box he carried. It was quite genuinely a real wrench on my heart strings, as the DC had won my heart by showing me more than anyother scope I've owned ever did.It was my pal! 😭

I've been in a no-mans-land since the DC left me, and have even resorted at times to using one of those scopes with a mirror at the bottom end, - I forget what they're called!  Anyhow, this morning another UPS van arrived carrying my new refractor. Ill shut up now and show you the pic's, as tedious as they may be. 

(The box pic's are compulsory viewing with any new Takahashi thread!)

IMG_5962.thumb.JPG.89a4061f7248d4d44b73368177127821.JPG

IMG_5963.thumb.JPG.6a3740ae5b4145811f7e1b3bf8114b53.JPG

IMG_5965.thumb.jpg.51386646837ea37776dbbe38c11508f4.jpg

IMG_5970.JPG.00aa6a4e63439bd2155423c205562694.JPG

IMG_5971.thumb.JPG.542bc69d00bd73de764ae329a0e0b809.JPG

Dew shield retracted:

IMG_5973.thumb.JPG.442b32915011d1c1b83b3818f69d2a71.JPG

Dew shield extended:

IMG_5974.thumb.JPG.321ba46377a151670731539d2c2fe6af.JPG

More to follow!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Here's another pic in a prettier setting. 😎

1587985871949_IMG_5975.thumb.jpg.e03f89f3ca107ad137c77607c94c2490.jpg

I had been in correspondence with an astronomer on CN who found he had difficulty getting all his eyepieces to come to focus, but after trying both extremes of focal lengths in my collection, along with my binoviewer, I've had no difficulty at all so far. The rack & pinion focuser is buttery smooth. So much so in fact that I'm having second thoughts about fitting the Tak micro focuser I have. I'll need to try it at high power before I make a final decision on that though.

IMG_5967.thumb.JPG.032bdbec0658a24c2493b11fc6d4e3dd.JPG

IMG_5968.thumb.JPG.4fc80029df8e38d4080c10cace65d7b1.JPGIMG_5966.thumb.JPG.622ebdd878f2d2447b8655c100aa69de.JPG

• Like 10

Lovely. And, my, what a stylish pier you have! 

Olly

PS Personally I find some microfocusers too slow for visual. They stop me getting that 'snap' effect of perfect focus.

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, osbourne one-nil said:

How nervous were you lifting it onto the mount? 

Believe me, after sneaking this one past the wife, fitting it to the mount wasn't nerve racking at all. Thankfully / hopefully / prayerfully she'll never notice the difference. 

• Haha 13

10 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Lovely. And, my, what a stylish pier you have! 

Olly

Thankyou Olly. It came about after the bare steel froze my hands and legs if I leant against it in winter. And the foam cover on the counterweight arm came about after an observing buddy, who wasn't very tall, walked into the end of the arm with his eye socket. There was blood everywhere! 

Don't count on it Mike, I thought the same, but after a few years  of sneaking packages past my wife,  she said one day " BTW I have noticed the changes to your telescopes and bits and pieces,".

Beautiful scope !....Enjoy 

Edited by Saganite
  • Haha 7

Its a picture of perfectness for sure, many a rewarding nights ahead, congratulations Mike..

Although, i do think you need to be honest with yourself, your wife already knows... this is fact and partly my fault, as i accidentally told my wife you were getting a lovely DZ, she's already told her mum and her sister, who have told their best friends and work "sisters", who in turn told their great mates over a glass of soave, one of them told their great aunt, Sylvia, who lives down the road from you at number 23, who told your dear wife when they put bins out last week Thursday....     

Edited by Fozzie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Hi Mike.

After all the praise and quality that you have viewed through your DC over the years, I am shocked that it has departed. I thought this was really a "Scope for Life" . I hope the new DZ is certainly to the same high standards that you have obviously enjoyed. It would of been interesting if you have managed to hold on to the DC for a while for a DC and DZ comparison

Enjoy🔭👍

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, John said:

Where does the objective sit within that apparently long dew shield Mike ?

Is it at the bottom end or somewhat up it like the DL is ?

Hi John.

It's not as long as it looks in reality. The front of the lens cell is only 8cm  down inside the shield, so it may need an Astrozap.  Something I have just found out is that the DZ is binoviewer friendly, so I can use my binoviewer without a GPC or barlow if the mood takes me. 😊

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Hi Mike.

After all the praise and quality that you have viewed through your DC over the years, I am shocked that it has departed. I thought this was really a "Scope for Life" . I hope the new DZ is certainly to the same high standards that you have obviously enjoyed. It would of been interesting if you have managed to hold on to the DC for a while for a DC and DZ comparison

Enjoy🔭👍

I would have loved to hold on to my DC, but finances dictated otherwise. However, I have a friend who lives only a few miles away who owns a DC, so there will be an evening of direct comparisons in future months I'm sure. ☺

• Like 2

And mor pic's...

The essential - idiot stood next to his scope pic'.

410167116_2020-04-2714_34_26.jpg.ba43dd7d265ff7de93ecd3e5c51b3bf1.jpg

I've included the following image only because I don't think I've ever photographed a telescope from quite this angle before. It's of no real significance!

IMG_5984.thumb.jpg.8cdda204f3b50729cc04ca9d627c2b59.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Believe me, after sneaking this one past the wife, fitting it to the mount wasn't nerve racking at all. Thankfully / hopefully / prayerfully she'll never notice the difference. 

My mantra is 'It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission' 👍

It's worked out well, I have so much stuff now cluttering everything up, I just say I sold something else which easily covered the cost of whatever just came through the door, and no one can tell for sure.

PS I am a guy with several of those mirror on the bottom scopes, they are great for really faint DSOs, but am looking at a refractor now for imaging. It won't be as nice as yours however. The Tak is a beauty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So 'she' has arrived
I am shocked that you could reject your older model for a new younger and racey one, shocking 🤣

Wonderful stuff Mike, it's been hard knowing what was happening.
Looks really nice indeed, so await the first light report.

Clearly not only FLO supply clouds with kit!

• Haha 5

Very nice Mike.

One day, I will own a Tak, I had thought that would be a FC100 DC but now you've changed your scope for life, I'm not so sure.

.....but I have plenty of time to decide as it won't be for a decade at least 🤣

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts with keen interest.

Ade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Beautiful instrument!

• Haha 1

Brilliant news, Mike - I'm glad the new Tak has arrived safely. Certainly looks the part.

Looking forward to hearing your first observing reports. Good that you've still got plenty of time to observe Venus.

Hearty congratulations!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

My mantra is 'It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission' 👍

Very sound and the consequences of failure are entirely different. If you beg forgiveness and fail you still have the telescope. 👹

Olly

• Haha 4

Delighted the DZ arrived safely Mike. it's been hard work giving you bereavement counceilling since the DC went out the door!

You're a top-notch observer Mike and you deserve a top-notch telescope.  If anyone can get the best out of it, you can.  I'll look forward to seeing plenty more drawings from you.

I think it looks fabulous.  The longer dew shield makes it look much better as does the more chunky finder.  The only way I think it could be enhanced is if you use your artistic skills to give it a nice SW Black Diamond livery 😀.

I've just got to be careful when I phone you up now. It would be terrible if Chris answered the phone and I forgot myself and asked how you are getting on with your new scope!  😵

Edited by paulastro
  • Haha 3