NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Simeis 147 redo

MartinB

I posted a rendition of this faint cobwebby supernova remnant some time ago.  It was about 18 hours of Ha and 11 hours OIII using an ASI 1600MM pro camera and a Canon F2.8 lens.  As I tend to do I pumped up the volume and turned out quite a brassy rendition with Ha very much to the fore.

Here's the link

Anyway, I've calmed down and spent days of my life which I won't get back trying to tease out more OIII and calming the Ha a little.  There has been a lot of experimentation aka trial and error, blending and unblending and reblending in PS.  Masks, selective colour etc etc.  I have now come up with the image below which I am happy with....I think!  

The biggest problem I have faced is uneveness in the background which I think is because the very faint 12bit data has simply run out of steam.  

Simeis 147 bicolour 2020.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

I tend not to like images with harsh neon colours but I loved your first rendition of this wonderful target, Martin.

However...

…the redux is truly outstanding.  I appreciate this is all subjective but this is an absolutely perfect rendition in my view.

Wonderful.  Inspiring.  Kudos.

• Like 1

Your image have gone from very good to really outstanding. Impressive how you managed to bring out that extra Oiii in the second image. While many astro images are quite dramatic this one have a nice and calming feeling. I bet watching even lowers my blood pressure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gorann said:

While many astro images are quite dramatic this one have a nice and calming feeling. I bet watching even lowers my blood pressure.

I do not have high blood pressure but yes that is a lovely image that does seem to make you feel relaxed and inspires me to try and achieve myr best in my images, even though at this stage my images are maybe not so difficult or impressive still makes me strive for better.

That is really fantastic Martin and well worth the hours of processing (or Re-Processing) 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I love it! It certainly isn't brassy. This is more oboe than trumpet, methinks...

Really good image.

Olly

Haha! Thank you Ollie, it will now be by New World Overture image.

59 minutes ago, gorann said:

Your image have gone from very good to really outstanding. Impressive how you managed to bring out that extra Oiii in the second image. While many astro images are quite dramatic this one have a nice and calming feeling. I bet watching even lowers my blood pressure.

Thank you Gorann, if I hadn't retired as a doctor I could have made a poster of it and put in in my consulting room!

36 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I do not have high blood pressure but yes that is a lovely image that does seem to make you feel relaxed and inspires me to try and achieve myr best in my images, even though at this stage my images are maybe not so difficult or impressive still makes me strive for better.

That is really fantastic Martin and well worth the hours of processing (or Re-Processing) 🙂 

Steve

Thank you Steve, your own images are pretty darned good!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Thank you Steve, your own images are pretty darned good!

Cheers, Martin, that is most encouraging. I think most of us are very self critical and nothing is ever 100% to our satisfaction but when I look back over the couple of years I have been doing this I see a remarkable improvement. I put this down in part to maybe better equipment (but this is only a small contribution) but mostly due to just trying harder, especially after seeing other great images on this forum that are inspiring, and a great deal of it due to all the great help and encouragement I get from SGL. I know the future improvements may not be as dramatic but there is always something to improve.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Cheers, Martin, that is most encouraging. I think most of us are very self critical and nothing is ever 100% to our satisfaction but when I look back over the couple of years I have been doing this I see a remarkable improvement. I put this down in part to maybe better equipment (but this is only a small contribution) but mostly due to just trying harder, especially after seeing other great images on this forum that are inspiring, and a great deal of it due to all the great help and encouragement I get from SGL. I know the future improvements may not be as dramatic but there is always something to improve.

Steve

I think what happens is that once the foundations are laid e.g. reliable guiding, focusing etc people start to collect more data on targets and refine their processing techniques.  Happily for all of us, there is no summit to the upward learning curve!

• Like 2

On 13/02/2020 at 17:49, MartinFransson said:

I was thinking of posting my image of Simeis 147 after capturing some O3 yesterday. Then I saw your image and realised I need a LOT more data 🤯

That is some serious detail and depth! Great work!

I had a lot of trouble Martin.  A lot of the OIII data had to be ditched owing to some high haze which was barely appreciable during imaging.  I needed pristine sky conditions with my Bortle 5 sky.

Thanks Tom!

• Like 1

Martin, that is one of the best Spaghettis that I have seen, nice one!

I notice that this is just Ha and OIII is there any SII around, not that it needs enhancing, just interested.

I was thinking of having a go with my Samyang 85mm on the smaller mount.

😎

Edited by Jkulin
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Martin, that is one of the best Spaghettis that I have seen, nice one!

I notice that this is just Ha and OIII is there any SII around, not that it needs enhancing, just interested.

I was thinking of having a go with my Samyang 85mm on the smaller mount.

😎

I didn't try to collect any SII.  Given the extreme faintness of the OIII I imagine it would be quite a challenge!

• Thanks 1