Nick Smith

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

Jiminy Cricket!!!

That is simply amazing!!

What camera Nick - the luminera?

Yep Daz. Took about 45 minutes to acquire the data, though I had to pop back out once I had "finished" to get a little bit I had missed. The focus had slipped a bit by the end as well, though as I shot the terminator first that area is all fairly sharp.

regards

Nick

Thanks again chaps

Michael,

I shot about 20 AVIs, though the final mosaic only contained 9 big bits and 5 smaller bits to fill in the gaps.

Each AVI was between 500-600 frames (this keeps things below 1Gb with the camera at 1390x1040). The processing was the normal stuff: a few alignment points in Registax and a final stack size between 100 and 250 frames depending on the quality of the video. Wavelets was just the smallest tweak on slider 1, with everything else deselected.

The mosaic was assembled in iMerge and levels and curves were adjusted in Photoshop, followed by a mild unsharp mask.

I suppose it took about 4-5 hours to process, though a lot of that was sitting waiting for Registax to do its stuff!

Regards

Nick

Everytime I see a pic. of the moon like this. I just want to go there. Funny thing is, when I was a kid,

(Lets see, when was that now?) :D All I dreamed about was going to Mars., and other more exotic worlds. The moon was never a contender. I suppose it has something to do with reality setting in. :(

Ron. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

I studied your posting, but i cant figure out the final pixel count in your image, in order to estimate the maximum print size that would be presentable. My son has a wide bed printer (30" wide) and I would like a really big moon picture for the room where I teach college astronomy. Is your work a candidate for this ? If so, would you consider parting with a copy of the image file? If not, do you know of other large images that i might obtain??

Burt Scott

Hi Nick,

I studied your posting, but i cant figure out the final pixel count in your image, in order to estimate the maximum print size that would be presentable. My son has a wide bed printer (30" wide) and I would like a really big moon picture for the room where I teach college astronomy. Is your work a candidate for this ? If so, would you consider parting with a copy of the image file? If not, do you know of other large images that i might obtain??

Burt Scott

Hi Burt

The image is about 13 megapixels at 72 dpi, which makes it 120 x 136 cm, so it should print out nicely at the size you're looking at. You're welcome to use it. Drop me a pm with your email and I'll forward the file.

Best regards

Nick

Archived