Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show Us Your Dobs

26 minutes ago, John said:

Lots of clouds here so not observing.

Hope somebody gets some sort of view with their dob somewhere :smiley:

So far I' have spent a bit of time on Vega. Absolutely stunning bright white disc at x187

so far the BST, s have been a little hit and miss with this scope. Hopefully I will get to see what ones work OK when it gets darker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

My friend DJ Paul popped over with his new 300p flex few clear patches 

88B06785-6CD1-4335-A1C4-346BB4C43B8C.jpeg

63DFC948-8861-4EDF-AD44-25C9667C6C07.jpeg

Thank you Garry for all your help sorting the collimation of my 300p.

• Like 1

New finder to replace the cheap plasticky one that comes with the Bresser Dob. With this and the new Telrad, nothing will escape my gaze..... mwahahahah!

Just need to get them both fitted. What was the Synta/Vixen finder shoe that a few folks here recommended to replace the Bresser shoe?

IMG_20200616_151927252.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

That's a monster, which one is it?

I bought one of these and just used the central point and one of the screw points from existing, which is secure enough for my SW 9x50 RACI: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-universal-quick-release-finder-shoe-base.html

It's: https://www.altairastro.com/altair-10x60mm-raci-finder-scope-90-deg-erect-image-prism-variable-illuminator-eyepiece-2504-p.asp

but from Astro Buy & Sell

• Like 1

@johninderby I noted that you sold some primary collimation springs recently, are you finding that collimation is not holding? I ask, because mine doesn't seem to at all. I've been slowly tightening mine and surprised last night that it hadn't travelled all of 5 metres without moving? I have been tightening the secondary screws too. No real issue as it doesn't take long, but was sure you did say yours held well, at one point?

Haen’t had to collimate mine in aboit six months. Bought the springs to try out but besides being too short don’t think they were any stronger than the stock Besser ones. 

I carry pit two collimations really. Once with the main screws then tighten the locking screws tightly then adjust  the locking screws to re-collimate and bring back into colimation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Haen’t had to collimate mine in aboit six months. Bought the springs to try out but besides being too short don’t think they were any stronger than the stock Besser ones. 

I carry pit two collimations really. Once with the main screws then tighten the locking screws tightly then adjust  the locking screws to re-collimate and bring back into colimation.

Maybe I need to continue trying to lock them up a little more yet? I have been tightening the locking screws too.

I’ve bought a 300p flex tube and after 1 week of  haar tonight was clear.  At 57N up here in Aberdeenshire it doesn’t get dark. 

my first dobsonian 🙂

DB675176-3F2F-40F5-A34F-AA77E081F9EE.jpeg

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Pixies said:

Made some counterweights as per:

IMG_20200629_234613315.jpg

IMG_20200629_233700011.jpg

That's a nifty solution. I'm glad mine hasn't needed any counter balancing, yet. 

Loving the mods, shame I asked @Ricochet about his mods in another thread, would have been better suited here. I have pinched one of those ideas and am trying to find a B&Q store with the shed mate levelling feet, my local store didn't have any! My favoured spot in the garden isn't level, and whilst it's not absolutely detrimental to how the dob works of course, I just wanted a make it better,  so I have cut a circular piece of 18mm ply ready for said levelling feet. I also need to have a move around in the shed which is close to my little preferred spot. In the winter months, it will make a good place to have the EP case under cover and will also be where I store the dob overnight following a session, makes more sense than anywhere else. 

• Like 2

That's a great counterweight solution for a steel tubed scope :thumbright:

My Orion Optics 12 inch has an aluminum tube so I've gone for a knife rack, some screws through it to create little shelves in 2 positions along the rack, and a couple of old TAL counter weights of 750g and 1500g.

Gives me lots of "quick change" weight options depending what I have hanging out of the other end and also depending on the angle that the scope is pointing at :smiley:

dobcwsystem.thumb.JPG.bbae4b12db1ae32ab690f705d20361c5.JPG

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, John said:

That's a great counterweight solution for a steel tubed scope :thumbright:

My Orion Optics 12 inch has an aluminum tube so I've gone for a knife rack, some screws through it to create little shelves in 2 positions along the rack, and a couple of old TAL counter weights of 750g and 1500g.

Gives me lots of "quick change" weight options depending what I have hanging out of the other end and also depending on the angle that the scope is pointing at :smiley:

dobcwsystem.thumb.JPG.bbae4b12db1ae32ab690f705d20361c5.JPG

i had similar but just removed it as I couldn’t be bothered to carry weights around with the scope and with the way my tube is held inside a sort of cradle it’s easier just to shift the tube up or down if balance is too far out to maintain set altitude.