Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi

Razner

Hi all I'm Ryan and I live just outside of Nottingham. I've been lurking on the site for a few months now and thought it was about time I registered and said hello.

I've always been interested in the stars but have never really taken it further other than a few books etc until the missus brought me a cheap telescope from Amazon for my birthday last year and I've caught the astrophotography bug so this is all her fault :)

Since then I've changed to a Skywatcher Explorer 200P connected to a EQ5 Pro goto mount and using a second hand unmodded Canon 600D which i plan to mod myself. I addition, I'm using Ekos/INDI via Stellarmate running on a RPi 3B+ to control everything which I'm really impressed with so far. I've taken a few shots of M42 and M51 but nothing to write home about as of yet and I'm still getting to grips with the various callibration frames and exposure/iso settings that are needed to get the best out of my images plus the various software options for stacking and processing. There's a lot to learn!

I've also very quickly realised how expensive this could all end up being depending on how much I get into it. I've already started looking at filters, guide scopes and possibly upgrading the mount to a used HEQ5 or EQ6 in order to better support my current scope, but I've made a promise to the missus (and my bank account) to learn the basics first and then see where it goes.

Cheers,

Ryan

9 minutes ago, Razner said:

Hi all I'm Ryan and I live just outside of Nottingham. I've been lurking on the site for a few months now and thought it was about time I registered and said hello.

I've always been interested in the stars but have never really taken it further other than a few books etc until the missus brought me a cheap telescope from Amazon for my birthday last year and I've caught the astrophotography bug so this is all her fault :)

Since then I've changed to a Skywatcher Explorer 200P connected to a EQ5 Pro goto mount and using a second hand unmodded Canon 600D which i plan to mod myself. I addition, I'm using Ekos/INDI via Stellarmate running on a RPi 3B+ to control everything which I'm really impressed with so far. I've taken a few shots of M42 and M51 but nothing to write home about as of yet and I'm still getting to grips with the various callibration frames and exposure/iso settings that are needed to get the best out of my images plus the various software options for stacking and processing. There's a lot to learn!

I've also very quickly realised how expensive this could all end up being depending on how much I get into it. I've already started looking at filters, guide scopes and possibly upgrading the mount to a used HEQ5 or EQ6 in order to better support my current scope, but I've made a promise to the missus (and my bank account) to learn the basics first and then see where it goes.

Cheers,

Ryan

Welcome to the forum! Well done (or commiserations to your bank account) on taking up the hobby (and blaming it on the missus!)

There definitely is a lot to learn, and I have to say I've learned a fair bit of it from SGL. The members are friendly and non-judgemental, and advice is always at hand.

In terms of upgrading, you have the right idea about going slow. I started out with a 200P on an HEQ5 with a Canon 650D, so pretty close to what you have! I've slowly upgraded as I've learned more about the hobby.

All the best!

Hi Ryan and welcome to the forum.

For a start you will soon realise that this hobby can become very expensive, to avoid making too many early mistakes everyone on here will usually recommend the following book to read https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

It will teach you about the hobby in a fairly easy to understand way, you can then decide what sort of astrophotography you would like to do, planetry, nebulas, galaxies etc. then you can tailor your kit towards that.

Good Luck as you have a lot to learn.

Mark

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum and the 'dark arts' or 'bank buster', take it easy and get hold of that book 'Making Every Photon Count' that Mark above recommended, it could be a life-saver.  Clear skies!

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I've taken your advice and picked up a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' from FLO as suggested by a couple of you and I'll have a good read through before purchasing any more kit.

Cheers,
Ryan